Tipping SCA for bringing meal to room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Durham57

Train Attendant
There is a similar topic on this subject running now, but does not address my question: When I ask the SCA to bring dinner to my room, I will tip as I would in a restaurant...20% of the menu price. Should I also add something extra for bringing the meal from the dining car to me and if so, what is appropriate? Thank you for your suggestions.

Durham57 said:
1323043535[/url]' post='333101']There is a similar topic on this subject running now, but does not address my question: When I ask the SCA to bring dinner to my room, I will tip as I would in a restaurant...20% of the menu price. Should I also add something extra for bringing the meal from the dining car to me and if so, what is appropriate? Thank you for your suggestions.
I think this is an excellent question.

Though I haven't ever asked an SCA to bring food to my room, I do believe it's appropriate to tip in addition to the usual SCA tip for meals.

Some may disagree with me, but that's my opinion.

And greetings from the Capitol limited number 30!( I doubt there's any other AUers on tonight, but feel free to PM me if there are!)

There is a similar topic on this subject running now, but does not address my question: When I ask the SCA to bring dinner to my room, I will tip as I would in a restaurant...20% of the menu price. Should I also add something extra for bringing the meal from the dining car to me and if so, what is appropriate? Thank you for your suggestions.
I do not tip at mealtime. I factor this in to end of trip tip.

The SCA is doing a personal service for you, at your request. I think a tip is quite appropriate, right at the time of service. A way of saying "thank you".

I would put this in the category of "room service", and a $3 to $5 tip for the delivery person is about right.

I would tip the SCA whatever you would tip the dining car staff at the time of delivery. I've never been offered this service and never seen it advertised anywhere. The only reason I know it exist is because I've seen SCA's taking food to other compartments from time to time and assumed it was for disabled folks or those who were sick or something. What I want to know is what happens if you ask the SCA to put in a dinner reservation for you. Will they do it? Would you be expected to tip extra for that service?

Chris: Good SCAs either already have a Reservation made for boarding pax on their car, or in the event of a late boarding, will tell you to go straight to the Diner, ie Last Call! You do have to ask them if you want your meals delivered to your room, it's part of their "Official "duties, some act like you have asked them for a Loan or something, but those are the "attitude" SCAs that you dont want anyway! Only a month to the Gathering in DFW, can't wait! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
What I want to know is what happens if you ask the SCA to put in a dinner reservation for you. Will they do it? Would you be expected to tip extra for that service?
When I know I'll be in the lounge when they come around for reservations, I ask the SCA to make my reservation for me. I don't tip specifically for this, but factor it in when I determine my overall tip.

Chris: Good SCAs either already have a Reservation made for boarding pax on their car, or in the event of a late boarding, will tell you to go straight to the Diner, ie Last Call!
Yeah, I remember that from the Temple trip, but I'm mainly thinking of this in regard to my Sunset Limited pilgrimages out West when I'm already on board before first seating.

When I know I'll be in the lounge when they come around for reservations, I ask the SCA to make my reservation for me.
Will this also work when you're in the sleeper but simply want the option to actually fall asleep instead of leaving your door open for the LSA, waiter, cook, or whoever to mozy on by? Previously this was a single visit for both lunch and dinner but now they've started breaking up into two completely separate reservations. That seemed like a good time to ask if the SCA could handle this sort of thing instead.

Only a month to the Gathering in DFW, can't wait! ^_^
Getting close! :cool:

I have only once asked to have my dinner brought to the room. One time was feeling very ill and didnt want to take a chance on getting sick in the diner. :(

Our SCA was a very nice guy and unfortunately had to walk through several cars from our sleeper to get to the diner. I tipped him the traditional 20% and a little extra for his efforts.

If our car had been next to the diner, as it usually is, I probably would have stood on the 20% for delivery and pick up of the used plates, etc afterward.

Just our opinion here but if the SCA has done a very good job, I want to continue to reward his/her efforts. Just the right thing to do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back