The Star has a 12 car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
In the past two weeks the Silver Star has been running with a third sleeper again (the 12 car). When it made its debut back on the Star it was working as Crew Protect as there was no Dorm available in Sunnyside for 91, the remaining rooms were sold to regular passengers. Now the Star is running with both the 12 car AND a Dorm. What continues to kill me is that here we are with three sleepers on the Star (which usually fills 1-2 whole cars), but no sleeper on 89/90. I don't care if you just but a sleeper and a Dorm on 89/90 with no Diner (run it Pennsylvanian style with meals from the lounge) but that train has to have a sleeper. I hope the message has gotten through to Gunn since he's been down here. Every time I run into the crew of the Palmetto they say passengers complain about the lack of a sleeper, and the crew itself does not like having to sleep overnight in Business Class coach.

I agree, the Silver Palm needs to be restored, and with Gunn we should have it sooner than we would otherwise, which hopefully will be soon. Chief, How many sleepers is the Meteor running with?

By the way, I think you mean "Three Rivers" style, as the Pennsylvanian never had a Sleeper.

The Meteor is running with three sleepers right now. They run pretty full, usually with 6-9 empties, and almost all of the deluxes full. Thanks for the correction on the Three Rivers, I knew it was one of the two.

battalion51 said:
The Meteor is running with three sleepers right now. They run pretty full, usually with 6-9 empties, and almost all of the deluxes full.
The Meteor had three when I was on it last December, however it had no crew dorm. Therefore part of the first sleeper was being shared by the crew.

Hopefully there will be enough Superliners to be put back on the Cardinal by the summer, there by restoring the Silver Plam. As for putting a sleeper on the Palm now, you have to consider will it make more revenue if on the Star or the Palm.

Also, would the Sleeper and Diner from the Cardinal do better on the Palm or the Three Rivers now that I thin about it. :unsure:

When I talk to my friend with ARROw tonight I'll see if I can get him to do a little study on occupancy for the near future on the Cardinal in the sleepers. Although I don't know whether they are running with one or two sleepers.

I was at Penn in time to see the Delayed 91, which had only a 10 and 11 car and a regular dorm lounge, no 12 car, funny thing, except for the LSL all trains after the Star were delayed coming out of Sunnyside.

I took various photos (including several Phase VI cars), and got to see something that would make most jealous. If anyone has any questions on this day they're welcome to ask otherwise you'll have to wait for me to write a trip report.

Well now that all cars are being painted into Phase VI I'm not jealous, in a way, but hope to see them in February on my next proposed trip in February to Pennsylvania on Acela (however some complications may delay this trip).

Were these Phase VI cars Amfleets, other?????

Amfleet I's and II's Only were in Phase VI, I did see (and photograph) an unusual Phase IV Car (Yes Phase IV, no three Sheets logo or small #'s) with the red safety stripe.

Seeing those cars isn't what would make many jealous, it was something else...

I'm happy to say I wasn't hassled by anybody, in fact some were even nicer than that...

Yes I have seen various photos and video clips with the Phase IV car with the red reflector stripe. They may be in the process of getting repainted.

What was it that made you so jealous.

While I know some can relate to this and all, like Battalion 51, I still like to brag:

When I pulled in to NYP on a NJ Transit MidTOWN DIRECT Train, I saw an AEM-7-AC (#905 I believe) along with a Phase VI and Phase IV Amfleet I, and I knew where to go to take my first pictures. When my father and I went there we saw a Baggage Handler, and another guy who was talking to the Handler. This was before the train was even Boarding, so the other guy sees me taking the pictures, and that guy turned out to be the engineer, who invited me in to the cab to see the controls and such. It was a very nice day overall and that was definitely the high point of it. I'll discuss the rest when I write a trip report.

I'd like to thank two people:

My Dad, who accompanied me, and allowed me to control the day for the most part.

and

The Engineer, Dan Madden, who was nice enough to show me inside and AEM-7-AC

Pictures should be available on Amtrak Online- an Unofficial Amtrak website (Click the link below in my signature), within a couple of weeks, and Includes some cab shots.

Four Words: What do you mean?
I mean you haven't experienced the real joy of the cab until you've been in one while it's in motion (preferablly when it's doin at least 79 MPH).
B-51 your around Amtrak so much your gonna morph into a P-42 one of these days.
No my friend a P-32-8.

battalion51 said:
I mean you haven't experienced the real joy of the cab until you've been in one while it's in motion (preferablly when it's doin at least 79 MPH).
While I haven't had the pleasure of one, I rather suspect that a cab ride in an Acela at 150 MPH, beats the heck out of both a P32 & a P42. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back