Taking my first trip: A bunch of questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I know that it isn't correct.  But, while I preferred roomette #1, I didn't have a strong objection to being assigned roomette #3.  My primary goal was to be on that side of the car.  It wasn't worth dealing with the hassle to switch to #1.  
Okay, cpotisch.  You inspired me to try again.

And... I was told that there would be an up-charge to switch to roomette #1.  I know that this is wrong, but I just don't have the desire to play their dysfunctional game anymore.

And... I was told that there would be an up-charge to switch to roomette #1.  I know that this is wrong, but I just don't have the desire to play their dysfunctional game anymore.
Fair enough. <sigh>

It really does frustrate me just how many Amtrak agents either don't know policy or have no idea to implement it. It's just a pain for those of us who know they are wrong, and a complete rip-off for those who don't know, and end up paying extra for things for no reason.

And before Thirdrail finds this and once again calls me a "jailhouse lawyer" who doesn't know policy, I want to emphasize the fact that if I am wrong about what policy is, that would also mean that all the agents who have agreed with me, are wrong as well. So either way, there's a large portion of Amtrak staff out there who don't know policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really does frustrate me just how many Amtrak agents either don't know policy or have no idea to implement it. It's just a pain for those of us who know they are wrong, and a complete rip-off for those who don't know, and end up paying extra for things for no reason.
If the vast majority of customers are informed that changing rooms will cost them more money, which seems extremely likely based on what I've seen and heard here and elsewhere, then it stands to reason that paying additional money is the primary policy and that moving for free has become the exceptional anomaly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough.
And before Thirdrail finds this and once again calls me a "jailhouse lawyer" who doesn't know policy, I want to emphasize the fact that if I am wrong about what policy is, that would also mean that all the agents who have agreed with me, are wrong as well. So either way, there's a large portion of Amtrak staff out there who don't know policy.
Remember there is a contracted out call center now... Ask the location of the call center next time. If it is indeed Philly, I don't know what to tell you, other than I apologize, but ask for a manager. There are bad agents, and there are great agents as well.

Well that’s definitely not correct. Did you try calling back for a different agent? Because there isn’t supposed to be any extra charge when switching to a different room or car.

1@trnzone[/USER] Why not just call USA-RAIL and see if you can be put in 9810?
Aside from it being closer to the dining car, is there any other reason? I don't mind walking on something I'm gonna be in for 24 hours. Also you guys made it seem like room 001 is good so would i want to give that up to be in, let's say, 004 on 9810?

Aside from it being closer to the dining car, is there any other reason? I don't mind walking on something I'm gonna be in for 24 hours. Also you guys made it seem like room 001 is good so would i want to give that up to be in, let's say, 004 on 9810?
Proximity to the diner is pretty much the only reason you want 9810.

On Viewliners, there are really only two benefits/disadvantages of specific Roomettes: a) their position in the train car, which can make a big difference in ride quality and noise, and b) whether the wider seat and beds will be facing forward (something I don't particularly care about, but others do). In the case of the Meteor, the odd numbered Roomettes face forward, so you may want to try for one of those, but I'm sure you'll be fine either way. I would happily take a backwards facing Roomette or one near the end of the car, in 9810, over a forward facing or centered Roomette in 9812.

Here is a diagram of a Viewliner sleeper. Rooms 3 and 4 are dead center in the car (with 3 facing forward), but you are almost certainly not going to feel any difference in ride quality in say 1/2 or 5/6.

amtrak-diagram-viewliner-sleeper.jpg

It's up to you, but I recommend calling and seeing what's available.

I would happily take a backwards facing Roomette or one near the end of the car, in 9810, over a forward facing or centered Roomette in 9812.
My first choice is an odd numbered room on the Meteor.  Although I prefer 9810 or 9710, if there are no odd numbered rooms available in the 10 car, I will choose an odd room in the 11 or 12 car.  I almost always make my reservations through a phone AGR agent (even if paying cash).  I have had decent (not perfect) luck being able to choose a suitable room.

I want to face forward for such a long trip.

So basically, if I can get 1, 3 or 5 in 9810, I make that move, otherwise just stay put?

I don't mind walking when I'm stationary for such a long time. So if proximity to the dining car is the only real advantage, it's not a huge deal to me. Now, my mind may be changed after the trip. Haha.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a rear facing roomette.  What we are talking about is the direction that the wider of the two seats will be facing.

And keep in mind that while there is a very good chance that the car will be facing in a certain direction, there is no guarantee of that.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a rear facing roomette.  What we are talking about is the direction that the wider of the two seats will be facing.

And keep in mind that while there is a very good chance that the car will be facing in a certain direction, there is no guarantee of that.
It's been a long time since I last saw 97/9810 oriented the other way around. This is because the dining car doesn't have a vestibule of its own, and they don't want the nearest one to be more than 85 feet away.

My wife and I travel together and thus, in a roomette, one of us will be facing forward and one backwards. I have found that facing backwards has some advantages. When facing forwards, often by the time you see something of interest it flies by, while it stays in view longer when facing backwards.

I want to face forward for such a long trip.

So basically, if I can get 1, 3 or 5 in 9810, I make that move, otherwise just stay put?

I don't mind walking when I'm stationary for such a long time. So if proximity to the dining car is the only real advantage, it's not a huge deal to me. Now, my mind may be changed after the trip. Haha.
As VT said, it's just the wide seat that is facing backward. If you don't need those extra two or so inches of seat width, you can spend the day facing forward in the other seat. You probably won't want to sleep with your head at then, since it'll be right next to the toilet and you won't have much space to move around, but I really don't think it's much of an issue to spend the night facing away from the direction of travel. And if you really do want to sleep facing forward, but away from the toilet, you can just do that in the upper bunk, which is in many ways nicer than the lower. In fact, some of us prefer to just sleep in the upper bunk when traveling alone on Viewliners and leave the seats up, since you don't need to bother turning down or making up the room before and after. Point is, a room with the wide seat facing backward really isn't anything close to the end of the world, even on a 25 hour ride.

As VT said, it's just the wide seat that is facing backward. If you don't need those extra two or so inches of seat width, you can spend the day facing forward in the other seat. You probably won't want to sleep with your head at then, since it'll be right next to the toilet and you won't have much space to move around, but I really don't think it's much of an issue to spend the night facing away from the direction of travel. And if you really do want to sleep facing forward, but away from the toilet, you can just do that in the upper bunk, which is in many ways nicer than the lower. In fact, some of us prefer to just sleep in the upper bunk when traveling alone on Viewliners and leave the seats up, since you don't need to bother turning down or making up the room before and after. Point is, a room with the wide seat facing backward really isn't anything close to the end of the world, even on a 25 hour ride.
Gotcha. I forgot there are two seats! Haha. 

Oh, that's disappointing. But I guess that's true, not really going out West or anything.

Is it mostly all flat terrain or are there long parts over water or anything?
The "tunnel of trees" comment someone made earlier is accurate. Especially between Richmond and Fredericksburg (where the WiFi won't work, BTW, because there's no cell service).

But I can tell you that in Virginia, the trains do go over some pretty dramatic river views. Based on my Northeast Regional trips here's what you can expect to see between Petersburg and Washington:

Upon leaving Petersburg station it's trees, trees, and more trees. Then, out of nowhere, acres and acres of desert-painted Hummers, tanks and other Army trucks as you pass the massive US Defense Supply Center Richmond just north of Chester. The rows of military vehicles seems to go on forever. That'll be to the right of the train as you head north.

Then it's more trees with the occasional warehouse and some people's back yards as you near Richmond. Then you cross the James River and the view is pretty dramatic as this is the part of the river above the Fall Line so the river is shallow and angry with lots of rocks and rapids. The rail bridge is pretty tall so you've got a bird's eye view of the river and the river-hugging tracks below you. At the shore the tracks merge with a highway and you'll find yourself in the median of I-195 for a few miles. Then you leave the highway and turn left into the CSX yard.

From here everything's pretty industrial for a while, including the Richmond Staples Mill station stop. Once you pass under I-295 it's back to forest for a few minutes until you pass through Ashland and the Randolph-Macon College campus. Then comes the tunnel of trees as you enter the abyss north of Doswell, crossing under I-95 and losing LTE service until you get closer to Fredericksburg. Leaving FBG you cross the rather narrow and nondescript (at this crossing) Rappahannock river and plunge back into the woods.

After a while you'll start to parallel the Potomac river, bisecting the Marine Corps Base Quantico. For the next several miles you will cross over the mouths of many creeks emptying into the Potomac. These rather low bridges give you some awesome water views. Northbound, the Potomac is to the right and the tributary creeks to the left. The northernmost of these crossings, the Occoquan River, marks when the train enters the southern reaches of the DC metro area and the scenery changes to concrete.

As you pass Alexandria you get up close and personal with DCA Airport and then cross the Potomac into DC. Once in the district you'll enter the First Street Tunnel and be in the dark for a few minutes approaching Union Station.

Woods.JPG

James River.JPG

Occoquan River.JPG

Especially between Richmond and Fredericksburg (where the WiFi won't work, BTW, because there's no cell service).
Can't emphasize this part enough. And it's a real shame, since the Virtual Railfan Ashland cam gets a full shot of the Meteor, yet I can never watch us pass through, since there's no cell service. :(

I'd be totally fine if the 20 minutes dead spot were at any other part of the route, but the ONE PLACE where I could actually watch our own train whiz through, is where I can't connect. Argh! I mean, how do the locals even manage without any service?

. . . there really aren’t any sudden bumps or movements on the train. . .
Perhaps not on these two particular trains, but if you've never been on a train that encountered a severe sunkink you'll never know what a violent sideways motion can be like.  This is most common in the Summer on Western routes with long stretches of straight track.  Here's what a sunkink looks like:

SunKinka.jpg

I learn so much here, its amazing !

I have never eally been concerned about where my roomette was in relation to the Dining car etc, and I generally always sit facing the direction of travel, as it is what I enjoy.

As an Aussie long distance training is something we dont do a lot of at home, but I adore Amtrak, and have a couple more journeys to do before I will have done a complete do around.

On the Viewliners I sleep away from the toilet, head at the other end, top bunk for my gear.

Superliners, head in direction of travel, for some reason I get a bit nauseous if I sleep the other way round.

Have only ever requested a change of room once, and that was more a matter of very noisy people in next roomettes, and a particularly intrusive anebriated Amtrak employee who was travelling, was put in the Transdorm for that journey. Its good for you to get up and walk around, so being at the other end of the train isn't a huge concern really.

And no, I didnt have pay anything. It helps to be super polite.

Hey all. I'm back and gearing up for my trip! Thanks to everyone for all of the help, answered questions, etc. Got a new round though now that I'm a couple weeks away from boarding. Hope no one minds. Figured it would be easier to restart this thread than create a new one.

Reminder: Roomette going FL to NYC.

1. What should I bring on the trip that I may not be thinking about to either make the ride more enjoyable, easier, etc.? Two items I already have on my list are an extension cord and some Clorox wipes to clean things down.

2. Luggage. I have a 25" suitcase that I'm bringing. I know you *can* check luggage, but it would seem to be a bit of a hassle, especially by the time I arrive at Penn Station. Can I carry this on? An if I do, is there anywhere in the roomette to put it so it is largely out of my way? If not, I'll just check it.

3. Beds. What time do they come around and ask to put it down? What time do they put it up in the morning? How "sturdy" are the top ones? I'm a larger guy and have never really been a "top bunk" person. I understand the benefit of using the top bunk so you keep the seats open on the bottom. Just curious.

4. Food. What are the best items for breakfast / lunch / dinner, IYO?

5. How early should I get to the station before my initial boarding? 30 mins just to play it safe?

6. I will also be taking a train from NYC to DC during my stay. I was told the 6 a.m. is insanely busy. Anyone know about the trains in the 4a, 5a or 7a hours whether they are also crazy?

I'll probably have more follow-ups. But thanks everyone!

2. Luggage. I have a 25" suitcase that I'm bringing. I know you *can* check luggage, but it would seem to be a bit of a hassle, especially by the time I arrive at Penn Station. Can I carry this on? An if I do, is there anywhere in the roomette to put it so it is largely out of my way? If not, I'll just check it.
Bring it onboard and put it in the private storage cubby over the hallway.

3. Beds. What time do they come around and ask to put it down? What time do they put it up in the morning? How "sturdy" are the top ones? I'm a larger guy and have never really been a "top bunk" person. I understand the benefit of using the top bunk so you keep the seats open on the bottom. Just curious.
Whenever you wish. Most attendants will offer to turn down the room while you’re at dinner, but you can always just ask them to do it whenever you wish. It’s totally up to you. And the upper bunk is plenty sturdy, so you’ve got nothing to worry about there.

Here’s the menu. At breakfast I always get the Buttermilk Pancakes; at lunch I get the Mussels or a Veggie Burger with Swiss cheese; and at dinner I usually also go for the Veggie Burger, since it is actually allowed as a dinner option and is IMO much better than the Salmon or Rigatoni (the only other options I am able eat, since I’m a pescatarian and don’t eat land animals). And though it was a seasonal option that may have been axed since my last ride in the beginning of January, the Spiced Pumpkin Bundt Cake really is a fantastic dessert.

5. How early should I get to the station before my initial boarding? 30 mins just to play it safe?
What station are you departing from, again (since that may affect the time you’ll need to arrive)? Strictly speaking, since your bag is small enough that you don’t have to check it, you would be completely fine if you arrived at the platform literally one minute before departure, but for obvious reasons I would recommend getting there give or take 20 minutes before at most stations. 

6. I will also be taking a train from NYC to DC during my stay. I was told the 6 a.m. is insanely busy. Anyone know about the trains in the 4a, 5a or 7a hours whether they are also crazy?
Which specific train are you referring to? And why do you apparently need to be in D.C. by 9 AM?

Whenever you wish. Most attendants will offer to turn down the room while you’re at dinner, but you can always just ask them to do it whenever you wish. It’s totally up to you. And the upper bunk is plenty sturdy, so you’ve got nothing to worry about there.

Which specific train are you referring to? And why do you apparently need to be in D.C. by 9 AM?
Let me rephrase the question: How *late* will they do it? And do you just kind of find one and ask, is there a buzzer or?

Northeast Regional. Need to be there by like 9 or 10 a.m. based on how I've planned my trip, picking up a car there and doing some other stuff. 

Some attendants want to turn beds down by a certain time (such as 9 or 10pm).  However, most are very accommodating.  

I usually get an omelette for breakfast, Angus burger for lunch and chicken for dinner.

I agree with the previous poster than it may depend on the station.  However, I board in Orlando and usually arrive at least 30 minutes in advance.  

I travel on the Silver Meteor quite often and think most of the crew members are fabulous.  Enjoy your trip.

Let me rephrase the question: How *late* will they do it? And do you just kind of find one and ask, is there a buzzer or?
It will depend on your attendant.  Ask him or her.  There is a call button in the roomette.  Some attendants schedule a time to make the bed and some want you to use the call button to summon them when you are ready.

Back