Temperature nightmare on Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May 29, Car 1130 PDX to LAX
Got to my room in Portland. Room was absolutely freezing. Attendant told me car had been in Oakland yard for repairs. They couldn’t fix it-but put it back into service anyway.
After dinner room was approximately 85 degrees. Impossible to sleep.
Next morning room was freezing again, and stayed that way to LA.
Of course it was impossible to call customer relations.
Used points.
What now?

If a voucher for future travel would be of any use to you, you can request one by email here: https://www.amtrak.com/contact-us/email.html

You might not get anything, but then again you might. In my most recent experience submitting a complaint by email, I never even got a response to my complaint, but my traveling companion and I were each awarded a $100 voucher, to use within a year.

If a voucher for future travel would be of any use to you, you can request one by email here: https://www.amtrak.com/contact-us/email.html

You might not get anything, but then again you might. In my most recent experience submitting a complaint by email, I never even got a response to my complaint, but my traveling companion and I were each awarded a $100 voucher, to use within a year.

Tried it yesterday
Still no reply

Be patient. With all the weather disruptions lately, they probably have quite a backlog of emails to deal with. If you haven't heard from them in a week or two, try again.

This happened to me very recently. There had been an HVAC failure the night before so half of the roomettes were freezing, half were boiling hot. Fortunately I know one of the conductors personally so I got moved to Room A but I was so sick for the remainder of my trip, I couldn’t eat much less enjoy my upgrade. It took some calling on my behalf (I’m deaf) but I finally got an $80 voucher for future travel.

Back