Texas eagle 422

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This trip shows why rewards programs are great. I wanted to get one more taste of railroading before school starts. Looked at amsnag and the availability of frequent flyer award tickets on AA and los Angeles to Chicago on 422 was the winner. I snagged a roomette for 20000 agr points. 25,000 miles on AA got me a one way ticket Chicago to lax in fc.

So I'm now sitting at the gate at ORD. If all goes well AA 1063 will depart on time at 8:05 am. Once in LA I'll take the fly away bus to union station. Then a round trip to San Diego before checking into the hotel. Tomorrow I'll ride the gold line and have lunch at a trendy hamburger joint I n Hollywood before boarding 422.

So I'm now sitting at the gate at ORD. If all goes well AA 1063 will depart on time at 8:05 am. Once in LA I'll take the fly away bus to union station. Then a round trip to San Diego before checking into the hotel. Tomorrow I'll ride the gold line and have lunch at a trendy hamburger joint I n Hollywood before boarding 422.
The weather is nice out here (LAUPT should be in the mid eighties) for your ride out of SoCal tomorrow. The marine layer has peeled away from the coastline this week, so your trip to San Diego should also be beautiful.

Could you post the track number that the Texas Eagle departs from tomorrow? I'll be riding the Sunset Limited out to NOLA next month, and I've been trying to gauge whether 2/422 usually leaves from a particular track, similar to how the NB Coast Starlight uses Track 10. Thanks man, and have a great adventure!

Make sure to swing by Philippe's which is just a couple short blocks north of LAUS on Alameda Street. Even at 0830, that Dipped Beef Sandwich loaded with Peppers is a great way to start a Train Day :D

I achieved first goal of the day. I am in line to board the 12:25 pacific surfliner to San Diego. I upgraded to Bc.

My first use of the amtrak iPhone app was not problem free. Somehow my agr# did not make it into the reservation. I think I created the problem by trying to update my email after buying the tickets. Despite using my old sign in and password, no agr # on the ticket that I printed at the quick track. At Least I caught this before upgrading to Bc.

I was first in line and Bc was still more than 75% full. I was lucky to get a full window on ocean side. But riding backwards. Somebody sat next to me and complained that the train was full. I told him that I don't work for Amtrak and don't handle their complaints. Time for the Boise noise canceling headphones.

Also a family with small noisy kids in Bc. Glad to see people riding trains.

Made this same trip last Summer but got to ride in the Great Dome :wub: instead of the crowded second "Business Class" car that was full. Snagged my "Snak-Pack and Drink" and rolled down the Coast in style, Back to the Future in a Dome Car! I'm envious, San Diego is fantastic! (Its 107 here now, 70 days in a row over 100 and the Eagles are running with OTPs similar to the CZ/EB and other Very Late Trains! Yikes!)Have a French Dip for me too as the previous poster said! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoying your trip report, as I'll be taking the 421 from Chicago to Los Angeles in October. I'm curious to hear whether, per Page 96 in the Spring-Summer 2001 Amtrak System Timetable, "Passengers are free to detrain and enjoy the sites of the city." I've heard that leaving a sleeper and returning to it prior to general boarding for departure hooked to the Sunset Limited isn't always an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll find out if I can. I'll probably not leave the train. However if I see or here how this works I'll let you know. Keep in mind thar individual employees at Amtrak often create rules and procedures to limit their inconvenience. Thus what one person experiences will be different from one trip to another.

I'm onboard 785 returning now from San Diego. Were on time. If these cars are similar to what we will get in the Midwest in a fee years, I'll be happy.

Well, I had to learn for myself: take a cab from union station to downtown Los Angeles Marriott. Instead of following suggestions from wise locals, I took the metro to civic center. It is a long 15 minute walk with some hills. The worst part is walking through the long tunnel along a street that goes under a hill. Even though I work on south side of Chicago, I was not comfortable. Though no one bothered me, it was not pleasant. Needless to say I'll take a cab tomorrow.

I am just finishing my breakfast at the Marriott. Next step is to check out and cab to union station. From there I'll ride the entire gold line. The take the red line to Hollywood where I'll eat lunch at the go burger.

I am just finishing my breakfast at the Marriott. Next step is to check out and cab to union station. From there I'll ride the entire gold line. The take the red line to Hollywood where I'll eat lunch at the go burger.
Dont forget Phillipes! :wub: And wave when you roll through Austin!!(But dont get off the Train, 107 here today, the SSL is AC!!! :help: )

I had to skip Phillips. I wanted to try Go Burger in Hollywood. Im sitting here right now digesting my upscale cheeseburger, duck fries, Virgils root beer, and chocolate chip cookie dough shake. Very filling. Think I'll be doing the 7 pm seating for dinner. Lol.

I had to skip Phillips. I wanted to try Go Burger in Hollywood. Im sitting here right now digesting my upscale cheeseburger, duck fries, Virgils root beer, and chocolate chip cookie dough shake. Very filling. Think I'll be doing the 7 pm seating for dinner. Lol.
Rub it in! :giggle: 106 here, too Hot for going anyywhere, LA must seem like Paradise! Hope #2 doesnt have the problems Wednesdays Train had!(UP Freight Engine in the lead, 6+Hours down @ Beaumont!)I know you dont mind delays, long as the HEP works youll have AC and Lights!

And the Sunset is known for good OBS and Diner Food, hope you have a good crew crossing the Desert! :p

I just stopped in Starbucks and bought a can of expresso double shot. I want to be awake For this afternoon. I can sleep tonight.

As I was typing the above, boarding was called for sleepers at 2:20. The 2230 car and 2215 coach are on the back.

We boarded from track 10 just like the starlight. Pacific surfliners appear to always use certain tracks too. I think 7 and 8.

Some guy just walked through the sleeper looking for seat 81. Crew is kind if asleep at the switch.
:eek: Sounds like the Senior OBS that usually run this Route might be on Vacation! So far the crew sounds like a Rookie bunch, of course since you're bringing up the markers the Diner Crew isnt there to buffer the wandering Coach pax! At least you have a rehabbed SLI and not a run to death SL II! Hope the steak is good, I'm envious! :giggle: Bon Voyage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back