Southwest Chief Derailed in KS 03/14 early AM

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O

Conductor
Just heard from a relative that the SWC derailed in KS--going east. He was in a sleeper and his car is fine but apparently another car/several cars may be on their sides. Anyone have any news?

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears to be 4(12)

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Amtrak-derailment-in-Gray-County-371944922.html

CIMARRON, Kan. - Several Amtrak rail cars reportedly have derailed in Gray County, three miles outside Cimarron. There's no immediate word on injuries.
Thanks. I see it says 5 cars on their side.

"UPDATE: Highway Patrol reports 5 ‪#‎Amtrak‬cars are on their side, 3 miles west of‪#‎Cimarron‬. Still no word about injuries."

I rode #4 from Galesburg to Chicago on 03/11. Very full train, with 4 coaches. The day before, I rode commuter trains on the South Shore Line between Chicago and Michigan City, IN. Yesterday, one of THEIR trains derailed, closing the line for 24 hours.

I now know I shouldn't have made that "jinx" comment about the Sports Illustrated cover! ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1457938349.631732.jpg

Getting word that the Southwest Chief #4 has derailed west of Newton, KS. Hope that injuries are minimal.

One passenger in surgery. A couple injured are critical according to news reports. 3 is sitting in Newton and will be diverted south through Belen.

I'm due out on No. 3 from Chicago Tuesday with my service dog. I've seen one report that the Chief will be rerouted from Newton, Kansas, to Albuquerque. This may require some negotiation with the conductors about a site between Newton and Albuquerque where the dog can get some fresh air, so to speak.

I'm due out on No. 3 from Chicago Tuesday with my service dog. I've seen one report that the Chief will be rerouted from Newton, Kansas, to Albuquerque. This may require some negotiation with the conductors about a site between Newton and Albuquerque where the dog can get some fresh air, so to speak.
The last report I saw, which could be old by now, was that the 13th & 14th #3's would detour. That doesn't mean the 15th won't detour, but it may be too soon to know.

We were on 4(8), so this would not have been our trainset.

Coaches are on their sides, lounge is listing. Other reports mention two other cars derailed but upright, so I would presume those were the diner and 0430 sleeper.

We rode coach both ways on that train over New Years. Some thing about the constant thunk thunk made me wonder many times if a derailment was imminent. I guess I got spoiled riding trains in Germany as a child.

There was a lot of work going on when we were through there last week, so could be a factor. OTOH, this type of derailment where it's trailing cars rather than the head end favors wheel issues. I hope not, because that rains all sorts of misery on Amtrak and equipment condition.

7:45 a.m.

An Amtrak passenger recalls feeling "shaking" before her car and several others overturned in southwest Kansas.

Twenty-one-year-old Kelsey Wilson says she was traveling on the train to return to Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri, when she was awoken early Monday. Wilson, of Pueblo, Colorado, says she hit her head as the car became disconnected and overturned about 20 miles west of Dodge City.

She says she escaped through the top of the flipped car and then slid down the side. She said she then "passed out" and was among at least 29 people taken to hospitals for treatment. She was released with a neck brace.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/31460403/the-latest-passenger-recalls-shaking-before-derailment?utm_campaign=Contact+SNS+For+More+Referrer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=snsanalytics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back