Texas Eagle diner closed south of FTW

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
This comes from Amtrak, courtesy of Gene Poon. As such, apologies for it being in all capital letters. For those who don't know, FTW is Fort Worth, TX and SAS is San Antonio, TX.

TEXAS EAGLE DINING CAR OPERATES CHI-FTW ONLY

EFFECTIVE MONDAY, OCTOBER 28, THE FOLLOWING CHANGE HAS BEEN MADE TO DINING CAR SERVICE ON THE TEXAS EAGLE:

TRAIN 21/421 - DINING CAR OPERATES CHI-FTW ONLY.

TRAIN 22/422 - DINING CAR OPERATES FTW-CHI ONLY.

THE CAR WILL STILL BE ON THE TRAIN TO AND FROM SAS BUT IT WILL NOT BE STAFFED NOR SERVE ANY MEALS BETWEEN FTW AND SAS. THE CHANGE MEANS NO DINNER FTW-SAS, AND NO BREAKFAST OR LUNCH SAS-FTW. THE LOUNGE CAR REMAINS OPEN CHI-SAS.

SLEEPING CAR PASSENGERS MAY SELECT COMPLIMENTARY ITEMS FROM THE LOUNGE CAR MENU, AND MAY EAT THEM IN THEIR ROOMS, IN THE LOUNGE CAR, OR IN THE (UNSTAFFED) DINING CAR. AT LUNCH AND DINNER THEY WILL ALSO BE OFFERED A COMPLIMENTARY GLASS OF WINE.

-source: AMTRAK

Well, obviously this is simply a staff-cutting move, since the car will continue to operate on the train unstaffed. Having the dining crew turn at Fort Worth instead of San Antonio probably saves one crew. Whether these people get laid off or reassigned is another issue.

The southbound Texas Eagle (#21) is scheduled to arrive at FTW at 3:15 PM, while the northbound Texas Eagle (#22) is scheduled to depart FTW at 4:15 PM. So, is the dining car crew going to jump off of #21, have an hour layover, and hop on #22, assuming #21 isn't too late?

EmpireBuilderFan said:
The southbound Texas Eagle (#21) is scheduled to arrive at FTW at 3:15 PM, while the northbound Texas Eagle (#22) is scheduled to depart FTW at 4:15 PM. So, is the dining car crew going to jump off of #21, have an hour layover, and hop on #22, assuming #21 isn't too late?
I'm not familiar with the Schedule, but by law isn't the crew supposed to have a layover of some sort? Also, who cleans the diner when passengers eat in it during the unstaffed period?

At least the Texas Eagle missed the axe that killed the Desert Wind and the Pioneer way back when, and in fact grew to daily service.

Question: Why is the Texas Eagle the only Train seeming to be targeted (services affected, like lounge) now?

The Texas Eagle has always been on the edge of the cliff and if it weren't for the states that train would not be there. There has been reports that te train carried only 30 people between Chicago and Texas.

Viewliner said:
I'm not familiar with the Schedule, but by law isn't the crew supposed to have a layover of some sort? Also, who cleans the diner when passengers eat in it during the unstaffed period?
The laws only affect conductors and engineers, not the OBS crew. Since the OBS crew doesn't have anything to do with driving or controling train operations, they are not covered by government laws. Unless they can negotiate a new contract with Amtrak that limits their hours, then they get to work whatever Amtrak wants them to work. Either that or they find a new job.

A real shame to see this cut, since SAS-FTW was a favorite for the wife and I, and we always enjoyed the dining car. I agree that the Eagle seems to be taking more than it's share of hits lately, as the last couple of times we have ridden there has been no Sightseer Lounge (although I understand a few of the Eagle consists atill have one). I suppose this is a cut that Amtrak feels will have minimal impact - I can attest to the fact that the passenger count between FTW and SAS was never very high at the times I was there - but still it leaves one with an uneasy feeling. Well, I am at least thankful that it is continuing to run daily - but I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that too!

I was on the Texas Eagle two weeks ago going north to DAL out of SAS. You could go bowling in the dining car during breakfast and lunch. Empty. I take the Texas Eagle many times for business trips, and it seems almost empty most of the time. I don't understand it. It is usually on time (by Amtrak standards) and the schedule is convenient (for me).

I was in St. Louis about 10 days ago (on vacation) and spotted the Texas Eagle in the "grand" Amtrak station. After taking a few pictures of the Eagle and following its departure for CHI, I asked the station agent (only 1 on duty) about the future of the Eagle and AMTRAK in general. He replied that he really didn't care if they took the Eagle out of service tomorrow as he is retiring. He says he has been looking toward getting out of his miserable job ASAP, and "the sooner, the better!". Also stated that for the past 5 years, he has been working with the assurance of retirement, thus he really hasn't cared if the Eagle survived or not.

All of this was stated quite clearly in the presence of other passengers who had just deboarded the Eagle and were grumbling about its being an hour late. (They should feel so lucky! Ever try to catch the Eagle out of LR and it's late???)

Hate to think the Eagle would be doomed. My grand-dad is probably rolling in his grave as he was an engineer on the Delta Eagle.

Amfleet said:
The Texas Eagle has always been on the edge of the cliff and if it weren't for the states that train would not be there. There has been reports that te train carried only 30 people between Chicago and Texas.
This practice is not uncommon for crews jsut to jump from one train to another. Some of the Silver Star dining staff is based out of NYP, so they will jump from 91 to 92 at WTH or SBG as 91's melas for the run will be over. This is also similar to 98/97's on board staff. They will leave MIA on Day 1, travel with the train to NYP, layover for 9 hours at sunnyside (no hotel) and then begin another run on the evening of Day 2 with 97, arriving back in MIA on the evening of Day 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back