The Penny's Got a Service Disruption?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
So how did both Pennys come up as a SD on both the status maps and Amtrak.com this morning? Both the one leaving PGH and the one leaving NYP have experienced a Service Disruption...

So how did both Pennys come up as a SD on both the status maps and Amtrak.com this morning? Both the one leaving PGH and the one leaving NYP have experienced a Service Disruption...
Freight train derailment in Mifflin County disrupts Amtrak service between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh

A freight train derailment in Mifflin County is causing headaches for Amtrak travelers. All trains west from Harrisburg and east from Pittsburgh have been canceled, with bus service filling the gap while crews clean up the derailment and make repairs to the tracks.
The derailment, which involved 28 cars, happened around 11:20 last night near McVeytown, which is around 12 miles west of Lewistown, closing both tracks of the main line.

So I guess its so bad that they don't expect either train to make it through today and the runs probably got canceled.

So I guess its so bad that they don't expect either train to make it through today and the runs probably got canceled.
If the derailment was at 11PM and the article says a bus bridge is in place PGH-HAR, that suggests to me that the trainsets are staying put in PGH and NYP, and passengers are being rebooked on convenient Keystones+buses. So the Pennsylvanians will both show SDs, but the passengers are probably all still being accommodated and given transportation to their destinations.

(Basically, why bother running the actual Pennsylvanian trainset NYP-HAR and back if you don't have to, especially since the buses throw the timing off, I guess?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back