Train Songs!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching some of the great videos on you tube and posted here brings to mind the following:
What are your favorite all time train songs???(Limit of 5 please!)Mine are:

1)Chattanoga Choo-Choo

2)City of New Orleans

3)Midnight Train to Georgia

4)This Train Doesnt Stop Here No More

5)Wabash Cannon Ball

***Honorable Mention: "Rocket from Decatur"(a friend of mine wrote it/hes a traveling folk singer in the West/Mid-West) ;)

Many of my favorites have been listed, but there are so many more!

Homeward Bound- Simon & Garfunkel

Locomotive Breath- Jethro Tull

Long Train Runnin'- Doobie Brothers

People Get Ready- Curtis Mayfield

Southbound Train- Crosby Stills & Nash

****Honorable Mentions**** Locomotion- Little Eva, When the Levee Breaks-Led Zepplin(not a train song, but it sure sounds like a train to me....)

More train songs here!

I forgot Midnight Special-Creedence Clearwater Revival

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here we go after lengthly considerations:
1. Downtown Train -- Tom Waits

2. Driver 8 -- R.E.M.

3. Ghost Train -- Counting Crows

4. Freight Train Blues -- Bawb Dylan

5. Last Train To Clarksville -- The Monkees

And of course every song Johnny Cash recorded on the subject!

I'm loading my iPod right now with every possible 'train'-song I can find for my upcoming trip, so please keep posting your fav's 5!

Ruud
Theres another Dylan song called "It takes a Lot to Laugh/It takes a Train to Cry"!You can even understand the words and thats rare for Bawb Mumbles!

Its on Highway 61 Revisted,would be a good one while rolling down the rails while listening to the I-Pod!

The Beatles' only actual "train song" was One After 909 but there are some other train mentions in their music:

Day Tripper ("one way ticket, yeah")

I've Got A Feeling ("I'd hate to miss the train")

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds ("Picture yourself on a train in a station, with plasticine porters with looking glass ties")

Ticket to Ride (probably?)

And of course, the A Hard Day's Night movie has some nice train scenes!

I kind of wish Simon & Garfunkel's America was about a train rather than a Greyhound!

Y'all have left out the greatest of them all, HANK SNOW. He made one whole album called 'Railroad Man' with nothing but railroad songs. Here is a sample:

The Last Ride

Doggone That Train

I'm Movin On

The Golden Rocket

Way Out There(Also by Sons of the Pioneers)

Casey Jones Was His Name

Southbound

The Streamlined Cannon Ball

Lonesome Whistle

Waiting For A Train

The Wreck of Number Nine

Pan American

Big Wheels

Ghost Trains

The Crazy Engineer

One More Ride

The Wreck of Old 97

Crazy Little Train of Love

The Christmas Cannonball

Hank Snow, 'the singing ranger' was a remarkable person. He was born in Nova Scotia, but soon moved to Nashville. He lived to be 85 years old and died at his Rainbow Ranch home in Madison, Tennessee in 1999. He recorded over 300 songs, had more than 120 albums and sold 70 million records. He had 7 #1 chart hits, 43 top 10 hits, 65 top 40 hits and charted 85 singles. He was married to the same person, Minnie Blanch Alders, for 64 years. And he wore the most outlandish and gaudy suits when he performed. Oddly, most of his recordings can be had from Bear Family Records in Hambergen, Germany. There is a web site also for Hank and they have annual reunions and concerts in Nova Scotia.

A number of his recordings are on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJQ1noW-5_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX6aLcTMvd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a7eaHIm-TQ

Well not nearly a favorite, but the one my AU name came from, when I joined I typed Train into iTunes and this was first so it became my AU name.

Long Train Runnin' -- The Doobie Brothers

Casey Jones -- The Grateful Dead

Train Time -- Cream

TRAIN KEPT A ROLLIN' -- Led Zeppelin

1.On the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe (hands down, I am told I played this constantly as a child.Sometimes I can find it in the slot machine at Johnny Rockets, When I do I play it about three times)
2.Orange Blossom Special

3.Chattanooga Choo Choo

4.City of New Orleans

5.Midnght train to Georgia
Guess I had better add a few.

Wreck of old 97'.Mother used to sing that to me. She was amused as I got older and was able to tell her some of the trains and train events she sang to me about were real. She had no idea, she was just singing to be singing.

Wabash Cannonball

Charlie of the MTA

John Henry

Long Black Train (some of which filmed at/on Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum.

LOL at "Petticoat Junction Theme Song". That's why I like logging in to AU, I usually get a good chuckle. (Last Train To Clarksville made me laff too......)

1. The City of New Orleans - Arlo Guthrie
  2. Canadian Railway Trilogy - Gordon Lightfoot
  3. Life's Railway to Heaven - Tennessee Ernie Ford
  4. I've Been Working on the Railroad - Children's Version
  5. The Railroad - Grand Funk Railroad (Live)

The only thing I can add to this resurrected thread is a catchy, well done performance from the late Holly Dunn, but passenger rail supporters should take their blood pressure medicine before listening..... :)

https://youtu.be/NxgzJCZbDII

The Pet Shop Boys make several station references in various songs.

Waterloo Kings Cross (about the station)

West End Girls (from Lake Geneva to the Fulham Station)

And there are some newer songs which escape me at the moment.

(though I do think they mention Waterloo Station as well)

Here's one I've been singing in the shower since about 1959:

Pat Methany, "Last Train Home" : https://youtu.be/Sq5oqY3-vhg
Listened to that song many a times sitting in the lounge car watching a beautiful sunset on the horizon, gives you chills. And on the Acela................Sounds good at 35K ft too. Love Pat Matheny Group. "Take me Home" by Phil Collins is cool too especially arriving into Chicago Union or wherever your home station is.

1) The City of New Orleans (Willie Nelson)

2) The Midnight Special (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

3) Homeward Bound (Simon & Garfunkel)

4) I'm a Train (Albert Hammond)

5) Chattanooga Choo-Choo (Glenn Miller)

Back