Things To Do Near Union Station Chicago?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heart-Attack-on-a-Plate is always a good meal not to be missed, LOL.

Is there private messaging? I'd love to be notified of the Chicago meet - if I can make it, I will come.

Heart-Attack-on-a-Plate is always a good meal not to be missed, LOL.
Is there private messaging? I'd love to be notified of the Chicago meet - if I can make it, I will come.
:hi: Please read the Thread on the Gathering VII @ the Top of the Forum and the Gathering Registration Thread! All Members of AU can PM each other but "Guests" Can't and they also cant see some of the Members only Threads and Posts! The "Official "Gathering days are Oct. 18-20 (Fri-Sunday) but some us will arrive on Thursday the 17th and some will stay to Mon the 21st but most will go home on Sun the 20th! We usually have around 40+, this is Gathering VII, it rotates between Zones and Cities Annually! So far its gone Chicago, LA,Boston, St. Louis, Seattle, Philadelphia and now Chicago again! Hope you can make some of it, some Locals just come for Day Activities like the Rail Rides and for the Beer Joints, er Restaurants! :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't care to walk for blocks, or pay for a cab ride from CUS, you're in luck. Local foodies or name-brand fans likely would look down their noses since they're a (UGH!) chain, but Beggar's Pizza serves the real-deal deep-dish style pie, by the slice or by the pie, and they're at 310 S Clinton St, just outside the station near the corner of Clinton and Jackson Blvd, about 3 doors away if you exit via the SW corner of the Big Atrium in the station. Pick up your pizza and re-enter the station, and it's still steaming hot if you take it back and eat it in the Metropolitan Lounge for instance. I heard about Beggar's from the cleaning staff in CUS. I figured they'd know where to go there, and they were right - cheese dripping off all edges of my slice, and that aroma driving everyone in the room NUTS. Oh my, but that's good pizza! And next door, too!

If you don't care to walk for blocks, or pay for a cab ride from CUS, you're in luck. Local foodies or name-brand fans likely would look down their noses since they're a (UGH!) chain, but Beggar's Pizza serves the real-deal deep-dish style pie, by the slice or by the pie, and they're at 310 S Clinton St, just outside the station near the corner of Clinton and Jackson Blvd, about 3 doors away if you exit via the SW corner of the Big Atrium in the station. Pick up your pizza and re-enter the station, and it's still steaming hot if you take it back and eat it in the Metropolitan Lounge for instance. I heard about Beggar's from the cleaning staff in CUS. I figured they'd know where to go there, and they were right - cheese dripping off all edges of my slice, and that aroma driving everyone in the room NUTS. Oh my, but that's good pizza! And next door, too!
Good to know about Beggar's Pizza!! I will pick some up for dinner on my August 27th trip from Chicago on the Southwest Chief that leaves at 3pm. Perfect!!!!

Here's a picture of where Beggar's is in relationship to the station. Thanks, Google Maps! It's on the front left side of the picture.

ScreenShot2013-08-16at53336PM.png

Hi Peggy! I am a born and raised Chicagoan.
There are many different opinions on pizza here. But I say Lou Malnati's, 439 N. Wells, a 5 minute cab ride from the station. It's got the most Chicago atmosphere.

What time are you getting in? Do we have messaging? I'm fine with it if you want to message me about any info.

I have another idea for you. Italian Beef is actually a Chicago invention. If you have time to go to Taylor Street, The Italian neighborhood, it is a 5 or so minute cab ride from the station.

At Taylor Street:

Definitely go to Mario's Italian Lemonade if you go in the summer. Their Italian Ice has chunks of real fruit. My favorite is canteloupe or original lemon, but watermelon is good, too. Al's Italian Beef is pretty good, and they have some awesome pictures on the wall. Ex-Governer-who-is-now-in-jail-Blagojevich in a photo frame with bars. Signed pictures by the cast of Wizard of Oz from 1939, etc. They have Chicago Hot Dogs too. (Vienna beef, MaryAnn's Bakery poppy seed bun, mustard, sport peppers, tomato, bright green relish, celery salt, did I leave anything out?)

Portillo's has great Chicago Dogs too.

Junebug
How would you compare that original Al's Italian Beef to the Al's Italian Beef right across Clinton from CUS? If I go through Chicago early enough for Lou Mitchell's I go there, but if I come through in the late afternoon, I often go over to that Al's. It's darn good, is the original location better (aside from atmosphere)?

Hi Peggy! I am a born and raised Chicagoan.
There are many different opinions on pizza here. But I say Lou Malnati's, 439 N. Wells, a 5 minute cab ride from the station. It's got the most Chicago atmosphere.

What time are you getting in? Do we have messaging? I'm fine with it if you want to message me about any info.

I have another idea for you. Italian Beef is actually a Chicago invention. If you have time to go to Taylor Street, The Italian neighborhood, it is a 5 or so minute cab ride from the station.

At Taylor Street:

Definitely go to Mario's Italian Lemonade if you go in the summer. Their Italian Ice has chunks of real fruit. My favorite is canteloupe or original lemon, but watermelon is good, too. Al's Italian Beef is pretty good, and they have some awesome pictures on the wall. Ex-Governer-who-is-now-in-jail-Blagojevich in a photo frame with bars. Signed pictures by the cast of Wizard of Oz from 1939, etc. They have Chicago Hot Dogs too. (Vienna beef, MaryAnn's Bakery poppy seed bun, mustard, sport peppers, tomato, bright green relish, celery salt, did I leave anything out?)

Portillo's has great Chicago Dogs too.

Junebug
How would you compare that original Al's Italian Beef to the Al's Italian Beef right across Clinton from CUS?
Zephyr, I've never been to that one. Sure seems more convenient! The Taylor Street idea was strictly for the ambience.

Okay for the people that said Giordano's, my two cents is LOU MALNATI'S!!!! They have the best pan pizza, hands down, anywhere I have ever had it. Now thin crust, that's a different story.
I agree that Lou Malnati makes Great Pizza but if you ask 100 Chicagoians(???) you will get 100 Answers as to who has "The Best" Pizza!
Thin Crust Pizza is for New Yorkers and Tourists, it's not "Real" Pizza! :giggle: (make mine with Extra Sauce, Cheese and Meat! Stuff it Dino! ;)
As a born and raised EYEtalian :p Chicagoan, I have to disagree.

I HATE Malnati's - I think it tastes awful and is definitely not worth the wait, ymmv.

Same for Giordano's... sorry.

An authentic Chicago Pizza is a thin, cracker crust - the kind with cornmeal on the bottom - tavern cut (squares) with real sausage - the kind with fennel seed in it.

chicago-thin-crust-pizza_zps57fa7b8c.jpg

I never even knew what a deep dish pizza was until I went on a date to Uno's in the 60's and I didn't see one again until a little joint opened up in my neighborhood in the 70's.

Deep dish is for tourists, transplants, and suburbanites - the same people that call Chicago Chi-Town and think a chicago dog can be grilled :p

Btw, if anyone wants to head to Taylor Street, Fest Italiana is next weekend - 8/22 to 8/25.

On Monday through Friday, you can get there easily via the CTA - catch the 157 Streeterville bus on the backside of CUS - Clinton Street.

Cab would be easier on the weekends.

Ciao! :)

JoanieB knows what she is talking about!

That picture makes my mouth water. I still love pan pizza too.

Sorry to go off topic, but where are some places to get real thin cracker crust pizza, Italian Lemonade, and Italian Beef? Do we have to go all the way to Melrose Park, Stone Park, or Franklin Park?

I'm now thinking about the best sandwich store I've ever been to in my life in Chicago, Al & Joe's Deli in Franklin Park http://www.yelp.com/biz/al-and-joes-deli-franklin-park

Hungry for Italian!!!

JoanieB knows what she is talking about!
That picture makes my mouth water. I still love pan pizza too.

Sorry to go off topic, but where are some places to get real thin cracker crust pizza, Italian Lemonade, and Italian Beef? Do we have to go all the way to Melrose Park, Stone Park, or Franklin Park?

I'm now thinking about the best sandwich store I've ever been to in my life in Chicago, Al & Joe's Deli in Franklin Park http://www.yelp.com/biz/al-and-joes-deli-franklin-park

Hungry for Italian!!!
Warning - long, link heavy post ahead

Hey Junebug! :)

I wish I could help you but I know nothing about the suburbs - I'm a 100% close to the lake, northside, city chick.

My home buses were #22, #36, and #151

I didn't even know how to drive until I was in my 30s and that was only because I had to move to Pittsburgh (still love that place) for my job.

While Taylor Street aka Little Italy still has some great Italian places, it's really watered down with a lot of other not very Italian businesses.

It's a good place though for some variety, if you're in the city.

My favorite pizza place, when I lived in what is now known as the Boystown neighborhood, was Leona's - they have a Taylor St. shop.

I'd order the 1950's traditional if I went - can't vouch for the quality today as I haven't been there in quite a while.

As you said before, Mario's for Italian Lemonade/Ice but they are only open in the summer and close soon - the first Sunday after the 15th of Sept.

Al's #1 is famous - wet with a ton of hot giardiniera for me but there's also a place on the street called The Patio that's been there for over 50 years - good beef and the like there too.

It's across the street from my favorite Italian restaurant - Rosebud

If you ever go to Rosebud, trust me, you'll be looking at the door expecting Frank to walk in at any moment.

If you know who The Sandwich King on Food Network is, he loves the sandwiches at Conte di Savoia.

I've only shopped there so I can't vouch for the sandwiches but I trust his judgement - he's a nice Italian boy :)

I always get back on the bus and head over to Ferrara's on Taylor, just a couple of doors west of Ogden Ave.

The BEST Italian cookies and pastries - I always bring home a couple of pounds of cookies and, if we drive instead of train, I always have a cooler so I can bring home Cannoli - I'm dying just writing this.

So, if you want a little taste of what it used to be like back in the day, I say head over to Taylor Street.

ALSO!!!!

Be prepared.... my favorite EYEtalian place ever is coming to Chicago in November - EATALY!

It will be on Ohio between Michigan Ave. and Wabash.

The NYC location is to die for - food, wine, restaurants, rooftop brewery, cooking schools - I could spend a whole day there.

I can't wait to see what they do in Chicago.

Mario Batali, Lidia Batianich, and her son Joe as well as a couple of others are the forces behind Eataly.

Here's a pic of the cookie display at Ferrara's - there are 2 of these full of different cookies

ferraracookies_zps7a50dc36.jpg

:hi: Joanie: I'll bow to your Chicago (Id guess Cub Fan since you're Northside) and Italian Roots but personally I still find Thin Crust Pizza a Pale comparison to Deep Dish and Stuffed Pizza! (Disclaimer: I am not Italian but spent many years in the NE and frequently ate Italian in NYC) Your information is most helpful to those of us going to the Gathering (hope you will be able to attend and give us personal guidance on where to go etc!) that want to try New and Different italian Joints! As i said in my previous Post, ask 100 Chicagoians for opinions on Anything and youll get a 100 Answers! :giggle:

I love that cracker-thin pizza. When I worked for Papa John's, we used to cut our thin crust "Chicago style", but they've since renamed it "party style". No idea why.

I love when threads spin into restaurant discussions. Joanie I hate your post because it's making me very very hungry and (did I mention it's making me very hungry) I am now craving Italian food of which the closest good Italian places to me are in San Francisco.

This did spin into a restaurant thread, didn't it! I'm writing down all your suggestions, Joanie!

The #22 Clark Street! As a kid I took the #22 from Howard Street to the stables in Lincoln Park at Clark and Diversey! At one, you would see horses looking out the second floor window as you went down busy Clark Street.

Ahh, the old days when there were five livery stables and horses were ridden in Lincoln Park! We rode pinto ponies with buggies down Wells Street in Old Town, as well as cantering horses along the lakefront and in beautiful Lincoln Park. We would see the Hispanic men with their well trained horses practicing dancing and doing the trotting sideways down the trail.

I wonder if Ferrara's is the same family as the Ferrara Pan Candy Company that makes Lemonheads, Boston Baked Beans and Red Hots?

There's a Leona's near me on Sheridan Road--I am north. Go Cubs. White Sox are for da sout siders.

Nothing wrong with a food thread!! It's the best part of traveling!

I'm making notes of all of this, too.

I did not know that Italian Beefs are a "Chicago thing", so I'll definitely have to have one.

I still plan to use my feet and go wherever they can take me, I love to walk, and it looks like the weather will be perfect.

I figure with as much walking as I plan to do, and the number of hours I'll be on layover, I can do a sandwich AND a slice of pizza!! :D

Yup, and they'll ask if you want your beef "wet". That means they dip the entire sandwich back into the broth. I prefer it "dry", which means the beef is still drippy but my bun doesn't get quite as soggy. It's sooooooooo goooooood either way, though.

The Al's on Taylor has these long counters for you to lean on as you eat (so you don't make a mess). The atmosphere is awesome. :) Chicago is a GREAT city for food. We eat and eat and eat every time we visit (good thing it's also a walking city).

Oh that sounds great... I may have to go wet just on principle. Stuff a napkin in my collar and get busy. :lol:

This did spin into a restaurant thread, didn't it! I'm writing down all your suggestions, Joanie!
The #22 Clark Street! As a kid I took the #22 from Howard Street to the stables in Lincoln Park at Clark and Diversey! At one, you would see horses looking out the second floor window as you went down busy Clark Street.

Ahh, the old days when there were five livery stables and horses were ridden in Lincoln Park! We rode pinto ponies with buggies down Wells Street in Old Town, as well as cantering horses along the lakefront and in beautiful Lincoln Park. We would see the Hispanic men with their well trained horses practicing dancing and doing the trotting sideways down the trail.

I wonder if Ferrara's is the same family as the Ferrara Pan Candy Company that makes Lemonheads, Boston Baked Beans and Red Hots?

There's a Leona's near me on Sheridan Road--I am north. Go Cubs. White Sox are for da sout siders.
That's hilarious - I used to take riding lessons at the Clark St. stables, part of the Equestrian Club at my H.S. - it was a real luxury but it sure was weird riding a horse inside a building in the middle of the city.

Yup, and they'll ask if you want your beef "wet". That means they dip the entire sandwich back into the broth. I prefer it "dry", which means the beef is still drippy but my bun doesn't get quite as soggy. It's sooooooooo goooooood either way, though.
The Al's on Taylor has these long counters for you to lean on as you eat (so you don't make a mess). The atmosphere is awesome. :) Chicago is a GREAT city for food. We eat and eat and eat every time we visit (good thing it's also a walking city).
A small correction....dry is when they let most of the juice drip off of the meat before it's put on the roll, wet is when the beef is pulled out of the juice and put immediately on the roll, if you want it dipped you have to tell them - they'll dip your already wet sandwich into the juice (too sloppy and messy for me and the roll usually disintegrates too).

Yeah, leaning over the counter is the 'Italian Stance' - the only way to eat a beef, combo, sausage, and even a Chicago Dog.

"The Italian Stance"...... I'll do that too!!

And while we're on food..... I'll want to pick up some kind of breakfasty/pastry type thing to take back on the train with me to have for breakfast the next morning. Anything requiring refrigeration will be out, and it needs to be able to hang out in a ziploc baggy overnight with no major trauma caused by that....so any recommendations there will be happily accepted.

I just can't make myself pack granola bars for this. I just can't.

Ferrara's is the same family and you can always buy boxes of those candies in the bakery - they're near the register.

Red Hots are still one of my favorites.

Give that Leona's a try and report back.

Speaking of South Siders... if anyone is ever looking for a frozen, close to authentic, thin crust Chicago Pizza, look for Home Run Inn pizzas.

A south side pizzeria from back in the day that has numerous locations now.

When I lived in Iowa I could find them, no luck here.

Talking about food, destinations, and trains is fun! :)

"The Italian Stance"...... I'll do that too!!And while we're on food..... I'll want to pick up some kind of breakfasty/pastry type thing to take back on the train with me to have for breakfast the next morning. Anything requiring refrigeration will be out, and it needs to be able to hang out in a ziploc baggy overnight with no major trauma caused by that....so any recommendations there will be happily accepted.

I just can't make myself pack granola bars for this. I just can't.
There are a few decent places right in the train station - Au Bon Pain and The Corner Bakery are two.

I end up at the The Corner Bakery when I am looking for breakfast stuff. I have never tried any other place up there, but I also think there is a cinnibon (sp) in the Station, but I may be thinking of somewhere else.

I used to see Home Run Inn pizzas at the Jewel Grocery Store. Or as some Chicagoans say it, "Da Jewels".

Home Run Inn restaurant has amazing pizza! I forgot about that one. One of the old time Chicago originals.

Joanie - thanks for the correction. We frequent a place where "wet" means dipped and "dry" means not dipped. :p

Either way, it's DEEEE-LICIOUS and everyone should have one at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back