teen daughter traveling alone

Discussion in 'Guest Forum for Amtrak Questions' started by Anxious Mother, Feb 4, 2020.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Feb 5, 2020 #26

the_traveler

t

the_traveler

Conductor

That is true. Your roomette has a seat in it, so you would not need to sit in coach.

2. Feb 5, 2020 #27

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

I also agree that getting a roomette is a good choice. Meals are included (during normal meal times) with sleeper fare. Also, in my opinion, the restrooms in sleeper cars are cleaner than those in coach.

3. Feb 5, 2020 #28

jenmoan468

j

jenmoan468

Thanks again for all the input. We have a better sense of what her Amtrak experience will be now. Really appreciate that Amtrak has this forum! Nice service!

4. Feb 5, 2020 #29

the_traveler

t

the_traveler

Conductor

Just to let you know, AU is not affiliated with Amtrak in any way. We are just a bunch of people who love Amtrak travel - and want to help others also.

AFS1970 likes this.
  5. Feb 6, 2020 #30

Abe26

A

Abe26

Train Attendant

Amtrak is a very safe place. You should tell the conductor that she is traveling by herself, and they will keep a eye on her. 16 years old is already mature to know what not to do.

oregon pioneer likes this.
  6. Feb 7, 2020 #31

oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Conductor

If it's any help, I can tell you that I have found quite a few women over 65 traveling alone on Amtrak. As a Little Old Lady myself, I feel very safe. I have only once had an unpleasant encounter on Amtrak, and it was no more than a feeling on my part that I wished to avoid the passenger in question (as did other passengers -- he was just a little strange). I was in coach on the Sunset Ltd at the time. I spoke to the conductor, and he spoke to the passenger warning him to "stay in his lane," in effect. That took care of the situation and we had no more issues with him saying strange things.

I like traveling in a roomette, because it gives me personal space especially for sleeping, and a flat place to lie down (more important as I get older). But I travel in coach on day trips, and have only had any issues that one time. I've never seen anyone I thought less than respectable on the Empire Builder (my most frequent train). Amtrak does not require notification for 16 year olds traveling alone, but your daughter should identify who her car attendant is (one in each sleeper, one for each two coaches usually sitting at the rear of the coach), and notify them or the conductor if she feels any uneasiness.

Personally, I think this is a grand adventure for her, and she will have a lot of fun and begin learning to be on her own (full disclosure: I went most of the way across the country to college in coach, by myself, age 17, in 1968. I loved the trip).
    https://assistive.amtrak.com/h5/ass...ickets-reservations/unaccompanied-minors.html

7. Feb 12, 2020 at 8:32 PM #32

Saddleshoes

Saddleshoes

Saddleshoes

Train Attendant

I have to share!!!
    I worked part-time in the Illinois Department of Corrections for 26 years. I am also a frequent rider on the St. Louis to Chicago route. I have had a number of occasions had newly released cons get on the train with me. (Springfield, Lincoln and Pontiac are most likely.) I invite these guys to set with me! They are happy, scared, unsure and lost all at the same time. I love to introduce myself and tell them, "Welcome to he free world". I buy them a coke and a candy bar and visit. When I have done this it has been the highlight of my week every time!

8. Feb 13, 2020 at 1:44 PM #33

Brian Battuello

B

Brian Battuello

Train Attendant

Great story! Who knows, maybe you saved one of them from returning.

9. Feb 13, 2020 at 2:05 PM #34

Brian Battuello

B

Brian Battuello

Train Attendant

In the 1970's my girlfriend and I spent the night in the San Francisco Greyhound bus station. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. When I watched the Pixar "Inside Out" scene where the 11 year old girl runs away from home and passes through the SFG terminal, it gave me flashbacks for weeks. That was a very dangerous place.

Much more recently, I took my very mature 15 year old daughter to Cape Cod, and it was convenient to leave her in the Hyannis transit station for about 20 minutes in the middle of the day while I ran an errand. You can't imagine a more cheerful and happy place. But I happened to mention to the station attendant as I was leaving that she was with me and I'd be back soon. When I returned he said he was worried out of his mind the whole time and to never leave her there alone again. Go figure...

RichieRich likes this.
  10. Feb 13, 2020 at 3:12 PM #35

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

Same for the LA Greyhound Station and the Port Authority Station in New York!

Wierd, spooky places back in the day!!

oregon pioneer likes this.
  11. Feb 13, 2020 at 4:41 PM #36

anumberone

anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief AU Supporter

I wonder What's up when a original poster asks a serious question and never replies to questions or answers.

12. Feb 13, 2020 at 4:47 PM #37

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Conductor

Looks like she replied with post 16 and again with post 28 after creating a login.

13. Feb 13, 2020 at 6:11 PM #38

v v

v

v v

Conductor AU Supporter

Not often (if ever) would I disagree with you Bob, but have been in both places recently and think they are just different so need an alternative approach. We travel enough to assume we are not totally naïve people and in the US we have sort of the same language so neither of those causes can be used for misreading a situation.
    Greyhound stations are rough and ready (although the one in LA is the best we've been in for a long time), but there are still good conversations to be had and often a stranger has a ready smile for you, just different to other public transport.

Looking forward to meeting up again in San Diego

14. Feb 13, 2020 at 10:25 PM #39

me_little_me

m

me_little_me

Conductor

One suggestion - be sure your teen has her cellphone programmed with the Amtrak police Text-a-tip # (27311) and Phone (800)-331-0008 handy.

flitcraft likes this.
  15. Feb 14, 2020 at 6:46 AM #40

anumberone

anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief AU Supporter

Your right, I was looking for her original name. I was curious how far and where girl was traveling to.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 6:52 AM
  16. Feb 14, 2020 at 7:59 PM #41

Qapla

Qapla

Qapla

OBS Chief

Maybe the comment in post #29 scared her off ... since we are up to #41 and I don't see another post from the OP

17. Feb 14, 2020 at 9:09 PM #42

oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Conductor

Some people don't come here every day, LOL!

I am back to say that a lot depends on how the individual teen. If she is a passive girl, I guess I would want someone to watch over her and make sure no one takes advantage of that trait (which exists in people of all ages). If she has the gumption to walk away from an unpleasant situation, tell someone, make a phone call, nothing is going to get out of hand on Amtrak. After all, if anyone were to persist in bothering another passenger, they won't be getting off the train and away from Amtrak personnel until at least the next stop. This in itself is a deterrent!

Every once in a while, I see a news story about an Amtrak train being met by police at a station (for example, someone who has ignored a warning about smoking or drinking in public on the train). They don't let people get away with bad behavior.

pennyk likes this.
  18. Feb 14, 2020 at 10:27 PM #43

SarahZ

SarahZ

SarahZ

Conductor

She received several answers. There’s no need to return.

Qapla and pennyk like this.
  19. Feb 14, 2020 at 11:38 PM #44

Qapla

Qapla

Qapla

OBS Chief

Good point ... and very true :)

Draft saved Draft deleted