Trains that kept their pre-Amtrak numbers

Discussion in 'Museum of Amtrak Timetables Discussion' started by Siegmund, Jul 28, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jul 28, 2019 #1

Siegmund

Siegmund

Siegmund

Train Attendant

Since we've had several recent threads about the state of things in 1971... thought I'd open one more little trivia thread.

Introducing a national timetable meant Amtrak brought in their own nationwide train numbering system - and for almost all the trains that have run continuously since 1971 they've had the same number that whole time.
    That meant most trains HAD to be given new numbers on A-day.

So which of them got to keep their old numbers?

SP seems to have drawn the long straw here. The pre-Amtrak Sunset was 1/2, and the pre-Amtrak Cascade from Portland to Oakland was 11 southbound.

I'm not aware of any other long-distance examples, though I haven't made a systematic study. There are tiny little fragments that overlap... MP train 21/22 was a New Orleans-Fort Worth train that coincided with the Texas Eagle route from Longview to Ft Worth, for instance. I suppose there are so many 2-digit train numbers in Empire Service that they are bound to have accidentally repeated a NYC train number somewhere.

Anybody have any other examples handy?

2. Jul 28, 2019 #2

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter AU Supporter

Most trains that became Amtrak trains were list by the freight railroad as Train #1, Train #2. Only the Sunset keep those numbers. As for other overlaps there has been some adjustments in the train numbers by Amtrak, so the year you examine is a detail that would be need.

I recall Coast Starlight have different numbers at one point.

dogbert617 likes this.
  3. Jul 28, 2019 #3

dogbert617

d

dogbert617

OBS Chief

Not long ago I saw a pre-1970 schedule from 1969 that was from Western Pacific for the California Zephyr, and I saw they numbered the westbound train as train #17, and the eastbound train as train #18. This was back when the CZ used a different route(west of Winnemucca, NV) going to Gerlach, NV, and Portola, CA among other places on the western part of the CZ route.

I suspect few long distance trains aside from #1, #2, and #11 used their original train numbers. Maybe there might be a few other 3 digit Amtrak trains, still using their original pre-Amtrak numbers? This is a discussion, I'll leave to those who are more familiar with pre-Amtrak things.

4. Jul 29, 2019 #4

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

As was discussed in another thread...the first couple of years of Amtrak...most trains still in operation, kept their previous pre-Amtrak train numbers, sometimes resulting in two or more trains around the nation having the same number. Sometime around 1973, Amtrak took a more pro-active role in the operation, and renumbered most of the trains into their new integrated scheme, eliminating previous duplication's.

dogbert617 likes this.
  5. Jul 31, 2019 #5

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

Nothing like the Canadian National timetable in the 1950s. Multiple numbers repeated themselves on the railroad.

For instance Train No. 1 refers to two different trains.

The Continental Limited (Montreal-Vancouver)
    The Maritime Limited
    (Halifax-Montreal)

6. Jul 31, 2019 #6

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

Without seeing if the schedules of those two trains allowed a connection....
    Just a guess, but...
    I would think that was a way of them suggesting that Train No. 1 went "coast-to-coast"
    Sort of like Highway 1 going from Newfoundland, over water via the ferry, and then all the way to BC...
    Just a way to show national continuity, perhaps...or not...:)
    More likely a continuation of their premier status over their respective routes, by predecessor companies...