Surfliner Business Class Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoSierra

Train Attendant
Next month, I'll be taking the Pacific Surfliner north from San Diego to Carlsbad Village (so, a relatively short ride) in business class. I have a few questions about business class since I've never been in business class on the surfliner.

I am booked on train 595, the last northbound.

1. How crowded is this train typically (in business class)? I am traveling on a Wednesday if that matters.

2. Looking at a seat map, it shows 2x2 seating on the upper level and 1x2 on the lower level. Is this really the case? Is the lower level reserved for mobility limited passengers, or are they open to all? I'd prefer the single seat if they're open to all. View is not important as I will be traveling well after sunset

3. Does this particular train have an attendant? If not, do I go to the cafe car for the business class snack pack and beverage? Are there self-serve beverages in the car? Are they only on the upper level?

4. Do I tip the attendant like I would in Acela First?

Thanks!

Next month, I'll be taking the Pacific Surfliner north from San Diego to Carlsbad Village (so, a relatively short ride) in business class. I have a few questions about business class since I've never been in business class on the surfliner.

I am booked on train 595, the last northbound.

1. How crowded is this train typically (in business class)? I am traveling on a Wednesday if that matters.

Can't comment on this particular train as I typically travel north of LA on the Surfliner, typically on the lower level. That said, being mid-week and evening you should be ok, especially in business class.

2. Looking at a seat map, it shows 2x2 seating on the upper level and 1x2 on the lower level. Is this really the case? Is the lower level reserved for mobility limited passengers, or are they open to all? I'd prefer the single seat if they're open to all. View is not important as I will be traveling well after sunset

Yes, the lower area is "reserved" for mobility impaired (my wife is in that situation) however, you probably may sit there without problem unless needed. If lower level seats are needed, the conductor will ask for passengers to relocate and and make seats available. As you no doubt saw, there are very few seats on the lower level. Fewer still on the single seat side!

3. Does this particular train have an attendant? If not, do I go to the cafe car for the business class snack pack and beverage? Are there self-serve beverages in the car? Are they only on the upper level?

There is an attendant for business class. That person typically delivers a snack pack to your seat and will ask if you want a beverage. Self-serve beverages are pretty much limited to coffee. You are free to go to the cafe car for other items. I don't believe the attendant will do that for you.

4. Do I tip the attendant like I would in Acela First?

I've never tipped in business class. The attendant performs a pretty basic function. If you were to make a request of the attendant beyond the snack pack and beverage, perhaps a tip would be in order. You may not see the attendant very much anyway!

Thanks!
Inserted comments above based on my experience. Yes, you do have a short trip...less than an hour. Be aware there is one single-level train set in the Surfliner "fleet" that will, of course, have different seating arrangements. I've never taken the time to try and predict when and where it may appear. Enjoy the ride.

Business class passengers do get at seat meal service from the car attendant. I agree with FrensicPic that for the base complimentary snacks you probably don't need to tip the attendant, but I would recommend you do if you have them do extra.

Please check a CURRENT timetable. I believe Amtrak stopped serving Carlsbad in late ‘17 or early ‘18. If so, the Coaster will do the job for you.

Please check a CURRENT timetable. I believe Amtrak stopped serving Carlsbad in late ‘17 or early ‘18. If so, the Coaster will do the job for you.
My bad. Within seconds I checked using the same phone used for my original reply. I was able to get a seat for tomorrow. I apologize for not spending the 45 seconds to check before posting. [emoji19]

You could have just bought a Coaster ticket at the station. Coaster is the local commuter rail service. Amtrak accepts Coaster tickets between San Diego and Oceanside on 561/1761, 567/1567, 573, 595, 584, 590/1588, 792, and 796 (not kidding). You won't get business class, but it's a whole lot cheaper at $5.50 one way.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could have just bought a Coaster ticket at the station. Coaster is the local commuter rail service. Amtrak accepts Coaster tickets between San Diego and Oceanside on 561/1761, 567/1567, 573, 595, 584, 590/1588, 792, and 796 (not kidding). You won't get business class, but it's a whole lot cheaper at $5.50 one way.
Indeed, the Coaster schedule shows Amtrak 595 in that time-slot - 8:52 PM - last train of the day except Fridays and Saturdays.

My adult son, wife and I will be taking the surfliner LAX-SAN in business class this late December. Which side of the train has the ocean views? Also, are the surfliner still running with a business class car and a Superliner serving as a business class car?

We plan to use the Metropolitan lounge, and will probably use the redcap, since I understand it's a long walk to the train. Any information is welcome. This Christmas trip crosses off two more routes from my list. Maple Leaf, Michigan service, the SS/SM south of Columbia SC, ATL-NOL and the Downeaster are left.

I rode the Pacific Surfliner in BC with the OTOL group a couple of years ago. I seem to recall we chose our own seats on the southbound trip (LAX-SOL) and we were assigned seats on the northbound trip (SOL-LAX). I also think that most of us tipped the attendant.

Which side of the train has the ocean views?
The right side of the train since it's southbound.
The Surfliner locomotives pull from Los Angeles and push toward LA. What this means is while selecting a seat, face the locomotive. THEN pick the right side. When leaving San Diego also face the locomotive and then pick the left side.

Thanks for the answers everyone!

They stopped serving Carlsbad Poinsettia (which is the stop that I actually wanted to get off at) October of last year (2017). They still serve Carlsbad Village. Since I'll have to grab an Uber/Lyft/Cab to my destination in Carlsbad, thankfully, it doesn't make much of a difference to me ($3 difference in Uber/Lyft fare)

Is business class really worth it for a trip of less than an hour?
Probably not worth the actual fare, but I had a voucher from a previously cancelled trip to use
default_wink.png
It was $10 more than the unreserved coach fare. ($26.75 total I think) Plus, I've taken the Pacific Surfliner before out of LA, just not in business class, so I wanted to try it out and get the points bonus as well
default_tongue.png

When leaving San Diego also face the locomotive and then pick the left side.
Nope. Facing the locomotive, you always want to be on the right side, regardless of if you're going northbound or southbound. Relative to the direction of travel, it's right side southbound and left side northbound.

Nope. Facing the locomotive, you always want to be on the right side, regardless of if you're going northbound or southbound. Relative to the direction of travel, it's right side southbound and left side northbound.
You’re correct! I’ve ridden that a hundred times and can’t figure out what I was thinking when coming up with that. Gotta be distracted and thinking of how many times I’ve explained to people about the difference between north of and south of LA. Of course this post was ONLY about south of LA. Thanks for catching that and correcting!

You’re correct! I’ve ridden that a hundred times and can’t figure out what I was thinking when coming up with that. Gotta be distracted and thinking of how many times I’ve explained to people about the difference between north of and south of LA. Of course this post was ONLY about south of LA. Thanks for catching that and correcting!
You have to remember, when sitting in LAUS, the locomotive is always on the "north" (outbound) end of the train. When you pull out for San Diego, the train makes a 180° turn out of the station and the loco is now on the "south" end of the train and the right side is the coast side. Going north out of LAUS, the train stays in the same orientation and the ocean will be on the left.

Back