The Truth about Select+ and Blackout dates

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DowneasterPassenger

Lead Service Attendant
I ran into the same problem again trying to book an AGR reward trip for April 5, that I had over Christmas.

The AGR Select+ benefit called "Rule Buster" is described as:

"Rule Buster" award availability for redemption travel during blackout dates.
But it is not what it sounds like. An AGR rep explained to me that "Rule Buster" only applies to

the NEC. On top of that, even if you were able to bust the rules on the NEC, she said, they would charge you more points for it.

I thought that most people knew that Amtrak charged extra to Bust the blackout dates, which in my mind sort of makes sense. Most airlines charge double points to bust the rules.

However, the rep is wrong. You can bust the rules on other trains off the NEC. What you cannot do however is bust the blackouts on sleepers. But if want a 3 zone coach award, normally 10.500 points, they'll bust the blackout for you if you're willing to part with 18,500 points.

I thought that most people knew that Amtrak charged extra to Bust the blackout dates, which in my mind sort of makes sense. Most airlines charge double points to bust the rules.
However, the rep is wrong. You can bust the rules on other trains off the NEC. What you cannot do however is bust the blackouts on sleepers. But if want a 3 zone coach award, normally 10.500 points, they'll bust the blackout for you if you're willing to part with 18,500 points.
Didn't know that, but didn't read the fine print either, cheapens the SELECT status a bit..........but it does follow airline convention, 'cept for SWA, which does just about everything right.

...Most airlines charge double points to bust the rules.
Most airlines permit elite members to book award travel in blackout periods with no change in mileage cost.
Most airlines are also into S&M :)

Really there is no reason to be comparing Airline elite levels to AGR elite levels. The main advantage to the airline elite status is somewhat humane treatment. Amtrak gives everyone that benefit out the door so AGR can never have the amount of impact that the airline elite status have to the travel experience.

...Most airlines charge double points to bust the rules.
Most airlines permit elite members to book award travel in blackout periods with no change in mileage cost.
Right. The double charge thing is for getting hold of seats without inventory control. The discount/single charge version has inventory control on it, that's all, i.e. those seats run out, but the non-inventory controlled seats you can get as long as there is any seat available on the plane.

For example last year when I went to India using CO miles, for the return trip the inventory controlled award seats ahd run out so I just ponied up some extra miles and got an available seat. Kind of convenient when your floating on FF miles in a manner of speaking. :)

Back