Tell me about the Texas Eagle!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AMTRAK charges to mail tickets.
...Unless you're starting from an unstaffed station with no automated ticket machines. Amtrak will then mail the tickets free of charge, provided you're booking more than (IIRC) 5 (or maybe it's 9) days before the train. If it's within that window, Amtrak will mail them but charge an express mail fee.
Not to confuse the topic, but there is another time they will mail the tickets for free. If you redeem an AGR award for travel more than 30 days in the future even from a staffed station, AGR will INSIST on mailing you the tickets free of charge. But if you're paying for your tickets, you must pay dlivery!

Go figure! :rolleyes:

...Unless you're starting from an unstaffed station with no automated ticket machines. Amtrak will then mail the tickets free of charge, provided you're booking more than (IIRC) 5 (or maybe it's 9) days before the train. If it's within that window, Amtrak will mail them but charge an express mail fee.
Not to confuse the topic, but there is another time they will mail the tickets for free. If you redeem an AGR award for travel more than 30 days in the future even from a staffed station, AGR will INSIST on mailing you the tickets free of charge. But if you're paying for your tickets, you must pay dlivery!

Didn't someone mention that this policy had been changed recently?

Didn't someone mention that this policy had been changed recently?
Yes, over in the AGR forum. Although I believe that the change is just on the word Insist. You can now request to pick up the tickets, but if you don't, they'll still mail them for free.

I called the AGR center to redeem my points on Oct trip two weeks ago. The agent told me that I can pick the ticket up at the station.
That would be last Oct. trip , correct???

You don't receive points til after you travel,correct???

AND You find out about AGR Specials thru thier e-mail, correct??? :unsure:

I called the AGR center to redeem my points on Oct trip two weeks ago. The agent told me that I can pick the ticket up at the station.

No. He's saying that he just called Amtrak to use some of his points for a free ticket that he plans to use this coming October.

Since he's using a free ticket, he won't get any points for the upcoming trip in October, and of course in fact used up a bunch of points to get said free trip.

However, to answer your other question, one does not receive any points for a paid trip until after one actually takes the trip. That is unless you used your AGR credit card to buy those tickets, in which case you will get points for the purchase right away. But you still won't get the points for traveling until after you have actually traveled.

And yes, if there are any AGR specials, then they usually will email you about them. Specials that apply to everyone, and are not targetted to specific members, also can usually be found on the AGR website.

No. He's saying that he just called Amtrak to use some of his points for a free ticket that he plans to use this coming October.

Since he's using a free ticket, he won't get any points for the upcoming trip in October, and of course in fact used up a bunch of points to get said free trip.

However, to answer your other question, one does not receive any points for a paid trip until after one actually takes the trip. That is unless you used your AGR credit card to buy those tickets, in which case you will get points for the purchase right away. But you still won't get the points for traveling until after you have actually traveled.

And yes, if there are any AGR specials, then they usually will email you about them. Specials that apply to everyone, and are not targetted to specific members, also can usually be found on the AGR website.
Thanks Alan! I should say buy a ticket by points, not cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back