Taking a Trip CA to NY

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tp49

Engineer
Ok, I've been wavering on this for the past few days. I'm feeling like I need to get away for awhile and I came up with this idea thanks to the rail sale of course.

I would leave Sunday on the Zephyr from Emeryville and take that to Chicago. Switch to the Lake Shore Limited to NYP, then LIRR to the Island. Coming back a week later on the LSL from NYP to Chicago then the Zephyr back to Emeryville.

Due to budgetary limitations I would have to do the ride in coach [unless I can get a great price for an onboard upgrade, and then only on the Zephyr.] I also will not be taking too much stuff with me, backpack and laptop (or small standard size rolling bag).

Am I being realistic with this plan or is it a pipe dream?

I think my greatest concern is the connection factor, and the possibility I might have to stay awake for three days as I'm sure trying to sleep in coach would be difficult.

Staying in NY wouldn't cost me a thing so that's not too much of a problem :)

I think yuu will get a reasonable amount of sleep in coach on the second adn third nights. My experience in sleeping on trains if is if I don't get much the first night(even in sleeper---because I am so keyed up and excited about the whole thing)mother nature will catch up with you and you will get some sleep the later nights.

I have, myself, traveled across country by coach (years ago, when it was my parents money and I dared not ask for more) and it worked out ok. I'm still living.....

I would, like you, be concerned about connections....perhaps have a contingency plan for a low caost hotel if one was needed(or perhaps Amtrak would pay for that????)

Do keep in mind that those big coach seats are quite comfortable.

Go for it, after all a trip on Amtrak is a trip on Amtrak. :lol:

Seriously, as long as you don't mind paying for meals and sleeping in a Coach Seat on board it should be a good trip.

If you choose to go, enjoy!! :)

tp49,

If you can afford the time and money, take the trip. Since the trains are usually quite empty right now, you should be able to get a sleeper upgrade if you really need it. If the coaches are empty, you'll be able to stretch out across two seats, which isn't too terribly uncomfortable. Trust me, you'll get plenty of sleep. It only gets to be a problem when you've got someone next to you.

As far as the connection, it looks like there's a long enough layover between the two trains. As a matter of fact, looking back over the past couple of days, the Zephyr was consistantly on time or within 20 minutes of on time.

So, to sum up this post, no, your plan is not a pipe dream. Take the trip and let us know how it went! :D

Procrastination will keep me from doing this next week. I went to buy the tickets and the dates for the rail-sale changed. Wanting to spend a week in NY I would get stuck with the Thanksgiving rush. I have decided to do this trip in January after the Holiday crunch dies down. The Rockies and Sierra should be extra beautiful with all the snow, and I'll be able to enjoy it a bit more. It will also give me a chance to obtain a new hand-held scanner :)

tp49 said:
It will also give me a chance to obtain a new hand-held scanner :)
Buying electronic equipment is always a good second plan, especially if it will allow you to enjoy Amtrak trips more. :D

Go for it. The on-board discount is limited to 20% according to the last conductor I talked with aboard the Zephyr.

Although there is nothing like sleeping throught the night in a sleeper which is kind of like a luxurious luge hurtling

through dark space, you can manage quite well in coach if you prepare for it. During the day, you'll want to spend alot

of time in the observation car. Your view is severely limited in the sleeper because there's only one window

on one side of the car. The coach can be quite comfortable if you prepare properly.

When you board, tell the attendant you want to sit in the rear of the coach midway between the center stairs and the

back door.

Take a sleeping mask. The overhead lights are often not turned down at night and can be annoying. I have put tape

over the lights near my seat when the attendant isn't around. Some folks use magic marker.

Take maps that show railways so you can follow your progress. Additionally, there like magnets to other riders in the

observation car who want to look at them and ask where you are.

Scanner is a great idea as long as it has a squelch and ear/head phone.

Above the attendants seat is where the small pillows are stored. Snitch three or four when attendant gone. Use them

to prop yourself when you lie out on your coach seat.

Take a light blanket or cotton sheet.

Change into sleeping gear at night. You'll be more comfortable than sleeping in your clothes and it'll feel like your

really getting ready for bed (sweats, heavy socks, no shoes).

Some attendants are grumpy and anal. Be nice, It might pay of. But absolutely don't let them push you around.

Complain to the conductor if it gets out of hand. They'll address the problem.

If you lay over in Chicago, stay at the Hostel near the station.

That's enough for now. Brad

I'm always amazed at the amount of money people must have who post on this discusion site. There seems to be a great deal of emphasis on getting a sleeper no matter what the cost. Being a middle class to poor s.o.b. myself I've taken several overnight trips in coach. Hey, it's not that bad. It would be nice if the seats would recline about 12 degrees more, but they don't. It would be nice if the overhead lights were completely off for the majority of the night-time hours, but they're not. What the heck!

My advice: Grab a few Buds from the lounge car before it closes, bring a decent book, talk to some new friends and fall asleep when you fall asleep. If you wake early, you'll have no problem getting a seat in the dining car car for breakfast.

I got parents right now who pay (and come on :rolleyes: ) for these trips in the Sleepers, but I know once College comes around (2 years) I'll be stuck back in Coach. It's not that big of a deal for me as I like talking with other travelers. B)

dude, i did the trip - but ny->cali in april! if you go for it, the sleeper on the zepher is essential.. if expenses are an issue - go early in the week it's cheaper & ride coach from chicago -> ny.

let me knowif i can answer any questions

Mr. Engineer -

You have the greatest job in the world, i'm so jealous..

any advice on how I could persue it?

I'm not an engineer. Those positions under the user name are just for fun. After you gain a certain number of posts you get a different, more important, position. You start as a Train Attendent and work your way up to an engineer. B)

>>I'm always amazed at the amount of money people must have who post on this discusion site. There seems to be a great deal of emphasis on getting a sleeper no matter what the cost.<<

Hardly. This site is mostly populated by railfans, most of whom enjoy train travel, even for its own sake, rather than just a mode of transportation to get from point A to point B. Most of us are solidly middle class types.

I think most of us infrequently have a chance to travel on Amtrak, and when we do, it is a rare and valued opportunity. Those of us who have experienced both coach and sleepers simply recognize that the latter is generally a far more comfortable way to spend the extra hours (as compared with the swiftness of rail travel, and we realize that the trip is far more enjoyable, especially if there are others travelling.

I believe it is also true to say that the younger one is, the easier it is to rough it. As one gets even a little older and experiences even slightly higher levels of anything, one becomes reluctant to go back to previous experiences. Example: I never thought power windows in a car were any big deal, until I owned a car so equipped. Within a matter of months, I knew I would never again likely purchase anything else. We all feel the same way about that extra bedroom, that electronic gizmo, caller ID, cellphones--once we get them, we wonder how we ever did without.

For me, I realize the sleeper can be costly. But the opportunities are rare and worth the extra expense, because of the immense enjoyment and fond memories theyr provide. When I die, I will be even more thankful that I had such oopportunities, instead of waiting for a time that may never come.

Final advice: If you are going to make multiple posts here, register and be a part of this wonderful forum! :ph34r:

There is a saying which goes something like this, "Your heart is where your treasure is". That surely applies to many of us of us in this forum who frequently ride in sleeper. We really do not get a chance to travel that often, so we make the most of it when we can. My philosophy is to penny pinch as often as I can in other ways, to have the money I need to do what I really enjoy most, travel by train, and if feasible, by sleeper. That is the truest pinnacle of enjoyment for me....a private room, the diner, etc. SO, no, it is NOT a matter of having lots of money to spend on whatever.For instance, I would never go first class on an airline....the only time I have done so it was for free, but that is another story....my sister used to be a stewardess and I flew free helping her use up her mileage before she quit the job....that was years ago.

The point made in the previous post about power windows, sticks with me also....once you get used to something.....

I have done my share of long-distance coach travel, as mentioned in one of the earlier posts on this forum....it was ok, as stated...but the sleeper is "where my heart is."

I wish I had (a lot!) more disposable income to be able to take more (and longer) trips than I do. Every now and again, I will try to make short day trips to one place and back again, just for the ride. Unfortunately, the nearest station for me is 75 miles away.

"When I win the lottery", my money will be going towards travel of all different modes and to all different places. I know others might want big houses and fancy cars. I would take a veritible shack that I could make a "home base" and then I would be off to see the world a few times over. Train travel, here and abroad would be a MAJOR part of how I'd spend my time and money! :)

seajay

Almost forgot, when I win the lottery I'll be in a deluxe bedroom ALL THE TIME and not just a standard room!! :lol:

seajay

Seajay, I identify with things in your note.....yes, I would like to travel the world over several times...I forgot to mention that I usually do not stay in the most expensive hotels. ALso, I idenfiy with the "short trip" thing you mention. Living in Atlanta,I with some frequentcy ride over to Birmingham and back, usually in one day. Just wander around downtown for a couple of hours...Just to get a train"fix"....any train, anywhere...just to get that "fix". When I was a child I lived in Chattanooga and would go to Atlanta for my fix!! Of course I take much longer trips as well, when I can.My total train miles is about 130,400, some of it long trips but much of it shorter.

Seajay,

What are you thinking. Spending all that money just to travel Amtrak in a Deluxe Bedroom all the time!!!!!! Forget that, buy a whole Amtrak train and live in it and since you have soooo much money get each of us a complete train as well. :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

Almost forgot, when I win the lottery I'll be in a deluxe bedroom ALL THE TIME and not just a standard room!!

Well, maybe I wouldn't have a WHOLE TRAIN but I'd sure think about getting a private car that I'd let Amtrak haul me around in! If you guys are nice, I may even invite you to a big cross-country party!! :lol:

How nice it is to dream...

seajay

Amfleet said:
Seajay,What are you thinking. Spending all that money just to travel Amtrak in a Deluxe Bedroom all the time!!!!!! Forget that, buy a whole Amtrak train and live in it and since you have soooo much money get each of us a complete train as well. :lol:   :D   :lol:   :D   :lol:

Almost forgot, when I win the lottery I'll be in a deluxe bedroom ALL THE TIME and not just a standard room!!
You gave me an Idea! B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back