St louis MO

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by ref5035, Jul 23, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jul 23, 2019 #1

ref5035

r

ref5035

Train Attendant

Doing a crazy long distance round-trip from LA,

Trying to get in one more round of western long distance trains before something happens....

I don’t know how I did it but I was able to grab a crazy fair which will be all sleeping cars the whole trip...

La to St Louis on the Texas Eagle

Stay 3 days in st louis

St Louis to kansas on the missouri river runner
    To catch
    The Southwest cheif back to LA

So my question is ?.

never been to St. Louis ....looking for anything there hotel suggestions near the train station something to do for a couple days...

dogbert617 likes this.
  2. Jul 23, 2019 #2

dogbert617

d

dogbert617

OBS Chief

There's a LOT you could do in Saint Louis. Going up the Gateway Arch obviously, and don't forget there's a museum in the lower level and by the entrance about the settlement of Missouri and other states that used to be French territory, till the Louisiana Purchase. I'd also say going to the National Blues Museum would be nice, walking through Forest Park would be cool, going to the art museum and other free museums(i.e. planetarium, Missouri History Museum) within that park(all VERY surprisingly are free, even that art museum!), going to the Delmar Loop neighborhood, Tower Grove neighborhood(and for that matter, Saint Louis does have a lot of good parks throughout the city), Soulard neighborhood(don't forget to check out that farmer's market, which is open just from Wednesday to Saturday from 7am-5pm), and Anheiser-Busch(sp?) brewery tour. Also, Ted Drewes is a decent custard stand. If you're into microbrewed beer, there are a lot of microbreweries that've popped up nowadays in that area, from Urban Chestnut Brewing, Schlafly

If you don't have a car, their bus system is actually pretty good, plus it's nice they do have a light rail system(Metrolink) that makes it easy to get around that city and to nearby suburbs on the Missouri and Illinois sides. As I remember it's only $7.50 to get an all day pass, for their buses and light rail system. One last idea you could do IF you had enough extra time, is to explore Belleville, IL on the Illinois side. It's accessible by Metrolink, and has a pretty nice downtown. Also if you don't mind that you'd have to either take Madison County Transit bus #18 over to there(and then you'd have to do a 0.75 mile walk west of the Colllinsville Rd/Black Lane bus stop, you'd pick up the Madison County Transit #18 bus from the Emerson Park Metrolink stop in IL) or do an Uber/Lyft, you could try to visit Cahokia Mounds.

Someday I'd like to try riding the MO River Runner, since I still haven't ridden that Amtrak train myself.

3. Jul 23, 2019 #3

ref5035

r

ref5035

Train Attendant

I d be happy to fill you in when i get back ....now i m just struggling with a scanner i bought, lol. I m totally not tecky, Had numerous people try to tell me how to do it but I still draw blank

dogbert617 likes this.
  4. Jul 25, 2019 #4

chakk

c

chakk

Conductor

there is also a large railroad museum on the west side of st louis. not sure how to get there by public transit; i've always had a rental car

5. Jul 31, 2019 #5

NorthShore

NorthShore

NorthShore

OBS Chief

City Museum.

Grand Blvd arts/entertainment district

St Louis Basilica

When in St. Louis, one must eat bar b que from one of their many fine restaurants. Perhaps, Pappy's Smokehouse. Then, stop at the Fountain on Locust for ice cream, after.

6. Aug 8, 2019 #6

ref5035

r

ref5035

Train Attendant

As promised some comments on the Missouri River Runner train....
    Well we didn’t start off too good as the inbound train had a bad order of the café car.....
    So they switched it out there by the time everything was completely started off an hour and a half late...
    It was a little touching go because there were over 30 of us on the train connecting to the west bound chief in Kansas City..

The conductor...was extremely helpful ...but he was waiting to hear if we would be bused or if they would hold the chief and wait for us....
    About an hour before arrival in Kansas City they told us they would hold the chief for all the connecting passengers....

No I have to say that was a very scenic train for a 5 hour ride especially if you sit on the right side going west the rivers along your side very pretty the entire trip....

Seems like the tracks were in great shape mostly fast running the entire time....
    I would recommend it to anybody

7. Aug 8, 2019 #7

ref5035

r

ref5035

Train Attendant

As far as visiting St. Louis I’d have to say my timing unfortunately was not good because the Chicago cubs were in town for a three day set which I didn’t know how many people came from Chicago to see a baseball game in St. Louis but the place was packed,
    In addition there was a religious retreat Oh some type with brought in another 30,000 people...

So I was able to get a hotel in something called Brentwood Heights which is only about a 15 minute ride which turned out to be extremely nice I was one lesson a mile away from the galleria....
    I did the normal tourist thing and went into town and took a tour of the Budweiser facility which is really totally amazing complex I recommend it to anybuddy....
    Was only there two days so I did not do much else there was there for 2 days. I could walk to from my hotel including the library right next-door

Bob Dylan and dogbert617 like this.