Stockton, CA Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AAARGH!

Conductor
I am thinking of doing a 3X points run while I am in California in May.

I am considering (all on the same day - Monday 5/17):

• OKJ - SAC (Capital Corridor) 10:15 - 12:15
  • SAC - SKT (San Joaquin Southbound) 4:55 - 5:50
  • SKT - SKN - That is the question
  • SKN - OKJ (San Joaquin Northbound) 8:03pm - 9:55pm
SKT and SKN are the two stations in Stockton, CA.

I called Amtrak and they said I could book online from SAC to SKN and that would include a bus from SKT to SKN. Well, other than a multi-city reservation, it won't let me do that online. When it is a multi-city reservation, the times don't match up. The bus leaves more than an hour after my train arrives, though it does give me enough time to get to SKN to catch the train back to OKJ.

I could always just go one stop further (Modesto) and turn around there. At least it is the same station. It's only $11.50 more, though I would not get any additional points for doing so (well below $50 for each of the three segments).

ANYWAY, does anyone have experience switching stations in Stockton? Is it worth walking between the two and if so, is it safe?

For those not familiar with the station codes:

• OKJ = Oakland Jack London Square
  • SAC = Sacramento
  • SKT = Stockton ACE Station (San Joaquin to and from Sacramento)
  • SKN = The other Stockton station (San Joaquin to and from Oakland)
Thanks.

I have never been successful either in getting things lined up to use the bus from SKT to SKN or vice versa. The schedules are not lined up for us railfans out on joyrides.

I do not recommend walking from one station to the other. It's not a very good area of the city.

I would recommend just going to Modesto, and changing trains there.

It's confusing. Just south of Stockton, the railroad splits into two tracks- one goes to the Bay area and other one goes to Sacramento. Plus, Stockton also serves Altamont Commuter Express.

Amtrak info about Stockton ACE station. Again, another info.

I don't know if the connection with Amtrak is still up to date due to CA financial mess. I think one of ACE trains is also count as Amtrak connection. There was mid-day trip and late night bus, but they're gone. Compare with San Joaquin timetable (connections) and ACE Rail schedule which runs only on weekdays. Maybe it'll accept AGR.

Riding through the Altamont pass is very scenic. It may be still green with wildflowers in the hills in May.

I've walked from SKT to SKN. Both are in slightly dodgy neighborhoods. If you are a Big Scary Guy walking should be ok. If you are a woman walking alone at night, you may want to consider the Thruway bus or a taxi imstead. The nicest part is the downtown area 1/2 way between.

SKN has ticket agents. SKT has quik-trak only.

The taxi ride is about $5 or $6 however taxi service in Stockton is spotty. It's eaither 3 taxis waiting for no one or 3 people waiting and no taxis to be found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riding through the Altamont pass is very scenic. It may be still green with wildflowers in the hills in May.
Which train (segment) goes through the pass? I am not too good with California geography.

Thanks for the links. It looks like the $0.25 bus is a good option, though I am now leaning toward a Modesto turnaround. After all, more time on the train and less stress in the turnaround.

Which train (segment) goes through the pass? I am not too good with California geography.

Thanks for the links. It looks like the $0.25 bus is a good option, though I am now leaning toward a Modesto turnaround. After all, more time on the train and less stress in the turnaround.
Your last segment would go through the Altamont Pass. Your first segment will rim the bay from just past Richmond to past Martinez after you cross the Suisun Bay. Then it's over marshlands to Suisun/Fairfield and then on to Davis and SAC. It's a very nice trip. Enjoy! :)

Your last segment would go through the Altamont Pass. Your first segment will rim the bay from just past Richmond to past Martinez after you cross the Suisun Bay. Then it's over marshlands to Suisun/Fairfield and then on to Davis and SAC. It's a very nice trip. Enjoy! :)
Thanks!

I assume the middle leg between SAC and Stockton is nothing to write home about then? :huh:

I have been on the CZ between SAC and EMY, so I know (and love) the scenery around the north bay. It will be nice seeing it in the morning instead of as the sun goes down (both of my CZ runs were late).

This whole thing is a combination of a points run and adding the trackage between SAC and SKT. The other two legs I have been on or will be on the next day as I leave Oakland for Santa Barbara via Bakersfield.

The last segment will not be over Altamont Pass. The only way to ride over Altamont would be to take the ACE train over toward San Jose, not the San Joaquin back to OKJ. The northbound San Joaquin will be west out of Stockton through the Delta region via the former Santa Fe through Antioch, switching over to UP's Moccoco line at Port Chicago and joining up with the Cal P route at Martinez, and returning to OKJ through Richmond, the same line as outbound from Martinez onwards.

The "split" at Stockton Tower takes the Sacramento bound San Joaquins off the BNSF (Santa Fe Valley line) and onto the UP. The OKJ bound San Joaquins just stay on the BNSF. The ACE trains stay wholly on the UP, and Stockton is their terminal station. The SKT station is the former SP station, while SKN is the former Santa Fe station.

The last segment will not be over Altamont Pass. The only way to ride over Altamont would be to take the ACE train over toward San Jose, not the San Joaquin back to OKJ. The northbound San Joaquin will be west out of Stockton through the Delta region via the former Santa Fe through Antioch, switching over to UP's Moccoco line at Port Chicago and joining up with the Cal P route at Martinez, and returning to OKJ through Richmond, the same line as outbound from Martinez onwards.

The "split" at Stockton Tower takes the Sacramento bound San Joaquins off the BNSF (Santa Fe Valley line) and onto the UP. The OKJ bound San Joaquins just stay on the BNSF. The ACE trains stay wholly on the UP, and Stockton is their terminal station. The SKT station is the former SP station, while SKN is the former Santa Fe station.
You're right. My bad...

I was thinking of the ACE to San Jose route. :(

Twice as much view of the bay though! :cool:

Thanks!

I assume the middle leg between SAC and Stockton is nothing to write home about then? :huh:

I have been on the CZ between SAC and EMY, so I know (and love) the scenery around the north bay. It will be nice seeing it in the morning instead of as the sun goes down (both of my CZ runs were late).

This whole thing is a combination of a points run and adding the trackage between SAC and SKT. The other two legs I have been on or will be on the next day as I leave Oakland for Santa Barbara via Bakersfield.
You would be correct the leg between Sacramento and Stockton isn't much to write home about at all.

Last fall a friend and I took CalTrain from SF to SJ, the ACE from SJ to Stockton.. we tried to connect to the last San Joaquin to take us back to Oakland, but a combination of a late running ACE and absolutely no taxis in sight at the Stockton ACE station meant we had to walk between the 2 Stockton stations and missed the San Joaquin by 5 minutes. We ended up going downtown by cab (oddly enough there were 2 cabs waiting at the deserted Stockton Amtrak station) having dinner then catching a late night Thruway bus from the ACE station back to Oakland. Was a fun, spur of the moment trip.

You would be correct the leg between Sacramento and Stockton isn't much to write home about at all.
I'm glad I did it in the dark then! :blink:
You're lucky you did it in the dark. I think that stretch between Stockton and Sacramento is one of the most depressing parts of the San Joaquin route. All you see are run down houses and homeless people living in tents.

For the OP: I actually wouldn't bother with going to Modesto and back just to ride that dismal piece of track, although I understand doing it if that's the only part of the California system you have yet to ride. There isn't much to see in Modesto during your layover and you can easily max out the AGR points by doing a couple of quick runs from SAC or OKJ instead.

I'm glad I did it in the dark then! :blink:
You're lucky you did it in the dark. I think that stretch between Stockton and Sacramento is one of the most depressing parts of the San Joaquin route. All you see are run down houses and homeless people living in tents.

For the OP: I actually wouldn't bother with going to Modesto and back just to ride that dismal piece of track, although I understand doing it if that's the only part of the California system you have yet to ride. There isn't much to see in Modesto during your layover and you can easily max out the AGR points by doing a couple of quick runs from SAC or OKJ instead.
I have yet to venture out there (to the San Joaquin route) so I'll take your word for it. ;)

I was also going to suggest maybe something like OKJ-SAC, SAC-SJC, then SJC-OKJ to the OP for a points run. There are more options (trains) during the weekdays than what I usually have to sort out on weekends (when the trains run about 2 hrs apart in both directions) so even a 4th segment on the CC is likely do-able with some creative planning. :)

I have an idea. If the OP is intent on connecting in Stockton it might make some sense to have the phone number of a taxi company before leaving and calling about ten to fifteen minutes prior to the train's arrival at Stockton ACE to ensure a cab is there waiting.

I'd also skip Modesto, other than the Doubletree hotel which looks very out of place there isn't much to see or do in downtown Modesto either. Many of the cities in the Central Valley between Sacramento and Bakersfield are economically depressed.

ANYWAY, does anyone have experience switching stations in Stockton? Is it worth walking between the two and if so, is it safe?
Unless you're into the ACE adventure (which I'm not sure is possible without midday round trip gone), I'd suggest just booking the appropriate bus. It's 300 more points for your wait, and less futzing around with the possibility of late trains.

I've walked from SKT to SKN. Both are in slightly dodgy neighborhoods. If you are a Big Scary Guy walking should be ok. If you are a woman walking alone at night, you may want to consider the Thruway bus or a taxi imstead. The nicest part is the downtown area 1/2 way between. SKN has ticket agents. SKT has quik-trak only.

The taxi ride is about $5 or $6 however taxi service in Stockton is spotty. It's eaither 3 taxis waiting for no one or 3 people waiting and no taxis to be found.
A big scary guy? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back