Tell Me About the Picture in Your Avatar-----

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like trains and traveling on trains, but, I love my dog and that is my avatar.

This is Prince Archibald of Stonewyck. He is a Coton de Tulear and is three year of age.

He is a wonderful pet and very much a part of our family.

I like trains and traveling on trains, but, I love my dog and that is my avatar.This is Prince Archibald of Stonewyck. He is a Coton de Tulear and is three year of age.

Didn't realize that you have royalty in the family. Best wishes to His Highness. :)

My avatar shows an Indian Railways WP Class steam locomotive arriving with a train at Howrah Station of Kolkata. I took this picture in 1982.

WP's were the passenger workhorse of Indian Railways. They are powerful Pacifics capable of operating at 70mph, though were restricted to 60mph on IR due to track conditions. In all 755 were built making them one of the more numerous classes of the world. The original set was manufactured by Baldwin in their Eddystone plant outside Philadelphia and delivered in 1948. Subsequent batches were variously manufactured by Baldwin, MLW, Polish Locomotive Works, Czech Locomotive Works, and finally a huge number at the Chittaranjan Locomotive Works of IR in my birth state West Bengal in India. About half a dozen are preserved, with three in operating condition. They were beautiful machines, and all my childhood railfanning is intimately connected with them.

I like trains and traveling on trains, but, I love my dog and that is my avatar.This is Prince Archibald of Stonewyck. He is a Coton de Tulear and is three year of age.

He's super cute. I wish he could come to the Gathering.

Re Arcibald coming to the gathering. Maybe Dave could claim he's a service dog since, I believe, he's going to be on the same trains as Dick. :)

Dave, you're always in trouble. :eek:

Which is probably why you're always riding the rails. :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread prompted me to change my avatar. Mine now is a picture of the Harpers Ferry, WV station (my old stomping ground) after a massive snowstorm in 2009. I lived a mile from the station and walked to the station to take this and other pictures.

I don't Post an Avatar since I wish to Travel on Amtrak Anonymously without having to take my Security and not be interrupted in the Diner and Lounge by Passsengers wanting Pictures and Autographs! Only way to Travel! ;)

**The Truth is I'm a Luddite and don't know how! :giggle:

I don't Post an Avatar since I wish to Travel on Amtrak Anonymously without having to take my Security and not be interrupted in the Diner and Lounge by Passsengers wanting Pictures and Autographs! Only way to Travel! ;)
OK - I gave you one so you can't complain about it!

:hi: Thanks Tom, maybe I should go take a Computer Class or else have my Computer Guru, my 11 year old Grandaughter, give me some Lessons! :giggle:

Once I remembered how to do it ;) , I changed my picture. This is the streetside view of the Spokane Amtrak station, a view most Amtrak passengers except for those living in and around Spokane never see---a view in full daylight! :lol:

:hi: Thanks Tom, maybe I should go take a Computer Class or else have my Computer Guru, my 11 year old Grandaughter, give me some Lessons! :giggle:
Aloha

11 Year old Computer Guru, You have no chance to understand what she knows. Just get her to do it for you.

:giggle: :lol: :rolleyes:

Aloha

11 Year old Computer Guru, You have no chance to understand what she knows. Just get her to do it for you. :giggle: :lol: :rolleyes:
My 9 year old grandson won computer-whiz of the year at his school this year. You can't survive without the skills!

Aloha
11 Year old Computer Guru, You have no chance to understand what she knows. Just get her to do it for you. :giggle: :lol: :rolleyes:
My 9 year old grandson won computer-whiz of the year at his school this year. You can't survive without the skills!
Ive always said that there were two ways to make a Living that I would Starve if I had to Work in and that's Cooking and High Tech! ;) Congrats to the Grand Son, Summer got Student of the Year in her Middle School also and won 1st place for her project in the Math/Computer Science Fair in her School District! I was still Playing Cowboys and Indians with Pals when I was 11! They Grow up so Fast! ;)

Once I remembered how to do it ;) , I changed my picture. This is the streetside view of the Spokane Amtrak station, a view most Amtrak passengers except for those living in and around Spokane never see---a view in full daylight! :lol:
Nice JayPea........ and I have seen that side of the Spokane station albeit not in the daylight. In 2002 I flew into Spokane landing about 10:00pm, caught a cab to the train station, and left in the wee hours on the Portland section of the Empire Builder. If you'll recall, Amtrak was under threat of a total shutdown that summer and having never ridden the Portland section of the Builder or the Coast Starlight, I flew out and rode them both....... just in case.

First of all if you ever wish to enlarge any of the thumbnails try this site. http://www.imagiris.com

Now for my avatar; it was taken in July 1973 just west of Montreal on the CPR. Amtrak had purchased two United Aircraft Turbotrains from the CN. They were being updated in the basement of the CN station in Montreal by United Aircraft employees.

I was the Amtrak QC person at that site.

The first completed set was on a test run and just left the depot and was accelerating at 95 mph I was assigned to observe the indicated speed at certain points and the brake pipe pressure while the braking tests were performed. These duties had me standing between the engineer's seat and the fireman's seat (which was occupied by a CNR road foreman). We past a yellow signal at approximately 90 mph (I called the signal verbally and did not have either of the other two people with controls respond) and accelerating and came to the red signal at 95. Seeing a freight train crossing over and about his last 6 cars were still on our track. I started to beat on the engineer's shoulder and shout at him to stop the train and made a comment about him by incestuous,

He did put the train in emergency and I felt in my mind I was going to die so I stood there and watched the train was at 75 mph when we struck the freight train. Obviously I survived with shock, contusions, abrasions and smoke inhalation.

There is much more to this tale but that's enough for now

oldtimer aka Al

Yours truly boarding the Southern Railway/Norfolk & Western "Tennessean" in Washington Union Station c.1962

Sorcha, the only problem with your current avatar is that we don't get to see your eyes.

My avatar photo was taken in April 2012 in Ireland. Nothing train-related about it.
Awww. :wub:

Here you go. This was taken on the SWC, after trying to sleep in Coach (and failing). I was sooooooo tiiiiiired. I pulled my hair back and decided to document my sleepy, baggy eyes.

Also, color me super jealous that you got to go to Ireland!
Sorcha, what lovely blue eyes you have to match your pretty smile!

MODERATOR NOTE: photo removed by request

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as most can see, mine is not train related or a self portrait. I did want to break the camera. It is a picture of my 'pet' blue and gold macaw, taking a bath in his water dish, who calls me mom. I guess I could post one of our local station, but it's kind of oogly!

Didn't realize that you have royalty in the family. Best wishes to His Highness. :)
Charlie: The Coton de Tulear is the Royal Dog of Madagascar!!

Back