Super Dome or Cedar Rapids?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which car would you prefer?

• Super Dome #53

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Cedar Rapids

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
I am thinking of chartering either Cedar Rapids or Super dome #53 MSP-CHI-MSP, a few years down the line. I was just wondering, who maybe would ride it, and for how much? Estimated cost is $6200, so I want to try to make at least some of it back. I HAVE NOT set dates, or decided which car I prefer. I was thinking $175 one way, or $300 round trip. Super Dome #53 has a full kitchen that car feeds more than it's seating capacity. Cedar Rapids also has a very small kitchen, but has that awesome glass back. I live in MSP, so I would use cars based out of MSP, both of these are. Here are links to each of them.

https://261.com/fleet/cedar-rapids/

https://261.com/fleet/super-dome/

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't go with you but I am all about the Cedar Rapids. I've been on that car and it is mint. However, I'm a foodie so it would boil down to the food offerings. All things being equal, I'd take the Cedar Rapids. Those chairs are extremely comfortable and the owner is extremely accommodating.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing what chef Joey is capable of in that kitchen makes that a tough decision. Why not charter both. Then subtract the seats you want for you, and your personal group (CONO) subtract that number from total capacity. Take the total charter cost and divide it by remaining capacity band add a fifty percent mark up. Then you make some profit for your next trip. Hope that helps some

To get an idea for pricing, go to Friends of 261. They offer several MSP-CHI-MSP trips per year with both cars. Their site offers $299 r/t, $179 o/w, meals included in Premier class.

I've been on several and they have a good turn out.

I have traveled on both cars when they were in Milwaukee Road or Amtrak service. The Milwaukee Road had unique cars. My favorite cars, however, were the tear drop Dome Observation Lounges or Parlors built by Budd for the California Zephyr and the Twin Cities Zephyr.

Since the Cedar Rapids is owned by the Friends of the 261 and is actively available for rent, while Amtrak has never rented out its dome, it's obvious that Cedar Rapids is the only logical choice, especially for someone living in the 261-based Twin Cities.

Knowing what chef Joey is capable of in that kitchen makes that a tough decision. Why not charter both. Then subtract the seats you want for you, and your personal group (CONO) subtract that number from total capacity. Take the total charter cost and divide it by remaining capacity band add a fifty percent mark up. Then you make some profit for your next trip. Hope that helps some
How should I get advertising to all the people who want to ride this?

I can think of several ways. Trains mag, AAPRCO, newspaper, 261 might help as well. Start a travel agency. Send me a PM and I'll give you my number. It'll be easier to talk that way as I don't always check my inbox here, but I check my texts as they come in.

Back