Train Jam 2019: CZ (5) March 14-16, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I have to ask the question everyone knows I have. Have you guys ever thought about using private railcars? I'm sure several operators would be all over it. And some would probably attempt to run it as a stand alone train.

But here is a question for others. I see the mention of a limit in Denver. However my locomotive guide (granted it's probably out of date because it lists the IPH Hoosier State) only lists a restriction of 15 cars at Chicago and 19 at Emeryville. Extra loco charge required for excessive PVs.

View attachment 12715
I've been thinking of looking into it, but I'm more curious what the capacity of private cars would be. Every time I've looked into it, it seems like the capacity is smaller than what's in the regular CZ setup. Between the 3 sleepers and 3 coach class cars (again, limiting sleepers to 2 per room), we have 342 spots....and those spots sell out within a few hours when we put the tickets on sale. Since there's such high demand, I'd be wary about going smaller.

But here is a question for others. I see the mention of a limit in Denver. However my locomotive guide only lists a restriction of 15 cars at Chicago and 19 at Emeryville. Extra loco charge required for excessive PVs.
Does look like there is capacity for additional cars to be add.  I know they have run a summer time length train, with a extra Lounge in the past.  Wonder what the charge would be for a one way rental of a sleeper or coach? It’s March so they overall capacity should be available.  Would it need the third engine?

But here is a question for others. I see the mention of a limit in Denver. However my locomotive guide only lists a restriction of 15 cars at Chicago and 19 at Emeryville. Extra loco charge required for excessive PVs.
Does look like there is capacity for additional cars to be add.  I know they have run a summer time length train, with a extra Lounge in the past.  Wonder what the charge would be for a one way rental of a sleeper or coach? It’s March so they overall capacity should be available.  Would it need the third engine?
When have any revenue CZs ever run with a second Lounge?

I've been thinking of looking into it, but I'm more curious what the capacity of private cars would be. Every time I've looked into it, it seems like the capacity is smaller than what's in the regular CZ setup. Between the 3 sleepers and 3 coach class cars (again, limiting sleepers to 2 per room), we have 342 spots....and those spots sell out within a few hours when we put the tickets on sale. Since there's such high demand, I'd be wary about going smaller.
Feel free to message me. I can look into it for you. I can reach out to my contacts.

Stay away from the Private railcars.  It’s doable if Amtrak start giving you problems.  But your capacity is limited and much more random.

Work on increase your passenger capacity using Amtrak equipment.  Max out the length of your trains, max out the hotel power.  It does look you can get another railcar in play.  Ask about the price and see if it something your organization would like to do.

Stay away from the Private railcars.  It’s doable if Amtrak start giving you problems.  But your capacity is limited and much more random.

Work on increase your passenger capacity using Amtrak equipment.  Max out the length of your trains, max out the hotel power.  It does look you can get another railcar in play.  Ask about the price and see if it something your organization would like to do.
Yeah - Amtrak has been super good to us and very accommodating. I really like the size we're at, so I don't even really have a desire to get any bigger...I just don't want to get any smaller either. From what I understand, we can't really get any bigger on this line, but perhaps I'm mistaken?

Now I have to ask the question everyone knows I have. Have you guys ever thought about using private railcars? I'm sure several operators would be all over it. And some would probably attempt to run it as a stand alone train.

But here is a question for others. I see the mention of a limit in Denver. However my locomotive guide (granted it's probably out of date because it lists the IPH Hoosier State) only lists a restriction of 15 cars at Chicago and 19 at Emeryville. Extra loco charge required for excessive PVs.

View attachment 12715
Can you link to that full spreadsheet? Thanks!

Yeah - Amtrak has been super good to us and very accommodating. I really like the size we're at, so I don't even really have a desire to get any bigger...I just don't want to get any smaller either. From what I understand, we can't really get any bigger on this line, but perhaps I'm mistaken?
The maximum on the CZ is 15 cars. So if Amtrak can gather the equipment, TrainJam could grow by a few.

Yes, your guidelines from 2 years ago are out of date.

The maximum on the CZ is 15 cars. So if Amtrak can gather the equipment, TrainJam could grow by a few.
Once again, there is currently a 14 piece limit in Denver.  Two years ago, the limit was 12.  I suppose it has to do with the issues Just-Thinking mentioned ( I do believe there is a picture of the fuel pads in one of the threads.) It may change before summer peak but as of now, there is a limit. 

Not that any of this matters since Ms. Adriel was quite clear:

Yeah - Amtrak has been super good to us and very accommodating. I really like the size we're at, so I don't even really have a desire to get any bigger..I just don't want to get any smaller either. From what I understand, we can't really get any bigger on this line, but perhaps I'm mistaken?
I watched your video on Train Jam (perhaps you can link it.)   It was very enlightening and shows that something so small has morphed into this. That being said,  based upon the current operating profile, your consist is almost maxed out. However, as Just-Thinking stated, there are possible avenues to explore if you were interested in maximizing your consist for next year.

Even without adding another rail car to the length of the train  the first thing that immediately pops into my mind is luggage. Do you really need a full luggage car for this trip?  How much luggage is checked for the journey?   If you're not sure, perhaps you can take a look this year and see if it is anywhere near full.  if it isn't, you can ask if can it be replaced with a Coach/Bag (coach seating on top baggage below), which would give you more seating capacity?

Such a move could yield an extra 50 coach seats without increasing the length of the consist. 

If you were interested of course! ^_^

Yes, your guidelines from 2 years ago are out of date.

Once again, there is currently a 14 piece limit in Denver.  Two years ago, the limit was 12.  I suppose it has to do with the issues Just-Thinking mentioned ( I do believe there is a picture of the fuel pads in one of the threads.) It may change before summer peak but as of now, there is a limit. 

Not that any of this matters since Ms. Adriel was quite clear:

I watched your video on Train Jam (perhaps you can link it.)   It was very enlightening and shows that something so small has morphed into this. That being said,  based upon the current operating profile, your consist is almost maxed out. However, as Just-Thinking stated, there are possible avenues to explore if you were interested in maximizing your consist for next year.

Even without adding another rail car to the length of the train  the first thing that immediately pops into my mind is luggage. Do you really need a full luggage car for this trip?  How much luggage is checked for the journey?   If you're not sure, perhaps you can take a look this year and see if it is anywhere near full.  if it isn't, you can ask if can it be replaced with a Coach/Bag (coach seating on top baggage below), which would give you more seating capacity?

Such a move could yield an extra 50 coach seats without increasing the length of the consist. 

If you were interested of course! ^_^
Yeah - the thought of an extra 50+ people is both interesting and terrifying. It's hard enough organizing almost 350 people coming from all over the world to all get on one train.....but I guess there's not actually THAT big of a difference between 400 and 350! I'll check the baggage this year- I would imagine it's fairly full though, especially as almost everyone is continuing on to another full week of the conference and whatnot, so people aren't packing particularly light.

I'm not sure exactly which video you're referring to (there's been a few), but it's probably the Vice News one, so I'll link that here: https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/we-spent-52-hours-on-a-train-full-of-video-game-programmers/5abaf533f1cdb362b24d4872. It's a pretty nice and quick look into what we are :D

I never railfan.....but when I do....

Here is #5(14) @ 18.32 BNSF Chicago Sub - Train Jam - 2019.

Consist:

P-42 130
P-42
Bagg
Dorm
Sleeper
Sleeper
Diner
Diner
Lounge
Coach
Coach
Coach
Lounge
11 cars

Attachments

• 20190314_145012.jpg
    20190314_145012.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 11
I caught the Train Jam at Agency, Iowa yesterday evening. It met a BNSF coal train here, and it also didn't hit any people (see 6:00). Phase II heritage unit AMTK 130 was leading, as noted above.

How come one Lounge is in the normal spot and the other is at the rear, with three coaches between them? Seems like an odd configuration...

I am betting the lounges both have wifi routers installed for all of the gamers, so putting the lounges far apart makes for a better distribution of the wifi signals to all of the cars (coaches and sleepers).

o_O Looks like the trip through Glenwood Canyon will be in the dark if the train leaves Denver with an etd of 12:44am arriving GJT 7:07am...

The fight does not go well. Train Jam is -17'45" out of GJC. 5(15) was canceled in its entirety. At this pace, we may see 6(17) impacted as well.

Likely account the extreme weather along the route, #5(14), or Px 130 West which it may have been operating as, is now expected EMY 917ML.

I think there is a trainload of young, educated, professionals proclaiming "never again" - and maybe that is what they want to hear @ One Mass. But as such, they will miss out on opening receptions, and "networking" opportunities, that will be held Saturday.

Bet some of them "jumped ship" at SLC and flew onward.

Last edited:
The conference part of this trip starts on Monday the 18th. The train parts should of end on Saturday 16th. So we may be OK. Of course the Twitter feed is heavy edited so the level of happiness is unknown.

Well, it's good to note that there hasn't been an "insurgency" amongst the highly talented, highly ambitious, young people aboard this train.

Guarantee you, on the Auto-Train "voyages" I've made over the years (until this year when they priced me out of the market), "arewethereyetitis" becomes quite endemic if it hasn't arrived by Noon.

Heavy Edited means the few negative post are not present anymore. No I am not a Twitter user. Just noticed that the one or two negative comments were available to read, have been removed. So why and who controls what you can read on Twitter if there no editing? I know my sister post a picture once on a Twitter account for me, and it was removed by the account holder at some point.

What do you mean by "heavily edited". Anyone can tweet using #trainjam2019 and you can read it. Sounds like the mood on board is pretty good to me. Nary a single "Never again" nor "Bailing at SLC. Your understanding of the kind of people that do this is lacking.

https://twitter.com/search?q=#TrainJam2019&src=tyah&lang=en

Back