The Amazing Birthday Trip.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerP42

Conductor
4 AUG 2015

Boarded Capitol Limited 29. Got to my roomette, 10 in car 2901. Not much to report yet. Had an amazing breakfast with some amazing people. For those who like to know, here's a consist list, in order.

29 CL 4 AUG 2015

31009, 34136, 34117, 33040, 37009, 32053, 32098, 39039, AMTK 821, AMTK 6

Did you get to the railfan window?

I hope your trip continues to be amazing!

I have one additional tip: try not to talk politics with Mr. Z :)

Not much to report yet. Had an amazing breakfast with some amazing people.
How about reporting on the amazing breakfast with amazing people?

I found it but an Amtrak employee was occupying it.
An Amtrak employee was bogarting the railfan window? Never seen that before. Were they actually looking outside or just standing next to it?

I understand that you had lunch at the Olgivie Transportation Center Food Court with an amazing person, but I did not learn what you had for lunch. I hope it was amazing. :)

I am looking forward to updates from the Southwest Chief.

4 AUG 2015 DAY ONE

~6 AM Got onto the Capitol Limited in Toledo, catching up with Mr. Z.We had an amazing breakfast and I (of course) got the omelette. Mr. Z and I caught up along with some stories, and we made our way back to our rooms. I enjoyed the scenery (up until Gary, IN...) and sat in my Roomette.

We arrived in Chicago around 10 AM CST. I got to the Metropolitan Lounge and was greeted by Steve, the red cap that is very nice and remembered me, He knew I liked to run so he told me some good places to go running. I dropped off my stuff, talked a bit to Mr. Z, and went on my way. I ran from the station around the block, across the river and past Sears Tower ( I will not call it the other name...) and to the Loop. I found a small farmers market where they had 50 cent apples, and bought one and ate it. It was actually pretty good. I ran back, and saw a fire truck. The firefighting side of me triggered as I saw it returning to its station, so I tried to follow it back. I got back to Greektown and realized what station it came from. I went in, talked to them, and they gave me a T-Shirt. It was about 12 PM, so I went back to the station and talked to Mr. Z.

I told Mr. Z tat I would take him to a food court a couple of blocks down the road, so I did. We ate at a place called "Burrito Beach". I had a corn tortilla taco with Baja beef, and he had a quesadilla. The food was very good. We stopped at a Walgreens, and went back to the station to await the next train.We boarded the Southwest Chief at about 230. I got into my bedroom, and I am extremely excited because it has so much room! I may actually be able to do push ups and some exercises in here. I was very tired, so once I got my dinner reservation, and talked to Mr. Z some, I took a nap. Every time I woke up, I saw my door was open, I shut it, woke up again and saw it was open again. I assume that (Because the curtain was still closed) the door opened itself unless I were to lock it.

At 5:30 I went to dinner with Mr. Z, and I talked to another person about HAM Radios and shortwave radios. I had the seafood catch of the day, which was Salmon. It was very good. The waiter also put a refill drink on his own bill because I asked for another one but he didn’t want me to pay for it! I am so happy to be on this train.

We were crossing the Mississippi River, and I was trying to get the consist of the train, and I asked the conductor what the engine numbers are. He couldn’t find his paperwork, so he told me he would find it and then come to my room and tell me! I waited about 20 minutes, and he came! He gave me one of the engine numbers and the consist list and told me he would try to figure out the other engine number. Amazing service. I think I am going to go to bed soon, so I will keep you guys all updated tomorrow!

I think I type to much.
Tyler, you're doing fine. There are a whole bunch of people on this board who type *way* more than you do :D
Agreed. :hi:

In all seriousness though the more information the better. Photos as well if you can swing it. Just because we're quite doesn't mean we're not listening.

Well, that should make things interesting...
I had to laugh out loud when I read that. Partly because it's true and partly because it's way too common.

Looks like I will be staying in Los Angeles for a day. My train will be very late into LA (Late enough to miss the Coast Starlight) so the other train trips will be pushed back a day and I will be staying overnight in Los Angeles.

Looks like I will be staying in Los Angeles for a day. My train will be very late into LA (Late enough to miss the Coast Starlight) so the other train trips will be pushed back a day and I will be staying overnight in Los Angeles.
You may be put on the Thruway/San Joaquin Alternate Route Tyler!

Most of the Western LD Trains are currently running full, especially the Sleepers. You wouldn't want to ride Coach on the Zephyr for 3 Days and 2 Nights to Chicago!

Try to find out as soon as possible what arrangements Amtrak can make for you, the early bird gets the Room so to speak!

Back