"The Gunn" is in Miami!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
The man is here!!!!

Gunn arrived at the HollyWood station for an AAR conference Thursday on #91 and is scheduled to be at the Hialeah station and facility between 2:30pm- 5:30pm. Has been staying at Adventura.

He is going to depart on #98 Monday. Will let everyone know the results. Alot of money has been spent on facility repairs during the last two weeks. Place looks great and cars are running better!

I'm surprised B-51 dropped the ball on this one!! I guess his buddies were afraid he would "foam" all over Dave!!

B)

Cool, do you get to meet him personally?

How'd you manage to get back on a computer?

What else has happened with you since your last post?

Don't know till tomorrow!!

Found a computer on the property that I can access to.Alot of changes here, including new computers with security locks. Got lucky.

Still working #98 at night and dealing with the cold weather problems on the cars.

B)

Yeah, it seemed like it was really cold down there, I mean its not warm either there, so I'm sorry to hear you're having cold weather problems with the equipment. I hope you get to meet Gunn (I know I'd like to) and hope you have some questions (and praise of course :) :rolleyes: B) ) for him.

This is exciting. Looks like there will be money this year, and that Gunn is eager to spend it. Maybe I'll be able to work again this summer (I was losing hope).

tubaallen said:
This is exciting. Looks like there will be money this year, and that Gunn is eager to spend it. Maybe I'll be able to work again this summer (I was losing hope).
I hope you'll be able to, because if every employee enjoyed their job as much as you... :) B)

Yes, we need more employees like tuballen and Miami Joe.

On another topic, you just have to know that Gunn must somehow be partly responsible for the Sunset apparently running on time more often than before.

I'm still counting on you being my sleeping car attendant one of these days...and I DO get around---I'm not just on the Crescent!!

Thing is, you will know who I am because I use my real name---I will not know who you are, so you will be at an advantage!

Yes---and make it (and others ) daily!

It would also be nice to restore the transcontinental sleeper from NYC to LA, swapped out with the Crescent in New Orleans. OF course that would be a Viewliner.

This through car goes way back, and it did, deliberately, involve an overnight stay-over in New Orleans. People could go around the town all they wanted, but the sleeper was still their hotel...they still had it to return to, whether 3 a.m. or whatever. That is a tradition which Amtrak kept for awhile but goes way back.

But that is the least of it...the most important thing, the thing done right now, is having gotten the Sunset reasonably on time.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Yes---and make it (and others ) daily!
It would also be nice to restore the transcontinental sleeper from NYC to LA, swapped out with the Crescent in New Orleans. OF course that would be a Viewliner.

This through car goes way back, and it did, deliberately, involve an overnight stay-over in New Orleans. People could go around the town all they wanted, but the sleeper was still their hotel...they still had it to return to, whether 3 a.m. or whatever. That is a tradition which Amtrak kept for awhile but goes way back.

But that is the least of it...the most important thing, the thing done right now, is having gotten the Sunset reasonably on time.
I agree, I'd like to see NYC-LA Through service in some way, shape, or form. And all service daily.

You used to be able to book a trip from WAS to LAX via the Capitol Limted and the Southwest Chief (which use the same equipment) in the same room in the same car and you were even allowed to stay on the train, but if you left you were not allowed on until the boarding call.

Bill...I really appreciate your kind words, and your anticipation of meeting me on the train sometime! :) You're right, I'll be at an advantage.... Although, I'll be wearing a nametag saying "Allen" or "Allen Lewis" on it. And while I may technically be at the advantage, my memory is TERRIBLE! So if you think it's me...say something...if it isn't, I am sure the attendant will be quite friendly. They may even know of me...even though there are so many of us that work out of Chicago, we all seem to recognize each other's names, (including me, who only worked one summer...that's how good it is!) Also, don't forget that if you think it's me, but it isn't when I would be on break from school, then it can't be me....I will be in school until May, and then hopefully on the train.

Also...don't know if I told you this or not. You know how we were talking about "Zephyr"? Well check out the pictures, and the discussion of the dining car staff. You see Alfredo Gonzalez? He trained me in the classroom! And there's talk of Sam and Linda Jenkins....well Sam was my on-board sleeper trainer (how to make beds and such) and I worked a whole trip with his wife, Linda...what a nice couple. Oh, and there's discussion of Art Gilmore (conductor out of Grand Junction) ...and well he is a character...worked with him once too....long story. Thought you might find all that interesting.

Amfleet said:
You used to be able to book a trip from WAS to LAX via the Capitol Limted and the Southwest Chief (which use the same equipment) in the same room in the same car and you were even allowed to stay on the train, but if you left you were not allowed on until the boarding call.
If Amtrak was to restore an East Coast-LA sleeper, this one would make the most sense due to the Superliners in the West. Otherwise, using the NYC-New Orleans-LA route, the Sunset Limited would need another Transition Sleeper just for the people in the Viewliner attached to the back...wait, that doesn't sound too bad! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back