Superliner lav odor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So on my last trip, in addition to talking to a few other passengers , this has come up a few times. On our last leg on the Texas Eagle from Chicago to Fort Worth, when the A/C compressor would turn on, primarily the bedrooms would get a quick but strong lav odor. It wouldn’t last long but it was strong when it happened. Also, when we were on the Southwest Chief, there was an announcement about a similar smell in the SSL and coach cars. Then, during a drive to East Texas and back a couple of days ago, I was able to do a little train watching and saw the 22 Texas Eagle go by, and by golly, after it passed at around 70mph, the air smelled horribly like the lavs. So is this something that is getting to be more regular? Does anyone know if Amtrak is addressing the problem? Are the tanks or vacuum system’s aging and needing to be replaced? If this isn’t on the front burner, what is the best way to get this addressed, because even as a life long railfan and Amtrak lover...this is horrible and needs to be fixed. The smell was even enough for even me to wonder if I really want to risk smelling it on another long distance trip.

Any thoughts?

I got our entire room accommodation charge refunded on our LAX to CHI Eagle ride in January. Our room stunk day 3 north of SA. (H room by the lavs). I’m assuming lavs were not dumped in SA and the trip being Amtrak’s longest overwhelmed the system. I was surprised by the substantial refund I would have been happy with a voucher.

Last edited:
I've never encountered an odor with the regularity the OP mentions, but it does often happen when the holding tanks are full, usually into the second day of a long haul trip. In such cases, passengers will attempt to use the bathrooms and the sensors trip the circuit breakers, shutting off power to the toilets. The car attendant will reset the breakers but eventually they trip often enough that the bathrooms have to be locked and pax in the car are told to go to an adjacent car for their hygiene needs.

I never noticed this happening when I first started riding Amtrak and I wonder if it might have to do with fewer places where the holding tanks can be emptied.

I got our entire room accommodation charge refunded on our LAX to CHI Eagle ride in January. Our room stunk day 3 on north of SA. (H room by the lavs). I’m assuming lavs were not dumped in SA and the trip being Amtrak’s longest overwhelmed the system. I was surprised by the substantial refund I would have been happy with a voucher.

That’s interesting. I thought about trying for a refund but we were on points and to be honest, I upgraded our room at one point and there was a computer error so I already got the room for a point level way under what it should have been.

I’m really more concerned for this to be actually addressed with a fix to the cars.

I've never encountered an odor with the regularity the OP mentions, but it does often happen when the holding tanks are full, usually into the second day of a long haul trip. In such cases, passengers will attempt to use the bathrooms and the sensors trip the circuit breakers, shutting off power to the toilets. The car attendant will reset the breakers but eventually they trip often enough that the bathrooms have to be locked and pax in the car are told to go to an adjacent car for their hygiene needs.

I never noticed this happening when I first started riding Amtrak and I wonder if it might have to do with fewer places where the holding tanks can be emptied.

We did have use of the toilets the whole trip, or at least through FTW where we got off. Our sleeper was even a 421 car going all the way to LAX, that would be a LONG way to go with that smell. I’m really beginning to wonder if there is an issue with these systems and aging.

Its deferred maintenance. The crews on the SWC say management is in a burn it down mode. Last weeks trip was a joke. Diner not loaded with desserts, or salads. Permanent menus aren’t to be displayed including the snack car menu that used to be at top of steps in SSL.Taped up signs everywhere on both trains we were on. The crews want coach customers to know what’s available since management decided to remove the more permanent signs. Toilets in sleepers backed up. It’s disgraceful. Also attendants removed all menus and signs before we got to Chicago so yard management wouldn’t see. Same crew would take same train back to LA next day said they would make new signs.

Attachments

• DBD3D7C1-C97B-48B1-9955-6F78B26BFF79.jpeg
    DBD3D7C1-C97B-48B1-9955-6F78B26BFF79.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 58
  • D35B3735-B496-4EDC-92F6-B4871EA3D49A.jpeg
    D35B3735-B496-4EDC-92F6-B4871EA3D49A.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 56
  • D84C87F9-E223-48ED-ACFD-4E3F9272A7E5.jpeg
    D84C87F9-E223-48ED-ACFD-4E3F9272A7E5.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 54
In regards to the OP, I had a similar issue with a superliner sleeper on a trip I did in August. We couldn’t figure out where the smell was coming from, but it was awful and pungent.

In regards to the taped signs, it’s disgraceful. I noticed the same thing during my August trip. It really is a sad state of affairs when you have a management team that seemingly couldn’t care less, while many of the actual on the ground employees try their best in spite of circumstances.

Back