Texas Central Railway

Discussion in 'High Speed and Other Non-Amtrak Intercity Rail' started by The Davy Crockett, Aug 25, 2013.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. May 6, 2018 #176

Anderson

A

Anderson

Conductor

What seems likely (to me, at least) is a San Antonio-Austin-[somewhere in the middle of the existing route] line. You'd have an expensive junction to accommodate San Antonio-Dallas and San Antonio-Houston trains, but doing so probably saves you something like 50-70 miles of track construction (at a minimum). There's a reasonable chance that adding San Antonio and Austin together (to Houston) at the cost of adding 10-15 minutes to travel time would do better than "just" San Antonio-Houston. Granted, you would ideally find a way to serve Waco, etc. along the I-35 corridor, but I suspect that San Antonio/Austin/College Station would be more than sufficient to support the line in question.

2. May 7, 2018 #177

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

Long after I'm dead.

3. May 15, 2018 #178

AlamoWye

A

AlamoWye

Train Attendant

So it seems like this Amtrak agreement with Texas Central was put out this early so that Texas Central can operate under federal rules of the STB instead. The STB had ruled a couple of years ago that since Texas Central was only intrastate that it was subject to Texas' rules and not under STB jurisdiction. By being under federal rules it "might" make it easier to get some of the recalcitrant counties less resistant because their complaints would have to be heard at the federal level, whereas previously State and local legislation were being passed to kill the route.

But who knows in these days where the federal government is changing so dramatically with its oversight.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2018
    Devil's Advocate likes this.
  4. Oct 12, 2018 #179

DSS&A

D

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

5. Oct 12, 2018 #180

bretton88

b

bretton88

Conductor

6. Nov 26, 2018 #181

Rover

Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant AU Supporter

Channel 8 sent over a reporter to Japan to look into HS Bullet Trains. You'll have to Goggle it to find the report. Just wanted you to know.

7. Nov 26, 2018 #182

cirdan

cirdan

cirdan

Conductor

I'm not sure about late night timings, but on the whole the Greyhound between Houston and Dallas is fine. Done it several times.

The Greyhound sttaion in Dallas is right in the middle, about a block from Union Station and also DART connected and within easy walking distance of several attractions.

In Hoston the Greyhound station is slightly more peripheral but at least reachable by METRO train.

So I guess that Texas Central adopting a similar concept has a precedent  :)

john h likes this.
  8. Nov 28, 2018 #183

Anderson

A

Anderson

Conductor

If they carbon-copy the Japanese model, operations would stop at about midnight (so last departure a bit before 2300) and restart at 0600 (first arrival around 0730).  Of course, it may well be determined that this can be "fudged" a bit on certain days.

9. May 10, 2019 #184