Texas eagle 422

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Were about 10 miles from palm springs. Running on time. The UP has built a state of the art RR through here. Double tracks and concrete ties. I saw one set of high speed crossovers with movable points. Top speed has been approximately 65. Often much slower though we appear to be on time.

Sca has yet to introduce herself. I think she is new. I saw her taking somebodies dinner order in the handicap room. Will see how the bed set up works. Right now I'm thinking self service.

Thanks for posting the track number. I had my money on Track 11, so that's interesting that it went out on 10 today. It's been enjoyable to follow along with you on this trip and is getting me excited about my upcoming trek on #2. The Sunset Limited is a special train with a long and storied past, and it is neat to ride it and participate in its ongoing history. Keep up the great work!

Thanks. Cold rain and snow.

The sca did come and offer to make the bed. Though a bit early, I took her up on the offer. She is pleasant but not talkative. She chatted breifly in palm springs. When she saw me in the lounge waiting for dinner she asked how I was doing. She cares, just quiet.

We arrived Yuma at 8:54. 1 hour 9 late.

I'm checking out for tonight.

The Los Angeles yard is no better than Chicago. The 2130 car has no cups. After a middle of the night shower, a minor annoyance for brushing teeth. I used a small bottle of water. At dinner, they didn't have the market choIce either. How can you not have something at the first dinner. Hope they gave extras of the rest of the entrees.

Arrived El Paso 8:30 am. I walked the train and got the consist.

32058 sleeper

34098 coach

34046 coach

31006 coach baggage

33018 lounge

38058 diner

32021 sleeper

39042 sleeper

1720 baggage

62 engine

59 engine

Outstanding dining car lsa. She did lunch and dinner reservations. I complimented her and told her about the eb lsa from last summer who did not do dinner or lunch reservations.

The lunch reservation was huge. Makes everything relaxed.

We lost another hour in del rio. Immigrations came on and searched the coaches. No announcement was made. I was chatting away on my cell phone and looked out the window to see the immigrations officer with a guy in hand cuffs.

There were several meets with freights with some slow running mixed in. I fell asleep and woke up at 12:20 am in San Antonio. Was never advised of protocol about leaving the train. I did not ask either since was hot and sleepy we still have the sca from LA. She was busy making the beds in the family room. We were still attached to 2 which should have left at 11:55 pm. As I was writing this 2 freights passed by. So there is lots of freight traffic.

About 12:55 I here somebody yell all aboard and then we pull forward a bit. I check status for 21 and it's due in at 2:25. Somehow I'm beginning to think that I'll not be watching the bears on Monday night. I think 22 will be delayed due to crew rest iirc operating procedures correctly.

A mechanic boards and immediately notices the car is too warm. The lsa told him the car had been like that since LA. " well fix that" he says. What he doesn't know is that this will be a huge difference maker. If AC continues to work better across the remainder of Texas with 3 digit heat warnings, he will be the single most important employee for the passengers of car 2230. And most will never meet him. What a difference one proud emplyee can make.

After a few hours of sleep, I woke up to because of no AC. It's 5:55 and apparently we are being switched onto 22. It pulled up next to us on the other track.

During the night we sat in the station with the door open. For most of the night one could have left and got back on from my point of view. I'm assuming that once one left they could walk through station an gain access to the platform to get back the train.

The switching is completed by 6:25. The 2230 car is the last car on the train. So I have a railfan window for today and tomorrow too.

This does seam strange because I rode in the 2230 car last February and we were at the front of the train. And iirc, this had been described as normal.

I saw the lax-San Antonio lsa leave in street clothes. Have not seen the replacement. Also getting hungry and am beginning to wonder when the diner will open.

Just met the new sca. He came in on 21 last night and explained that breakfast might be a late,,beginning at 7:30. Since 21 was Several hours late last night I can understand. The new sca is starting off as crisp and professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back