Suggestions for GRR-CIN trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
I have an internship in Cincinnati this summer and plan to take 371/50 on June 7. I would carry on an airline style checked bag, a rollerboard, and a backpack. I’ll probably book coach, but I’m considering upgrading to BC on either segment. Here are my questions:

1. I’ve never ridden on an Amfleet-equipped train before. What should I know about the coaches (e.g. best seats in a car, luggage advice)?

2. It follows that I’ve never ridden the Cardinal before. What should I know about No. 50 that may be different from other routes?

3. Is BC worth it on the Cardinal?

3. Upon arrival at CIN, I’m debating whether to hop on a Go Metro bus or politely ask a family member to pick me up at zero-dark-thirty. What should I know about the temporary station and access to passenger pickup/bus?

4. During my internship, I plan to use the bus system/streetcar within the Cincinnati city limits (except to CVG at the end of it). What should I know about the Go Metro system and its fare structure?

I’ve done some surface level research on these questions but would appreciate learning from the experiences of others. Thanks for your help and attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been on the Cardinal or travelled to Cincinnati but I can give you the following information about Amfleet as I ride on the NEC and the New Haven - Springfield line often. There's a decent amount of space to stow bags above the seats. Checked baggage may be an option depending on the boarding station and is free for the first couple bags, but its not a necessity in coach or BC if the bags aren't super huge and if the train is not super busy (I only generally check baggage in a sleeper where it becomes a necessity although its not an option on most of the trains I travel locally.) If its not super busy and you end up not having someone next to you that makes it easier also. I find on Amfleet coach you have plenty of legroom but as someone with a larger build sometimes using the tray table for my laptop can be a bit cumbersome in coach class but again I stress I do have a larger build - average size person should have no trouble. On longer trips like when I go to Washington DC for instance I sometimes like to do BC - the biggest benefit is the extra distance from the seat in front of you as its a lot easier for me with my laptop in BC.

Thanks for sharing your Amfleet experiences, lordsigma. I’m leaning toward booking a BC ticket. I hope a kind Cincinnatian can give local transit advice, or a kind Cardinal traveler can give route specific advice.

On arrival in Cincinnati at o dark thirty ( as they say in the military), if you have someone who could/would meet you, I would certainly avail myself of their offer.

You will be in their debt for the rest of your stay but I wouldn’t want to rely on bus transportation at the hours the Cardinal is likely to arrive,

Otherwise, the bus transportation in Cincy is pretty good.

2. It follows that I’ve never ridden the Cardinal before. What should I know about No. 50 that may be different from other routes? No full dining service.

3. Is BC worth it on the Cardinal? Yes - generally uses one of the split lounges with the 2-1 seating.

3. Upon arrival at CIN, I’m debating whether to hop on a Go Metro bus or politely ask a family member to pick me up at zero-dark-thirty. What should I know about the temporary station and access to passenger pickup/bus? Metro does not run during the hours that the Cardinal operates. Space for parking and pickup is limited but available near the temporary station. Make sure they have good directions, as the temporary station is located on a different road than Union Terminal.

4. During my internship, I plan to use the bus system/streetcar within the Cincinnati city limits (except to CVG at the end of it). What should I know about the Go Metro system and its fare structure? Metro has a zone fare structure with zone 1 being within the city and zone 2 being Hamilton County. Northern Kentucky has a separate system called TANK that also operates into downtown. TANK runs a frequent route to the airport.

Hey -- awesome that you will be utilizing the streetcar in CIN. There was a lot of drama associated with getting that completed.

When you arrive in Cincy, I suggest you have someone pick you up. The earliest #1 bus comes at 6am to Museum Center so unless 50 is running late you would be waiting awhile.

For Metro...if you are in Zone 1 for most of the time (i.e you live and work there) then you only really need to worry about that fare. Its generally a few dollars more to go to Zone 2 or other areas. Are you living in CIN and working in CVG? Or is it the other way around? TANK has a cross river shuttle that comes to the same area of Government Square as the other Metro buses if you need to transfer in one location. Not sure if you noticed but there are several express and BRT bus options: Any of the routes that end in X are the express, have limited stops and are usually weekdays only as they are mostly workday commuters. They also can drive on the shoulder in traffic on the highways which is great in rush hour because Cincinnati drivers are crazy bad (in my opinion!
default_mosking.gif
) Metro Plus is great especially if you want to connect to Kenwood Mall or any of the University areas.

Definitely download the EZ Ride app. Also, you can buy a fare card online now. Get the 30 day rolling pass since you will be riding the streetcar too.

Enjoy your time there -- the city is amazing and has so many things to do. If you are working downtown there are many great restaurants and places to go.

Thanks, everyone, for your help and suggestions. I'm halfway through my time here and have enjoyed it. Trip report coming soon!

Back