The Cardinal and "Curve Balls"!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailFanLNK

Conductor
We are taking train #50 "The Cardinal" this Saturday out of CUS. We are taking it as close to Aberdeen MD that we can get it to. Our friends live in ABE. The Cardinal can be late and I think there's two trains we can take to ABE once we get to either BAL or WAS and those trains are #158 and #198. If the Cardinal has major issues our friends are good up to 11pm to pick us up in BAL but after that they need to go to bed. So if it is seriously delayed what are some inexpensive hotels in DC? Would you get a room in DC or Baltimore? I've heard that BAL can be fairly rough and don't know the area around Baltimore's station. (cabs etc) More familiar with WUS. Also, if we have to stay at a hotel due to seriously delayed Cardinal, are the regionals in the morning sold out to Aberdeen MD? So as ABC-TV would say, "What Would You Do?"

I'd just go home, but that isn't an option for you! :D

Are you ticketed through to Aberdeen? If so, Amtrak should put you in in BAL if you miss 198. I'd trust whatever arrangements Amtrak would make (they may even just put you in a cab or a van out to ABE).

If you're not ticketed through to ABE, maybe call and see what it would cost to add on? That would make it Amtrak's problem to solve if things go badly.

If the train is really late. I would consider getting off in WAS and taking a train to the BWI station. The station is right at the airport, so there are many hotels there. (The Cardinal doesn't stop at BWI.)

And here I thought this thread was going to be about how many MLB stadiums 50 & 51 go within sight of. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking White Sox, Reds & Nats - if you know where and what to look for.

Am I missing any? :huh:

Can you see Nat's Park from the train?
Barely. One can make out the silhouettes of some of the light towers while north of ALX when the leaves are off the trees and atmospheric conditions are right (read clear mornings).

Not sure if you can Philly's park as it is near the DE river south of Philly. I think the train is to far west & too close to bldgs to see the park.

At least I don't recall seeing it on any of my WIL-PHL-WIL trips either on Amtrak or SEPTA.

Minor league stadium about a mile south of WIL along the tracks.

Minor league stadium about a mile south of WIL along the tracks.
Good Call!
BBBW0153.jpg

Any other Minor League Parks?

I'd just go home, but that isn't an option for you! :D
Are you ticketed through to Aberdeen? If so, Amtrak should put you in in BAL if you miss 198. I'd trust whatever arrangements Amtrak would make (they may even just put you in a cab or a van out to ABE).

If you're not ticketed through to ABE, maybe call and see what it would cost to add on? That would make it Amtrak's problem to solve if things go badly.
Back to the matter at hand... If you miss 198 but can catch 66, they MAY arrange for a special stop in ABE, not that you want to get there at midnight or so... Otherwise Amtrak will just advise you that train 190...3:15 am from WAS will drop you off in ABE at 4:20 or so in the AM. They will not put you in a hotel.

ETA- the morning trains to ABE WILL NOT be sold out so availability will be no problem...

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick search shows a hotel about 7 blocks north of WIL. I suspect it would have a shuttle to the train station.

Double Tree by Hilton - 700 N King St

WIL is about 30 mins north of ABE as the Cardinal flies.

What station code is CUS?

I was not able to find a route online for any trip ending in aberdeen that you can take the cardinal. Amtrak may not garentee this connection

CUS = Chicago Union Station.

Some people use it instead of CHI.

The guaranteed connection uses the Cap, which gets in much earlier.

Wilmington sounds like a great fallback plan if you're super late.

The Crescent runs right by my grandson's baseball field in Bremen. That's "major league" to me. :)

Saw it the last time I went to one of his games and got kind of wistful.

For the record only Franlklin Field (Penn) can be seen on the left side going north 2 mins before PHL. The rest of the Major Sports play by the navy yard in South Philly. The "Linc" where da iggles play is next to I-95. The Wells Fargo Center is close by along with Citizins Bank Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back