The hated British train...

Discussion in 'Freight, International and Other Rail' started by caravanman, Feb 12, 2020 at 9:57 PM.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Feb 12, 2020 at 9:57 PM #1

caravanman

caravanman

caravanman

Conductor

2. Feb 12, 2020 at 10:21 PM #2

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

I was reading the same article. I had no idea the "bus on tracks" critique was based on actual history. Amazing to think the bus models were replaced long ago while the trains were mostly ignored for decades of creaky and uncomfortable service.

3. Feb 12, 2020 at 10:45 PM #3

jiml

jiml

jiml

OBS Chief

Ah, the Aerotrain updated.

4. Feb 13, 2020 at 2:33 AM #4

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

HS-2 just got re-approved in an enlarged form, by the Johnson government.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/h...-adopts-high-speed-north-vision/55746.article

Pacers still exist on those parts of the system which have been relatively neglected by the London government. At present Scotland, which runs its own rail system has way better service than north of England, which is treated poorly by London.

The other place where Pacers still dwell is down in Great Western territory in the boonies of west England. All are waiting for perennially delayed delivery of new equipment to replace them.

5. Feb 13, 2020 at 7:29 AM #5

anumberone

anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief AU Supporter

"Every day, Pacer trains trundle through some of the most beautiful scenery in northern England, across rolling dales and moody moorlands, before pulling up in the great cities of the region: Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield"

I'll be spending a day or so in Manchester and Leeds in a couple of months , something keep an eye out for.

6. Feb 13, 2020 at 11:52 AM #6

cirdan

cirdan

cirdan

Conductor

I think their awfulness is often exaggearted. As it is a British thing to exaggerate everything that is even slightly bad.

I much prefer them to a modern train, on the Hope Valley line for example. You can open the windows and let in the smell of fresh grass or the breeze coming down from the high peaks. Much better than the smell of canned air.

Draft saved Draft deleted