The Soft Relaunch of the Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting note--the PPC attendants (both the northbound and the fake southbound) mentioned that you could buy the featured wines for "market" prices.

I stopped by Sam's Club today and picked up two bottles of the 2006 Estancia Pinot Noir. Guess what the price was? Just about $14.75.

Usually, Costco and Sam's Club don't mark items in Anchorage up any more than items in Lower 48 warehouses (with the exception of some perishables, especially fruits and other produce), so I would expect that wine could be found in other Sam's Clubs for about the same price. If that's true, then Amtrak really is selling these wines at very fair prices--probably cheaper than at traditional liquor stores! (And there might be another benefit--IIRC, tax is not charged onboard...though I'm not sure about that.)

If that's true, then Amtrak really is selling these wines at very fair prices--probably cheaper than at traditional liquor stores! (And there might be another benefit--IIRC, tax is not charged onboard...though I'm not sure about that.)
That would be great! Amtrak could run a "duty free store", just like International Ferryboats.

Part 2--Southbound
From a railfan's perspective, my return trip was slightly less interesting. I woke up Tuesday morning to a text message on my phone from fellow Amtrak Unlimited forum member chuljin, who would be returning home to L.A. from his four-day railfan journey up to Northern California. His message said that, unfortunately, a second standard Sightseer Lounge had been substituted for the Pacific Parlour Car--a Loungestitution, he called it.

In all, this was an excellent trip. I'm glad I chose to do it by train rather than rent a car, even though the car would have gotten me there sooner and offered more flexibility in stopping at some of my usual haunts on the drive up. I'm almost sold on traveling in sleepers from here on out, but I'm still pretty budget-minded when it comes to transportation. The ability to retreat to a comfortable room and to take advantage of some extra sleeper passenger-only benefits is a strong pull, though. The service I've received on Amtrak in the west over the last three trips has been outstanding (especially my northbound Starlight trip--every single person on the OBS staff and train crew was exceptional). I look forward to the next time I can hop aboard the train, see this grand country roll by, and meet interesting people and make future friends. Thanks for reading!
Thanx, enjoyed that report. Come on September!!! (1st ride)

Last edited by a moderator:
Phillipe's is an LA tradition and landmark. But I will confirm that as the prices went up, the portions went down. The quality still remains high. So, you pays your money and makes your choice.

Excellent report, and great comments. I believe the Cheryl you speak of is the same Cheryl that gave me the five dollar tour at LAUS of the last full Dome car in Amtrak service. She was very knowlegeable and pointed out many aspects of the car that were little known. A real sweetheart.

Great photos as well. Reminded me of the plush RR travel days gone by.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! (And good to see you over here, Pennsy!)

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a note at the bottom of the TV that said, "DVDs provided compliments of Fox Home Entertainment"; I looked in some of the cabinets, but the only DVD I found was Ice Age 2. I haven't seen that and have wanted to, but I had more important things to see on the train that day! I went back upstairs to enjoy the scenery from the comfortable chairs of the Parlour Car.
Nice trip report! In searching for the answer to my question, I decided to revive this excellent thread.

jackal, do you recall if it is possible to play any regular DVD in the theater? Or must it be a DVD supplied and played by Amtrak?

Nice trip report! In searching for the answer to my question, I decided to revive this excellent thread.

jackal, do you recall if it is possible to play any regular DVD in the theater? Or must it be a DVD supplied and played by Amtrak?
jackal hasn't signed on to AU recently, but I keep trying to get him to do so. (He lives in Alaska, and keeps looking to Russia from his back yard!
mosking.gif
) So I'll try to answer the question.

I've only been downstairs in the PPC a few times, and really don't even know where the DVD player is located. I know Amtrak provides movies to be shown at specific times, but I don't know if anyone can use it anytime.

Even if one can gain access to the DVD player, Amtrak would frown upon any movies that aren't G rated or maybe very lightly PG rated. They have to worry about kids walking into the theatre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back