Tipping Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While having worked BOTH stationary AND on board Amtrak as a waiter/LSA, I can attest that waiting tables on Amtrak is WAY, WAY, harder than any waiter job I ever had on "land".

Alan nailed it about the hours, and if the train is jam-packed, sometimes breakfast rolls into lunch, lunch into dinner, and then you have four MORE days like that, if you are working a western LD train.

But, if you work it "right"' you can make good coin. Not once did I ever in three years, have to "spend" my paycheck from Amtrak. I made enuff in tips for rent, food, etc. Working the Extra-Board, you can rack up some pretty massive hours too!

They suggested we take two $20's and I said, no you want to do it in $10's so if you get poor service they won't get $40 out of us. Depending on how poor $0 (which I was forced to do) to $10 per night period.
While I won't deny that it's generally better to start out with change, generally the LSA in the dining car is always happy to break a $20 for people.
Red Caps are a good source for change!

Me, I'm somewhat ashamed that at the last minute detraining at MSP from SEA I forgot to give Patrick the SCA the $10 I'd already put in my shirt pocket to give him.

When the restrooms got smelly, he cleaned. When I needed help with converting the roomette to sleeping config he was there on the double. When I didn't want to be bothered, he didn't.

Shame on me.

But next trip --

Me, I'm somewhat ashamed that at the last minute detraining at MSP from SEA I forgot to give Patrick the SCA the $10 I'd already put in my shirt pocket to give him.When the restrooms got smelly, he cleaned. When I needed help with converting the roomette to sleeping config he was there on the double. When I didn't want to be bothered, he didn't.

Shame on me.

But next trip --
He'd probably appreciate a call to Customer Relations about his good service almost as much!

Maybe I missed this answer, but I was wondering what I should tip if I ask the attendant to bring my meal to my room? The same amount as I would tip if I ate in the dining car? Thanks. Less than 3 weeks before I get on a train!

Me, I'm somewhat ashamed that at the last minute detraining at MSP from SEA I forgot to give Patrick the SCA the $10 I'd already put in my shirt pocket to give him.When the restrooms got smelly, he cleaned. When I needed help with converting the roomette to sleeping config he was there on the double. When I didn't want to be bothered, he didn't.

Shame on me.

But next trip --
He'd probably appreciate a call to Customer Relations about his good service almost as much!
Roger -- I'm doing that

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I missed this answer, but I was wondering what I should tip if I ask the attendant to bring my meal to my room? The same amount as I would tip if I ate in the dining car? Thanks. Less than 3 weeks before I get on a train!
Yup, just like a server. :)

Have fun on your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back