The Cardinal Train #50

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Jim! I suspect they plan to have two sleepers on our train, based solely on the fact that we got a reasonably (and apparently rare) good deal on our Roomette for mid-October, when the sleepers seem to be at their prime eastbound. We're hoping to see some fall color.

We'll be bringing some snacks and beverages along, and we're not especially picky eaters, so we'll be fine with whatever they feed us. I'm not a fan of French Toast even when it's good, so that wasn't ever going to be an option. I'd rather eat instant oatmeal in my room than eat French Toast. ;-)

I appreciate the info!

We took the Cardinal from PHL to CHI this past summer. The scenery was great and in daylight savings time you get a full view of the New River Gorge. Yes the train had its "diner lite" . It was a comfortable and scenic trip. The train was not full and the one sleeper was also occupied by 4 crew personnel . Although the menu choices are more limited and all the hot dishes were warmed in a convection oven, the meals were acceptable. Craig the chef/server did an amazing job of providing the best possible meals with the most minimum of equipment. By augmenting the convection oven meal selections with fresh salads and fruit it lifted the meal experience a notch or two. We even had what seemed like fresh "Sunnyside up" eggs for breakfast, the burgers for lunch tasted fresh cooked and we don't know how Craig did this without a grill. .

Our SCA was a guy by the name of Tom who did a really outstanding job of making us feel welcome. He kept the ice coming and always asked if he could do more. .

While the Cardinal is a minimalist three day a week 6 car train (until you reach IND) ; the trip was good and since we had a bedroom,the comfort level was there. Our train arrived in CHI only 15 minutes late that Sunday.

If we have one complaint it would be that since the sleeper was on the rear, the two cars couple to the rear at IND (Hoosier state) could create a privacy issue for the sleeper passengers when those passengers pass through to go to the café. Fortunately that day the cars were empty and all IND passengers were boarded at the coaches up front.

From what I've understood from this thread... the right side is the side I should try to get on for an upcoming trip, which is (usually?) the odd numbers?

Under normal circumstances, the sleepers now reside on the head end of the Cardinal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back