Uber upon arriving at MIA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palmetto

Engineer
Has anyone tried this option out? If so, I wonder how reliable Uber would be for a late train arrival, let's say around 10-11 PM?

It probably would be just fine. Last summer we hailed a Lyft from the Cincinnati bus depot to go to the train station sometime around midnight. There was a driver waiting right there in the parking lot at the Greyhound station just hanging out.

10-11 pm is going to be prime time for Uber business in a city like Miami. You should have lots of cars to choose from.

I have taken Uber several times from the Miami station. The cars were not waiting there, but the wait was minimal. I think the latest arrival I had into MIA was around 9:30. I prefer Uber over taxis in Miami.

The only caveat I would warn about is if you got there around the time the bars closed. Then you will likely experience tremendous price surges. This happened to me in Columbus Ohio when a Greyhound bus to Cleveland (to meet the train) cancelled and we had to use a Lyft/Uber to get to Cleveland in time to meet the train. We just waited the price surge out; checking the app every few minutes to see what the going rate was.

The only caveat I would warn about is if you got there around the time the bars closed. Then you will likely experience tremendous price surges. This happened to me in Columbus Ohio when a Greyhound bus to Cleveland (to meet the train) cancelled and we had to use a Lyft/Uber to get to Cleveland in time to meet the train. We just waited the price surge out; checking the app every few minutes to see what the going rate was.
Surge pricing around closing time near the Amtrak station is very unlikely. The station is in a very industrial part of town without very many clubs or bars around. While there is always the possibility of increased demand it is more likely to come from people at the station ordering Uber’s than it is the bar and club crowd.

provided you aren't in a huge hurry.. you can save a lot of money by just waiting 10-15 minutes for surge pricing to go down. Surge pricing is to get more drivers on the road and in an area, once the drivers are there UBER many times will lower the price again which is a bit of a nasty trick to the drivers but still... my last Uber pick-up from LAX went from over $100 to $49 LAX to Anaheim in about 20 minutes.

I still don’t understand how the rates are computed. Yes I understand surge pricing.

Last week, I had to take Lyft from a restaurant. It was $12.80, but my group wasn’t ready. So when I tried again 3 minutes later, the fare was $12.79 - a whole 1¢ less!o_O

Back