Standardizing Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't have to be every drink, maybe 1 per scheduled hour of run time and a meal if the trip is more than 2.5 hours, under that and you should get at least a snack pack. 

2+1 configuration for sure and PLEASE let me pick a seat on line when I book the trip!

He still could, assuming Congress doesn't try to fire him for ringing their collective bell. 

He hasn’t done much to improve the customer experience so far that’s for sure.  Closing stations, closing the legacy lounge in Chicago, ending the ppc’s, and ending the full service diners on 2 trains. And that’s so far.   Now must of that is related to long distance but I haven’t seen any improvements to Acela and regional trains either.  

The Am1 interior refresh is a .pretty significant plus in regional service. A similar project is set for Acela to refresh them until their already ordered replacements show up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Am1 interior refresh is a .pretty significant plus in regional service. A similar project is set for Acela to refresh them until their already ordered replacements show up.
Yup. Also the improved Cafe offerings with Boar's Head etc. Everyone that I have talked to among my NJ/NY acquaintances that ride Amtrak pretty regularly on the Corridor seem to love that and feel Amtrak has improved service on the NEC in the last two years.

My idea with the recent news is (or at least hope) is that he gets some sort of flexibility with existing funds to "make Amtrak more financially solvent" and finally gets Congress to pony up adequate funding to keep the long distance trains going. More corridor services would bring in more ridership and allowing them to use their existing billion to do that would be a big step along with Congress finally getting their bluff called. As much as they want to kill Amtrak, they never do. But that is for a different post. 

Business class from a different angle. Which one is business though?amfleet business.png

amfleet coach.png

My point is the difference is minimal. Even asking my roommate, his justification was to pick the white one cause white upholstery  = cleanliness = expensive

An AM1 BC car has curtains and a bit more legroom. Other than on the NEC and LD, the states that pay the bills get to call most of the shots on service and amenity levels. Take NYS  sponsored trains for example:  BC is a 2+1 split car, but since NYS has elected not to staff cafes on NYP to/from Albany runs, no comp coffee or soft drinks, while trains going past Albany have it. Incosistent, yes, but not on AmtraK.

Amtrak is still the contracted operator, they have some away in setting standard amenities on trains they run. The states could divorce from Amtrak, but I don't think the public would take too kindly to Amtrak getting canned for some other operating company because they tried to increase amenities. 

Blaming the states is silly.  Amtrak simply says “in order to provide a consistent business class brand system wide, the following must be provided”  and then the states choose to pay for bc or they don’t.  

Also, it isn't like Amtrak has gone out of their way to work with the states to adjust products.  There's a reason that several routes handle their own OBS...

Not much more. Isn't it really just some curtains, a little bit of extra legroom, and a foot rest?
You get curtains, nearly as much legroom as an Amfleet II, foot rests, and a complimentary soft beverage. You also get some bonus AGR points and a better cancellation policy. I personally don't think it's worth the extra cost, but it's definitely more than just a "can of soda".

Back