Unreserved Trains - Seat Check

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahZ

Quality Control
When traveling on an unreserved train, how do they keep track of standing passengers?

Do they simply give you a seat check to hold onto since you aren't actually in a seat?

When traveling on an unreserved train, how do they keep track of standing passengers?

Do they simply give you a seat check to hold onto since you aren't actually in a seat?
Believe they do...

Back in the old days, men would stick the seat check in their fedora hat band....and before you ask...yes, men would yield their seats to any ladies standing...
default_hi.gif
default_tongue.png

Back in the old days, men would stick the seat check in their fedora hat band....and before you ask...yes, men would yield their seats to any ladies standing...
default_hi.gif
default_tongue.png
I still see that on commuter trains and public transit.
default_smile.png
I've never been on an unreserved Amtrak train, so I have yet to see it happen, but I've seen many passengers offer to switch seats so couples/families/groups can sit together.

Believe they do...Back in the old days, men would stick the seat check in their fedora hat band....and before you ask...yes, men would yield their seats to any ladies standing...
default_hi.gif
default_tongue.png
Which explains why one of our chiefs in Seattle calls it a hat check.
...He's been around a while.

Sure. Every passenger is supposed to get one, seated or not. The newer ones are printed instead of using hand notation.

I would sometimes seek out the conductor and then take the seat check with me to the cafe car and place it where it was visible.

Sure. Every passenger is supposed to get one, seated or not. The newer ones are printed instead of using hand notation.

I would sometimes seek out the conductor and then take the seat check with me to the cafe car and place it where it was visible.
On the Silver Star, I am always told to keep the seat check at my assigned seat, but I have noticed that once it gets late at night they will usually give out a second seat check to the passengers in the cafe car.

On the Silver Star, I am always told to keep the seat check at my assigned seat, but I have noticed that once it gets late at night they will usually give out a second seat check to the passengers in the cafe car.
I think BCL means he's not seating in a regular seat, but chooses to sit in the cafe car. I've done that a few times between PHL-WIL (~20 min ride) rather than look for a seat

I think BCL means he's not seating in a regular seat, but chooses to sit in the cafe car. I've done that a few times between PHL-WIL (~20 min ride) rather than look for a seat
I was thinking of how it's done on Capitol Corridor. I would fold over the seat check and have it stand on a cafe table if I was going to spend my entire ride in the cafe.

Showing my age again, but back in the days when I used to 'dress up' for travel, if I left my seat to go to the dome car or lounge, I would stick my seat check behind my tie clip...
default_smile.png

On a trip from WIL to BWI on the NER, I had to stand almost the whole way. I never got a seat check and had to ask the conductor when getting off the train to scan my ticket so I got the pints!

On a trip from WIL to BWI on the NER, I had to stand almost the whole way. I never got a seat check and had to ask the conductor when getting off the train to scan my ticket so I got the pints!
The NER isn't unreserved. How did that happen?

Could be any number of ways. Some I can think of.*People using 10 ride passes, or whatever they’re called

*Seat hogs

*Train was a rescue train for another train

Could be any number of ways. Some I can think of.*People using 10 ride passes, or whatever they’re called

*Seat hogs

Also some NERs pick up MARC passengers holding monthly passes.

Rail Freak, and MikefromCrete....

You call yourselves, "railfans"?

A tie?

Why....that's the thing that supports the rails, of course, and the clip holds 'em together....
default_mosking.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

*Seat hogs

Also some NERs pick up MARC passengers holding monthly passes.
Similar thing with VRE, right?

Back