The Boeing MAX 8 Accidents

Discussion in 'Non-Rail Transportation' started by Dakota 400, Apr 5, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jan 14, 2020 at 6:04 PM #226

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

All this to keep Southwest happy . Still it was Boeing’s responsibility to put safety ahead of Southwest’s business desires.

It is somewhat damning that when Lionair asked for Simulator Training that was turned down because it did not align with Boeing’s business need, and not because it was unequivocally unnecessary as established by facts that have unfolded since then.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:48 PM
  2. Jan 14, 2020 at 10:34 PM #227

MARC Rider

M

MARC Rider

Conductor

In 2017, I attended a tire industry conference which featured an entertaining talk by a lawyer about the legal concept of "discovery" and its application to electronic devices. Basically, any person needs to realize that anything transmitted in email, text messages, and even phone mail can be retained (and needs to be retained) and can be demanded by lawyers. Thus, when you communicate using these media, you have consider that what you communicate might be posted on the front page of the New York Times (or even Amtrak Unlimited) one day.

The lawyer told a particularly pointed tale of a lawsuit involving deaths due to mechanical failure of a particular car model where discovery found emails among the manufacturer's engineers referring to the product in question as a "rolling sarcophagus." That case didn't go very well for the manufacturer.

Personally, I figured this sort of stuff out around 1995 (for email, at least). I'm sort of surprised that in 2017 the professional staff at Boeing weren't being trained to watch what they say with their devices.

jis likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted