Train Jam 2018: CZ (5) March 15-18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Train Jam is one-way CHI - San Francisco.

If Train Jam riders want to ride the train back to CHI it's on their own hook, not part of a group.

Last edited by a moderator:
Train Jam is one-way CHI - San Francisco.

If Train Jam riders want to ride the train back to CHI it's on their own hook, not part of a group.
I’m sure TR7 was referring to the trip out, not back.Most will probably fly home. Or they flew to Chicago from Silicon Valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

They fly all over the world, since this is a collection of game developer geeks from all over the world. They even have special programs for students in college, those developers in third world countries.

Interesting that they sell the rooms 2 to a room, so if you are traveling by yourself you get a roomie for the trip.

For me, the major issue is whether ticketed passengers are kicked off, as was done for the Safety Patrol train. That looks really, really bad and is a recipe for creating ill-will.

If this departure was sold to Train Jam before anyone else had a chance to buy tickets, I guess I'm OK with that.

Financially, I hope Amtrak has taken a hard look at how much money they'd get from just selling regular tickets vs. how much they get from doing this. In this case, Train Jam probably makes them more money, since the CZ has some seriously weak ridership during that part of March.

I'm not so sure about the Safety Patrol train vs. the Silver Meteor, since the Meteor seems to get pretty good ridership at that time of year, Safety Patrol train numbers are declining, and I would suspect it might not make financial sense at this point. 'Course I'm biased against the Safety Patrol train because gender-segregating kids in the 21st century is nutso.

Still, good to see people clamoring to ride the rails. A pity Amtrak has such an equipment shortage it can't add more to the consist on days like this, but I understand the logistical issues even if they could (deadheading back east among others, unless this group would be doing a RT).
An equipment shortage has nothing to do with this. At this point, this train is almost maximum length for DEN. It holds 14 pieces of equipment on the pit. The consist is up to 11 cars (1 bag, 1 transdorm, 3 coaches, 3 sleepers, 1 diner, 2 lounges) and you have at least 2 diesels, for a total of 13. You have one more piece to play with and I'd bet real money they add another diesel, which would max you out.
Yet I was on The Canadian #1 in mid-May, when tour groups from Australia, England and elsewhere were dominant on board. There were 28 cars in the consist, plus locomotives. Are platforms in Canada really twice as long as one of ours in a major city? I did not notice multiple stops along each platform, at least when I was awake and paying attention.

I understand Canadian summer consists are often that large as well.

We had 27 in our consist on the Canadian ( a half mile long), in late June.

I'll just add that if you scroll down on http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/69446-train-jam-cz-feb-23/there are some photos from the Train Jam that I stumbled into.

It was an amazing group of people and we never had a dinner conversation that wasn't interesting. The participants come from literally around the world, so plenty of conversation right there. And if there was an lull, all you had to do was ask about what they were doing for their Train Jam project to get them going again.

My son is the CTO, and Chief Scientist at his software company. He and his son have built their own gaming super power desktops for the ultimate gaming experience. Though a sophomore in high school, he has broken several games when they first hit the streets. Both were interested in making the trip,since they both are big coders, but found too many others want to make the trip. Probably, double the size of the train and still sell it out, since the size grows each year. Amtrak has to be making money on the one way sell out (100% sold out end to end).

2daysleft.gif

It's my understanding that rather than a sell out, it's a charter.

Train Jam has to buy the entire train before Train Jam can start selling tickets.

With a full passenger load and the extra electrical computer loads would expect only 16 coaches, lounges, sleepers, diners could make the trip. HEP limitations apply with only one P-42 able to provide the HEP. . VIA uses a different system that allows a longer train to provide alternate cars HEP from 2 locos.

The train sold out in hours when the space was put on sale last year. With no stops necessary to board or alight passengers it could well arrive Emeryville quite early — weather and dispatching permitting.

additional thoughts. extra diners or lounges may also increase HEP draw reducing max cars to 15 ?. As to operating early. That may depend on relieving T&E crew HOS lay over and ability to operate early ?

It bothers me that the dates for the 2018 Train Jam in the title of this thread are wrong.

It's a standard 3 day trip, beginning on Thursday the 15th and arriving Emeryville Saturday the 17th, correct ??

Could a Mod please correct the title of this thread to:

Train Jam 2018: CZ (5) March 15-17
Here's a link: http://trainjam.com/

Yes, but that isn't what the person starting the thread did.

I'll give Thirdrail 10 more demerits for not doing it the "proper" way if it makes you feel better.

Although, referring to 5(15) wouldn't really make any sense since he was talking about a train in March back in December. Sometimes the "proper" way isn't really useful.

The passengers on 5(15) will get quite the experience through the Sierra Nevada. More than 3 feet of new snow are forecast for Donner Pass by Saturday morning (17 March).

Yes, but that isn't what the person starting the thread did.

I'll give Thirdrail 10 more demerits for not doing it the "proper" way if it makes you feel better.

Although, referring to 5(15) wouldn't really make any sense since he was talking about a train in March back in December. Sometimes the "proper" way isn't really useful.

Yes....I didn't think putting up a post on December 2nd indicating that 5(15) would be a good idea. I figured that would handle itself in the thread...much like the way Chakk posted.

At any rate, 5(15) is up 26" at OTM.

The passengers on 5(15) will get quite the experience through the Sierra Nevada. More than 3 feet of new snow are forecast for Donner Pass by Saturday morning (17 March).

Maybe the o/p (15th - 18th) has a look into future weather vs train delays that us mere mortals do not, LOL

Back