Unusual Wolverine Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronzeman

Train Attendant
We rode yesterday’s (7/17) Wolverine (#354) CHI-ARB. When we detained in Ann Arbor we noticed that the rear of the train had at least the following additional equipment: Charger Locomotive, two Viewliner diners, sleeper, baggage car and a P42 locomotive on the rear (which appeared to be running). I was loading the family into the car so I did not have an opportunity to observe more closely.

I know deadhead moves are common for repositioning purposes, I just cannot imagine why this equipment would be needed in Pontiac MI. We also noted that, unlike on our inbound trip to CHI, our top speed never reached 110 with this consist.

Any ideas?

The Charger isn't anything special. They've been rolling them out onto the Wolverienes this week... soon we'll be all Chargers!

Not sure about the Viewliners however, wonder if they're a rental or being used by an executive (although usually we then see either the dome or Beech Grove). I asked on the local MI railfan board.

peter

Just this morning I noticed an odd lineup turning at the wye in the CN yard a mile or two north of the Pontiac station. (I have a bird's eye view of the yard from my office.) There was a Charger leading, followed by (in this order): an Amfleet, a Viewliner baggage, two Viewliners (couldn't tell from a distance whether they were sleepers, diners, etc.), another Viewliner baggage, and a Horizon. No locomotive on the end. It came into the yard from the direction of the station, used the wye, then headed back toward the station.

Perhaps some sort of testing of the Charger with various equipment?

Just this morning I noticed an odd lineup turning at the wye in the CN yard a mile or two north of the Pontiac station. (I have a bird's eye view of the yard from my office.) There was a Charger leading, followed by (in this order): an Amfleet, a Viewliner baggage, two Viewliners (couldn't tell from a distance whether they were sleepers, diners, etc.), another Viewliner baggage, and a Horizon. No locomotive on the end. It came into the yard from the direction of the station, used the wye, then headed back toward the station.

Perhaps some sort of testing of the Charger with various equipment?

PTC testing?

I'm not sure if it's PTC testing but I doubt it's testing for the Charger.

The only thing I can think of is the cars were used for Axel count.

Axle count additions have happened before, but not to this extent. Usually just a single Viewliner bag tacked on to bring up the markers. There’s no way an AML train was short enough to warrant all of that extra equipment. CN minimum axle count is 32 last I heard. The addition was 20 axles, not counting the second Charger. That would mean there were two chargers and one coach to meet the minimum axle requirements.

People on my other forum are referring it as an ITCS test train. Apparently it's run back and forth between CHI & PNT a few times now not as part of a Wolverine.

peter

People on my other forum are referring it as an ITCS test train. Apparently it's run back and forth between CHI & PNT a few times now not as part of a Wolverine.

peter

I saw it again yesterday (6/19) while I was out on a walk for my lunch break. I figured they had to be using it for some sort of testing of *something*. Aside from it just being an unusual consist, it was spending way too much time in and out of the yard, and at odd times, too.

Back