Until Friday (8/24): Seniors save 30% on coach fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it that it seems like they always prohibit accommodation upgrades with these kinds of discounts? If it makes sense for Amtrak to offer 30% the coach fare, why not allow it to be used for the base rail fare? It just frustrates me.

Why is it that it seems like they always prohibit accommodation upgrades with these kinds of discounts? If it makes sense for Amtrak to offer 30% the coach fare, why not allow it to be used for the base rail fare? It just frustrates me.
It's a matter of selling otherwise empty seats for 'break even' (or, at least, getting some extra revenue for the trains), but not 'giving away' the ship. I'd love to use a couple of upgrade coupons for such 'fire sale' priced seats, but there's a limit to their 'generosity' to fill seats.

For what it's worth, I'm going to do a couple trips at these prices. Now that the senior discount is only 10% I book as an adult on NEC trains to get the 'saver' price which is 15%, I think. It makes trips like I'm on right now during double TQP days real 'fun' to book. It's 2-4 separate reservations...2 multi-train trips on the NEC at adult saver prices, then a senior ticket in a roomette on 91, and returning using AGR points on the meteor in a roomette, where I am right now.

By the way, I didn't see any restrictions that these tickets were only for corridor trains. LD coach isn't bad at all and has the most legroom of ANY Amtrak coach accomodations other than Business Class on the Pacific Surfliner trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's 30% off Value fare whatever that might be. It could be 5% less than Saver fare but not for sure.
That's how I interpret the email. I just re-read it. The NEC is off limits for this sale. So it's LD trains and all other regionals.

Might be limited to Select Plus and Executive only? I'm Select Plus. Did other AGR members get this email too?

Here's what I got...

bdadfb90-5033-4d39-9bda-d9de8aea0c65.png
PLAN YOUR NEXT TRIP » Book through Friday and save on select routes

BOOK TODAY For 4 days only, seniors 65 and up can save 30%. From September 5 through November 15, get on board for your next exciting trip—free from traffic. Plus, you can put your mind at ease because Amtrak has amenities like bringing up to two personal items and two bags for free. Get ready to travel for less during our Senior 4-Day Sale.
Book today for travel from September 5 through November 15, 2018, because this offer ends Friday.

Looking for other ways to save? See other everyday discounts now.
f7608c6f-8f70-43d0-9ec1-dcf9dcd2a74d.png
Amtrak.com Deals Plan Contact Us Amtrak Guest Rewards® Terms and conditions:

This offer is available at www.Amtrak.com. This offer is intended for seniors age 65 and older for 30% off Coach rail fare. This offer is valid for sale August 21 – August 24, 2018 and is valid for travel September 5 – November 15, 2018 for all service except Acela Express®, Auto Train®, Northeast RegionalSM and 7000-8999 Thruways. This offer is valid for Coach seats only; no accommodation upgrades permitted. Seating is limited; seats may not be available on all trains at all times. Fares are subject to availability. One child age 2 – 12 may accompany each senior at half the regular adult fare. Valid proof of age is required for the discount and on board the train. This offer is subject to any restrictions, blackouts and cancellation rules that apply to the type of fare purchased; a 25% cancellation fee applies. This offer is not valid for onboard ticket purchase. This offer is not combinable with any other discount offer. Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice. Once travel has begun; no changes to the itinerary are permitted. Other restrictions may apply. Please refer to promo code v101. Amtrak, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Acela Express, Auto Train and Northeast Regional are service marks of the National Railroad Passenger Corporation.

Our mailing address is:

Amtrak, Marketing Department

1 Massachusetts Ave NW

Washington, DC 20001

I am a senior and Select Executive and I received the email. I have a friend who is Select Plus and not a senior, and he received the email. The email may not have been targeted to seniors.

I am Select, not a Senior, and received the email.

It's on Amtrak's Facebook page too, so it must be open for all Seniors.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, I'm going to do a couple trips at these prices. Now that the senior discount is only 10% I book as an adult on NEC trains to get the 'saver' price which is 15%, I think. It makes trips like I'm on right now during double TQP days real 'fun' to book. It's 2-4 separate reservations...2 multi-train trips on the NEC at adult saver prices, then a senior ticket in a roomette on 91, and returning using AGR points on the meteor in a roomette, where I am right now.

By the way, I didn't see any restrictions that these tickets were only for corridor trains. LD coach isn't bad at all and has the most legroom of ANY Amtrak coach accomodations other than Business Class on the Pacific Surfliner trains.
I haven't seen anything about double TQP Days, do you have any more information on it?

I am not a senior and I received the email. I do not have any status. I did take one trip using the 15% senior discount but then Amtrak raised the age from 62 to 65 so I am not a senior until next year.

Back