Unusual reservation request, can Amtrak handle it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texan Eagle

Conductor
I am planning to redeem a 2 zone AGR based trip to go from San Jose to Chicago using Coast Starlight and Empire Builder. However on the date I wish to travel, the Portland section of Builder doesn't have any roomettes left. The Seattle section has a few. So if I decide I want to split the trip like this-

1) San Jose to Portland by Coast Starlight roomette

2) Portland to Spokane by Empire Builder in coach

3) At Spokane move to Seattle section of Builder to continue to Chicago in roomette

If I tell this to an Amtrak rep on the phone, do you think they will accommodate such a request as a single 2 zone redemption or is it beyond acceptable norms?

As long as there are rooms, there will be no problem! I do it all the time.

in fact on my last trip, I had a Roomette on 28 from PDX-WPT and a Roomette on 8 from WPT-CHI. Because the room was available, and with a long stop and a long platform, I was allowed to switch on the outside of the train in Havre instead. If your room on 28 is not sold from SPK for some distance, they may (and I say may) let you stay in the room overnight. Speak with your SCA and conductor on 28!

EDIT: After rereading your post, I see you're going coach PDX-SPK. That should be no problem. Just be aware you'll miss out on the boxed dinner out of PDX. I consider it the best meal on Amtrak! (They are prepared by a gourmet restaurant in PDX!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I remember someone on here posting that they were able to have AGR allow a "less than 24-hour stop-over" in Seattle between the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder very recently. Of course, the hotel stay was on their dime, but AGR allowed it instead of doing the PDX transfer.

Would you be interested in spending the night in Seattle if AGR would accommodate a request since no sleepers are available between PDX and SPK? The only other downside I can see if they would allow it would either be leaving home one day earlier in order to get into Chicago as originally desired, or getting into Chicago one day later because of the overnight.

Just a suggestion to try?

Hmm... I remember someone on here posting that they were able to have AGR allow a "less than 24-hour stop-over" in Seattle between the Coast Starlight and the Empire Builder very recently. Of course, the hotel stay was on their dime, but AGR allowed it instead of doing the PDX transfer.
Would you be interested in spending the night in Seattle if AGR would accommodate a request since no sleepers are available between PDX and SPK? The only other downside I can see if they would allow it would either be leaving home one day earlier in order to get into Chicago as originally desired, or getting into Chicago one day later because of the overnight.

Just a suggestion to try?
we did that in march without problem.

Unfortunately going via Seattle is not an option since I am tight on time. I need to start that particular evening only from SJC and have to reach CHI that day only. Hence I am willing to sacrifice the boxed lunch out of PDX and spend few hours "downgrading" to coach if Amtrak can accommodate my request of roomette from SJC to PDX, coach from PDX to Spokane, roomette from Spokane to CHI on a single 2 zone reward ticket.

Unfortunately going via Seattle is not an option since I am tight on time. I need to start that particular evening only from SJC and have to reach CHI that day only. Hence I am willing to sacrifice the boxed lunch out of PDX and spend few hours "downgrading" to coach if Amtrak can accommodate my request of roomette from SJC to PDX, coach from PDX to Spokane, roomette from Spokane to CHI on a single 2 zone reward ticket.
Just call and try. This should work.

People have downgraded before to coach to make a trip happen, so it shouldn't be a problem.

You do need to understand however that you won't get a break on the points, they are still going to have to charge you the full amount for the sleeper award, even though you won't be in a sleeper that one night between Portland & Spokane or some point further east.

People have downgraded before to coach to make a trip happen, so it shouldn't be a problem.
You do need to understand however that you won't get a break on the points, they are still going to have to charge you the full amount for the sleeper award, even though you won't be in a sleeper that one night between Portland & Spokane or some point further east.
A couple of Points (no Pun intended) to consider: In the past several of us that have been "Downgraded" from Sleeper to Coach due to Bad Ordered Sleepers/mix ups by Reservations etc., have been allowed to eat in the Diner for No Charge (on the PDX Section of #28 we had our own "Coach-Sleeper with an Attendant and the Delicious Box Dinner) and Received a Voucher from Customer Relations! AGR really doesn't like to Refund Points so Good Will Vouchers and/or Fee Free Refunds for the Missed Sleeper Leg are the Methods they usually use to make Customers "Whole!"

A couple of Points (no Pun intended) to consider: In the past several of us that have been "Downgraded" from Sleeper to Coach due to Bad Ordered Sleepers/mix ups by Reservations etc., have been allowed to eat in the Diner for No Charge (on the PDX Section of #28 we had our own "Coach-Sleeper with an Attendant and the Delicious Box Dinner) and Received a Voucher from Customer Relations! AGR really doesn't like to Refund Points so Good Will Vouchers and/or Fee Free Refunds for the Missed Sleeper Leg are the Methods they usually use to make Customers "Whole!"
There is a difference. You were given voucher/meal because you were downgraded from sleeper to coach for no mistake of yours. In my case, I am out of my own free will going to ask Amtrak to accommodate me in coach for the section between PDX and Spokane since there are no roomettes available. This, I believe, comes with implicit rider that I know what I am doing and I don't see Amtrak having any obligation to refund me any points or offer vouchers... of course if they give, I will happily take it :D

Unfortunately going via Seattle is not an option since I am tight on time. I need to start that particular evening only from SJC and have to reach CHI that day only.
Did I read that correctly? You're tight on time and you absolutely positively must arrive on the original target date. Are you messing with us or are you just anxious to test your fate?

There is a difference. You were given voucher/meal because you were downgraded from sleeper to coach for no mistake of yours. In my case, I am out of my own free will going to ask Amtrak to accommodate me in coach for the section between PDX and Spokane since there are no roomettes available. This, I believe, comes with implicit rider that I know what I am doing and I don't see Amtrak having any obligation to refund me any points or offer vouchers... of course if they give, I will happily take it :D
I concur!

There is a slight chance, very slight, that you might be able to talk your way into one of the boxed meals if there are any left over, but I sure wouldn't bet on any leftovers much less that you could talk your way into getting one.

But I can promise that there will be no vouchers or refund of points, since you are taking a voluntary downgrade in order to be able to book this trip. That is as you note, not the same as Amtrak saying "Oops, we don't have a sleeper car to run today and you'll have to go to coach. Sorry!" They are very different!

Unfortunately going via Seattle is not an option since I am tight on time. I need to start that particular evening only from SJC and have to reach CHI that day only.
Did I read that correctly? You're tight on time and you absolutely positively must arrive on the original target date. Are you messing with us or are you just anxious to test your fate?
I have to agree. I'd never take two long-distance trains (especially if there is only an hour connection) to Chicago if I had to be in Chicago on the scheduled arrival date. The last time I relied on the Empire Builder to get me to Chicago in time for an 8 p.m. curtain time, the train arrived at 4:00 a.m. the next morning, and I had to turn back the tickets for the tax write-off. All it takes is one truck at a grade crossing, and the train is suddenly hours late, and God knows there are a lot of grade crossings on the Hi Line.

I have to agree. I'd never take two long-distance trains (especially if there is only an hour connection) to Chicago if I had to be in Chicago on the scheduled arrival date. The last time I relied on the Empire Builder to get me to Chicago in time for an 8 p.m. curtain time, the train arrived at 4:00 a.m. the next morning, and I had to turn back the tickets for the tax write-off. All it takes is one truck at a grade crossing, and the train is suddenly hours late, and God knows there are a lot of grade crossings on the Hi Line.
Sorry to get you guys worried. I should have explained better. So basically I am doing this trip solely because I want to ride the Empire Builder end to end and since I am redeeming AGR, might as well throw in Starlight to head to Portland instead of flying to PDX/SEA to start the trip. I have limited days off from work, hence the rigid schedule. I have to leave by Wed night from SJC to get on Builder that leaves PDX Thu evening and arrives CHI Sat evening so that it gives me one day in Chicago to see around (never been to Chicago) and can then take a flight back to SFO on Sunday.

Worst case scenario what can happen?

Starlight gets delayed several hours between SJC-PDX? What happens then? I guess Amtrak will try their best to bus/cab me from some point on Starlight route to "catch up" with the Builder I guess?

Builder gets say eight hours delayed and reaches CHI at night instead of afternoon? Well I miss out few hours out of Chicago sightseeing, that's about it.

As long as Builder doesn't end up being 12+ hours late into CHI, I don't have serious problems.

Famous last words - as long as the EB doesn't end up 12+ hours late.....

I thought I would be fine with a 30 hour layover in CHI last summer.....and I almost missed my connection. The eB had a rough summer last year - are there any indications this year will be better?

Back