Trip from Ind,to Klamath Falls

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericjeeper

Train Attendant
Trying to figure out the details. This is for Jan 2017.

We want to take the CZ west to Eme. Then coastal starlight to Klamath. But we would like to bring the southwest Chief back home. If we ride the CS back to LA,it seems we will have a 21 hour lay over... Any other ideas?

The Coast Starlight does not connect southbound with the eastbound Southwest Chief. Basically, two alternatives: Get off in Sacramento ( other possibilities as to the transfer point ) and take the San Joaquin train to Bakersfield, then the Thruway bus to LA. I have done this once. It's not a bad trip, but is inferior in scenery to the coastal route. If you can arrange an extra day on your trip, I suggest that you overnight in Santa Barbara, or perhaps San Luis Obispo. ( The latter has more limited service. ) My friend and I stayed two nights in a nice B&B in Santa Barbara in December and then took the mid-afternoon Surfline to LA to connect with the Southwest Chief. I would recommend this - Santa Barbara is a nice place to spend a night or two.

Not wishing to take the CZ east. Either the southwest chief or texas eagle?

Agree with Eric that a layover in Santa Barbara is a good choice and then a Surfliner to LA the next day. We did this a few years ago and found plenty to do in SB, a good hotel close to the station, and a nice ride along the coast in daylight to make the SWC connection in L.A.

I did that very same trip last fall (except my stop is CMO, the next station north of KFS). I chose to take the Zephyr eastbound, and the SW Chief westbound, and here are my reasons:

• I've taken the CZ westbound, and the midnight connection in SAC was a killer for me. Yes, it'll be a little easier if you stay on the Zephyr all the way to EMY, but you'll still have a late evening connection, and it gets later really fast if the nporthbound CS is running late. Wouldn't you rather already be on the CS? Whether you you take the SWC or the CZ westbound, you'll be on the SAME DAY'S TRAIN once you pass the connection point.
  • If you connect from a southbound CS to the eastbound CZ, it's a morning connection. Breakfast in Sacramento, and an hour or two to walk around, and then you are on the CZ headed into the Sierra mountains.
  • If you stay on the southbound CS all the way to LAX in winter, one of the best parts of the trip (the southern California coastline) will be in darkness. If the train's at all late, you don't even get to see the descent from the Coast Range into San Luis Obispo in daylight. Trust me, I always travel in winter, and that's one of my most frequent rides. The northbound CS goes through this section in late morning thru mid-afternoon.
If you really, really need to take the route in the opposite direction (for your own reasons), here's what I have done when connecting to the Sunset Ltd: Hubby and I stay in San Luis Obispo, at the Peach Tree Inn. It's quiet and reasonable. We've looked at Santa Barbara, and decided it was way, way above our budget (OK, we stayed there once, on the floor of a friend's apartment way up in the north end of town. It was worth it for the walk in the hills with the friend, and picking up the tree-ripe oranges that had fallen outside the fences on the sidewalk. I never had tree-ripe oranges before). SLO has a charming walkable downtown, and an every-Thursday-night downtown farmers market. From SLO, you have to take an early morning Surfliner to LAX, but the coast view makes getting up early worth it!

We've also gone all the way to LA, and stayed in a modest motel in Chinatown. We loved the food, and the other tourist opportunities.

I concur that missing the CS would be a shame and the clockwise rotation is basically what we are doing in May with stops at the Grand Canyon and SAC for Yosemite.

However you do it, enjoy

Not wishing to take the CZ east. Either the southwest chief or texas eagle?
Why not the CZ east?Would you be better to take the EB from Portland?
We took the EB east in Jan,out of Spokane.. Imho,that was a miserable trip. We were the caboose, the tracks were rough as a cob. Had to walk several cars forward to the diner.
We want to take a different route coming back home. But,love the scenery going west on the cz.

The scenery going east on the CZ is essentially the same as it is going west, because the CZ covers the same ground during daylight hours in either direction.

About the only difference is that eastbound the sun will be at your back in the mornings, and westbound the morning sun will be at your back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The scenery going east on the CZ is essentially the same as it is going west, because the CZ covers the same ground during daylight hours in either direction.

About the only difference is that westbound the sun will be at your back in the mornings, and eastbound the morning sun will be at your back.
Is it just me having a sleepy brain or is there something :blink: with this?

Yeah it was probably just a typo. Travelling east the sun will be on your back in the evening. Rises in the east, sets in the west.

Just checking... Today Amtrak is showing a connection between the southbound CS and the eastbound SWC at LA.

Another option is southbound CS via a thruway bus connection to Stockton, SJ 712 to Bakersfield, then in turn a connection to a thruway bus to Barstow (bus terminal or train station) at 4:00 in the afternoon. You could then amuse yourself in that entertainment hotspot until the SWC comes through around 9:50pm. Amtrak does not show a connection at Barstow though there is ample time.

This does seem to be a serious omission in Amtrak and California service plans, in not using a Barstow-Bakersfield link as a cutoff route for SWC and eventually Las Vegas services.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take the bus to Barstow! Take the 5412 bus to San Bernardino. It gets to SNB at 5:20PM. The SWC will pick you up at about 7:54PM.

Bus 3712 from SAC to Stockton. San Joaquin 712 south to Bakersfield.

You'll have a little time to get breakfast in Sacramento before the bus to Stockton.

In 2001 the bus that was to take me to San Bernardino to catch the SWC had dual flat tires. 2 of us rode on another bus to Barstow to make our connection.

The bus driver had never been to the Barstow station and had to ask someone.

I'd much rather spend 2.5 hours in San Bernardino than even 1.5 hours at the Barstow station.

The Coast Starlight does not connect southbound with the eastbound Southwest Chief. Basically, two alternatives: Get off in Sacramento ( other possibilities as to the transfer point ) and take the San Joaquin train to Bakersfield, then the Thruway bus to LA. I have done this once. It's not a bad trip, but is inferior in scenery to the coastal route. If you can arrange an extra day on your trip, I suggest that you overnight in Santa Barbara, or perhaps San Luis Obispo. ( The latter has more limited service. ) My friend and I stayed two nights in a nice B&B in Santa Barbara in December and then took the mid-afternoon Surfline to LA to connect with the Southwest Chief. I would recommend this - Santa Barbara is a nice place to spend a night or two.
Can you tell which B&B that you stayed at? I grew up in Santa Barbara and am planning a trip down memory lane, have a sister and brother in law living there, but don't really want to stay with them in their apartment, but want to see them, but be somewhat removed and independent!

Agree with Ms Oregon re San Luis Obispo, we spent an afternoon and evening there waiting for the early morning Surf Liner to Los Angeles. Easy going walkable town with reasonable lodging options and a choice of where to eat, can't really fault it.

Taking a quick look at the schedules it all works from Klamath to SLO and SLO to LAX to give you plenty of time to connect with the SWC. Have say that we would try the Santa Barbara option if there were a next time and if it fitted our schedule.

Ronbo- Chesire Cat Inn. I recommend highly. About a mile from the station. We took Uber. Just off State Street within a few blocks walk of fine restaurants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back