Tehachapi: The Report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
To those who have been riding me to hurry up with this report: Shut up already!

Before getting started I wanna send a shout out to wayman - fellow forum folk - who dug up details about the route in time for me to print before leaving home. Very helpful not only to me, but also to the people with whom I shared. Thanks, wayman!!

SECTION 1

Arrived at LAUS about 9 a.m., Sunday, June 22, 2008. There's been some talk here about boarding procedures. Humongous line at the ticket windows, but I just walked over to the deserted QuikTrak machines, printed my tickets, and strolled on out to the platform. Guessed that Train 14 would be on Track 11 or 12 (same platform). Already a few people there, but no train yet. Walking up to the first small knot of people I asked "Tehachapi?" They responded enthusiastically in the affirmative, and we started talking about the trip. Nice guys. Passed out several Amtrak Unlimited cardlets before moving on in search of someone with a scanner.

Wasn't long before I found a scanner, but there was no immediate news, so continued sort of making the rounds. Asking how people had heard of the trip - all railfans on the platform at that point - when they had booked, how far they were going, and like that. Everybody was very pleasant, and spirits were high all around. We were gonna do Tehachapi!

After a time word did come in over the scanner that Train 14 had left the yard and was on its way. No news about what track, but we had all gambled on 11/12, and as things turned out we won the bet.

Backing to the platform was slow and tedious, but the train was finally spotted.

To my surprise, we were allowed to board almost immediately. I had a roomette, and my attendant was a spritely and pretty young lady named Lindsay. More on her later. Asked her if I could board. "Sure!" She checked for me on her list, then I boarded, parked my bags below, went to my roomette to dump the camera bag and extraneous weight from my laptop backpack, and returned to the platform to walk the train and get close-ups of the private varnish dome, Silver Solarium.

Knew it was a long way to Bakersfield, so as a smoker I was also sucking down the stogies like there was no tomorrow.

Wearing my Pacific Electric t-shirt, got several compliments on it while walking the train. SoCal is P.E. territory, and local railfans are aware. Oh yeah: I had also donned the fez, and there were compliments on that as well. The well-attired railfan! HAHAHA!!

Upon reaching Silver Solarium I was accosted by a guy who not only noticed the shirt, but turned out to be a fellow member of the Orange Empire Railway Museum. Said he's involved in working on the museum's library:

"Oh, an ACTIVE member!" (I'm not - live too far away)

"I'm not sure you'd call me active."

"Mildly engaged?"

"Thank you!"

He knew what the deal was with Silver Solarium. Originally supposed to be three PV cars, but only the one. Problem was, Amtrak dictated that the PV go all the way to Seattle and back, while the tour operator's plan was to stop at Portland, then return. When the surprise additional segments of the trip could not be sold, the planned three cars became just Silver Solarium. The operator, Trains Unlimited Tours, wasn't about to take a financial bath, and who can blame them? Not me, who found photo potential dramatically improved by the tour operator's distress.

Getting close to departure time, I walked back to my car, suckin' smoke all the way, and boarded.

Customer Service Manager Elizabeth came on the PA system with some announcements, the main one of which I'll paraphrase: If anybody on this train is going anywhere between Los Angeles and Salinas (she rattled off a list of the usual Coast Starlight stops), get off the train. This train is not going along its usual route on the coast today. Leave this train, return to the station, and you'll be put on a Pacific Surfliner.

Apparently passengers headed for points on the regular route north of Salinas were okay. Guess they would be bused from either Bakersfield or Sacramento, as these were our only stops.

CSM Elizabeth also said this was only the 2nd passenger train in 35 years to run over the Tehachapis. Not so sure about that, but didn't have the stats, and who cares anyway? I was going!!

NEXT: Departure, etc.

Coast Starlight Tehachapi Detour

Oh yeah: Happy to answer any questions as best I can, long as they don't get ahead of the report postings.

SECTION 2

Train 14 departed on time at 10:15 a.m.

I was concerned with getting lunch early. Didn't wanna risk being stuck in the dining car for the crucial part of the ride. So when solicited for a reservation, "What's the earliest you've got?" "11:30." "I'll take it!"

Talking at length with my car attendant, Lindsay, I learned that it was her first run as a non-trainee. A rookie! Naturally I razzed her mercilessly for the duration. We developed a cool rapport, and I jokingly said that if she had any questions...

She had marked up on the extra board (is that the right way to put it?), and only learned at the yard that morning that she would be making the non-coast Coast Starlight run. Lindsay hadn't been aware of the railfan significance of the run, which I tried to explain without foaming too badly. A spittle cup woulda come in handy about then.

She asked, "So you're on this train just because of the way we're going?" "Yes, and so are many others. You'll see."

Got tired of waiting around in my roomette for the conductor to come around and do the ticket thing, so started walking the train with ticket in hand.

Consist: Two P-42s, baggage car, crew dorm, 4 sleepers, what I thought was a refurbished PPC (more on this later), diner, observation/lounge, 4 coaches. I may be a bit off; more important things than counting cars, at least to me.

Looking out while doing the train walk I realized that we had made the change and were no longer in standard Coast Starlight territory. Junky scenery of the western San Fernando Valley. IIRC there was a recent forum thread about the ugliest scenery. I have a new nominee. Really bad. Trailer park hell. Just plain YUCK. At least we moved through it quickly. No pictures taken of this stretch. A wasteland.

NEXT: Out to the desert.

Keep up the great report. I almost bit on this bad boy. If i had though of my Aadvanatages miles, we would have been together on that train. My detour on the UP to St. Louis was canceled.

I see you didn't go through the Cajon Pass. (Or am I getting ahead?) Great report so far! :)

Wish I could have made it! (Gloat gloat :) - cry cry :( )

I almost bit on this bad boy. If i had though of my Aadvanatages miles, we would have been together on that train. My detour on the UP to St. Louis was canceled.
If not for the midwest flooding, I was supposed to be on it! :angry: (I even had my tickets! But I cancelled - and lucky I did, because the SWC arrived LAX 45 minutes after the CS departed! It was 3 hours late!)

Lindsay hadn't been aware of the railfan significance of the run, which I tried to explain without foaming too badly. A spittle cup woulda come in handy about then.
She asked, "So you're on this train just because of the way we're going?" "Yes, and so are many others. You'll see."
I find it unlikely that railfans would be the only type of people who like to take advantage of infrequent opportunities to see things that you can't see every day.

I find it unlikely that railfans would be the only type of people who like to take advantage of infrequent opportunities to see things that you can't see every day.
A valid point, but I think that in this case railfans were the folks most likely to be aware of the Tehachapi detour and grab reservations first. Believe me, that train was positively lousy with railfans. Couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a foamer. Plenty of regular, non-frothing passengers as well, and it was easy to see that they were thoroughly mystified by the carnival atmosphere, and by clowns with cameras racing up and down the aisles (I was far from the only one).

This report is being done in sections, as was the steam excursion report, because my small brain grows weary if overdriven, and I need to pause from time to time to collect my thoughts. Both of them.

SECTION 3

The changeover from standard Coast Starlight territory occurred at Burbank Junction. From there to Lancaster, this part of the route sees daily passenger traffic in the form of Metrolink commuter trains. Heading out on the Valley Subdivision, we soon passed through "Tunnel 25," which took us out of the San Fernando Valley. This tunnel is L-O-N-G. Not Moffat scale, but close to that neighborhood.

Emerging from the tunnel into the Santa Clarita Valley, and running through the Newhall area, the scenery was spectacularly mediocre. Extended suburbia, with some industry thrown in.

Lunchtime!

I was seated in the diner with a very pleasant older couple. Of course Mr. Mouthy here began the interrogation immediately. No waterboarding. It was considered, but rejected as unseemly in public. They had been on vacation visiting relatives when they learned about the detour, and decided to shoehorn the Tehachapi ride into their trip home.

Around this time we were traversing Soledad Canyon before dropping into the desert. Surburbia was giving way to vistas that can be described as severe desolation. I happen to like such scenery.

Had the burger for lunch. Satisfactory once the server brought the Tabasco. And speaking of the server, hadn't been on the train much over an hour, but my reputation had already preceded me. Server said, "I hear you ride the train a lot." "I try." Never seen her before in my life, and no way she coulda known that except by talking with other crewmembers, who I always chat up.

It's the fez. Attention grabber, and surefire conversation piece ("You're a Shriner?"). And that's the whole point; willing to look like a goofball to kickstart communication.

Still eating and talking in the diner as we dropped into Palmdale in the Mojave (mo-HA-vee) desert. Saw the Lockheed Skunk Works, a Boeing facility that was too far away to get a decent shot, and the mothball airliner fleet at Mojave airport.

Following a raspberry cheesecake dessert in the desert, bade farewell and good trip to my dining companions. Time to to gird my grid for the main event.

NEXT: Into the Tehachapis.

SECTION 4

As far back as I was in the train - last Amtrak coach (EDIT: for photos; roommette in 3rd car) - there was a definite feel of the locomotives laboring on the uphill grades into the Tehachapis. Couldn't hear it, couldn't really see it, but a feel. Difficult to describe.

Let me back up a bit. I've told you that the train was lousy with railfans. I woulda thought that railfans would be glued to the windows, paying rapt attention to the scenery, as I was. But no.

Many that I saw were just chewing the fat, totally oblivious to the scenery. Some even with their heads down, playing cards while listening to their scanner earphones. Seemed like they were along for the ride just so they could say they did Tehachapi. Not really interested in the scenery. Mystifying to me.

Jamming through the desert before climbing into the mountains, I heard more than one person complain along the lines of "There's not much to see out here."

Kept my mouth shut, for a change, but I really beg to differ.

For starters, I find the desert beautiful.

And even if I didn't, that's hardly the point of such a trip. I mean, beautiful scenery or not, you almost never get to view that landscape from a passenger train. THAT'S the point. A rarity to be cherished, not wasted playing cards and yammering about freights gone by.

Also found that some so-called railfans are highly insular. Not only are they not really interested in the train they're on (then why did they bother?), but they don't wanna talk to you. Try to drum up conversation, get stared at like you're from Mars, and get ignored while they go back to talking about whether the XM-35 shear bolt is inferior to the XM-33.5 shear bolt. Just plain nuts.

If they don't know you, they don't wanna talk to you. How is that helpful to spreading the railroad gospel? The websites are filled with high-minded mission statements, but when you try talkiing to the clowns it's a brick wall.

Sorry for the rant, and we'll get back to the train ride in the next section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many that I saw were just chewing the fat, totally oblivious to the scenery. Some even with their heads down, playing cards while listening to their scanner earphones. Seemed like they were along for the ride just so they could say they did Tehachapi. Not really interested in the scenery. Mystifying to me.
If someone who was completely blind was listening to a scanner and not watching the scenery, that would be completely non-mystifying, right?

Some people's brains process visual information in rather limited ways. Look up what faceblindness is.

If you put plain nuts on a special bolt, does the plain nut become the weak link and make the differences between the different special bolts irrelevant?
An excellent question, and I stuck around long enough to learn that if the framistan is correctly connected to the jamistan, it allows the whatzit (Part Number 7682-A) to function smoothly in concert with the normal motion of the back end of the ramalama, assuming it's been properly serviced.

Thanks for asking!

EDIT: I mistakenly noted that the whatzit (Part Number 7682-A) would function smoothly in concert with the back end of the ramalama. In fact, a correct connection between framistan and jamistan will allow the whatzit (Part Number 7682-A) to function smoothly with the FRONT end of the ramalama, but again assuming it's been properly serviced.

I apologize for this hideous error.

If you put plain nuts on a special bolt, does the plain nut become the weak link and make the differences between the different special bolts irrelevant?
An excellent question, and I stuck around long enough to learn that if the framistan is correctly connected to the jamistan, it allows the whatzit (Part Number 7682-A) to function smoothly in concert with the normal motion of the back end of the ramalama, assuming it's been properly serviced.

Thanks for asking!

EDIT: I mistakenly noted that the whatzit (Part Number 7682-A) would function smoothly in concert with the back end of the ramalama. In fact, a correct connection between framistan and jamistan will allow the whatzit (Part Number 7682-A) to function smoothly with the FRONT end of the ramalama, but again assuming it's been properly serviced.

Aloha

I have a question. To function, whether on the front, or back end doesn't the "ramalama", need a "Ding Dong"?

Thanks for asking!

Aloha

I have a question. To function, whether on the front, or back end doesn't the "ramalama", need a "Ding Dong"?
Only if it has a "thingamabob" on the left rail!

I was under the impression that there is no way Framistan and Jamistan would ever even talk to each other, much less establish a connection. Too many terrorists hiding in caves attempting to blow the other country up.

I was under the impression that there is no way Framistan and Jamistan would ever even talk to each other, much less establish a connection. Too many terrorists hiding in caves attempting to blow the other country up.
The People's Free Democratic Republic of Framistan, and the Democratic People's Republic of Free Jamistan do indeed communicate,

And BTW, when you see "free," "people's," "democratic," and "republic" in a country's name you can be fairly certain it's none of those things.

Unfortunately, communication between the two countries is pretty much limited to the taunts that accompany throwing hand grenades at each other across their shared border: "Die, Framistan pigdog!" "HAHA! You missed, Jamistan insect! Take this!!" BOOM! "Nyahh, Framistan fool, only killed one wife. 30 more."

Obviously ripe for democratization.

SECTION 5

As mentioned earlier, the sensation of locomotives working hard up a grade is difficult to describe. Maybe a railfan thing, as for instance when I tell relatives or friends before our Metrolink or Surfliner stop "Let's get ready. We're decelerating." "How do you know?" "I can feel it."

While we wound our way uphill I started seriosuly scouting around for photo positions. Observation car was the obvious choice, but it was in the middle of the train - not the best angles - and a foamer zoo. Finally decided to remain in the last Amtrak coach over the hill. Surprisingly minimal competition for window shooting, and those who were there kind of cooperated with each other, keeping up running commentary and conversation. Also a scanner guy there, who was very helpful in keeping us shutterbugs apprised of evolving events.

Rumors were rampant, despite the actual facts heard via scanner. "Seven freights at the top of the hill" was the most common misinformation. Some people seemed to be convinced that we would be held up forever. Didn't happen, and where such crap came from is beyond me.

We waited in double track territory for a meet with a BNSF freight, but I think that was because we were about to enter the single track running that the freight was exiting.

No 7 freights stacked up ever materialized, and we didn't pass any 7 freights. In view of available scanner info, where do such notions originate? People were spreading this junk! Guess we were also under attack from space aliens.

NEXT: The Tehachapi Loop.

SECTION 6

Ah, the Tehachapi Loop. Main attraction. I kept annoying the scanner guy with questions. "How long before the Loop?" "Where's the Loop?" "When do we get to the Loop?" Not just because he had a scanner, but also because he's a resident of the area. So I figured he'd know. In a running conversation I learned that he's an HO-scale modeler, belongs to a club that has a modular layout, and that until recently he never had much interest in the real thing; meaning actual trains. A little puzzling to me, but didn't grill the guy about it.

The shout went up: "THIS IS THE LOOP!!"

Northbound the Loop is a descent. Although aerial views show a hill in the center, this is not a serious problem for either viewing enjoyment or photography. What IS a serious problem for both viewing and photography is that once around that hill in the middle, the train descends into a cut before entereing the Loop tunnel. The walls of the cut are very close to the train - tight clearance - so looking forward you can't see much of anything except the roofs of the cars ahead. Then there's the short tunnel, and back out in the open. Let me point out here that while many views of the Tehachapi Loop feature freight trains passing over or under themselves on the Loop, the Coast Starlight was nowhere near long enough for that.

Tried to turn a disadvantage into an advantage by shooting astern and catching the dome Silver Lariat entering the Loop tunnel.

After the Loop, very interesting scenery as the train descended toward Bakersfield and the Central Valley. A highlight of that portion of the trip was the meet with Train 11 - southbound Coast Starlight.

NEXT: 14 meets 11 at Caliente.

Couple of questions that maybe are dumb or I missed somewhere...

Whay was this detour done? Was it a railfan special or something? The CS does not normally have that many sleepers does it?

Also, you never went back to the PPC that you thought was there. The pics look like there are two dining cars and no PPC. Is that true?

The UP allowed this detour because a rather small bridge was being replaced at the Santa Barbara, CA Depot.

The bridge in question is located under the north end of the Depot platform and at the south edge of W Montecito Street.

This work required the complete CLOSURE of the Coast Line.

You can see this little concrete creek if you go to the "Birds Eye" view on the MSN "Live Local" Maps.

In a nutshell, this is why the Amtrak Coast Starlight was routed over Tehachapi.

--- Daniel

=================================================

Couple of questions that maybe are dumb or I missed somewhere...
Whay was this detour done? Was it a railfan special or something? The CS does not normally have that many sleepers does it?

Also, you never went back to the PPC that you thought was there. The pics look like there are two dining cars and no PPC. Is that true?

Daniel3197 is correct about the reason for the detour.

And I haven't forgotten about the PPC issue, which will be addressed in a following section. Once out of the mountains there was more time to inspect the train, including the dreaded arcade car. Patience. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back