[Southwest Chief 3:Coach seat] Loading Luggage on racks: Am I too shor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chrysitan

Hello,
this is my first time riding Amtrak and I got a couple of questions:

I'm about 5'0' ft tall, will I have a little trouble putting my luggage on the Coach racks of the Southwest Chief?

Can I put them somewhere else or ask for assistance to load and unload the luggage?

Thank you !

There is plenty of floor level storage on the lower level where you first come aboard. Generally the Conductor or Car Attendant will help you with your bags there. If you take them upstairs most likely a neighbor will be more than happy to sling them onto the overhead if Crew isn't around. Folks on the train tend to be very helpful and friendly.

Olympian Hiawatha is right ~ people on the trains are very friendly and helpful. Being 5 ft. as well, I usually try to load my one case in the rack provided as you enter the car but if it's full I make the effort to try to hike it up to the overhead. That's when people come out of the woodwork to help because they can see there's NO WAY this person is going to get that case up there. Me climbing up onto the seat is their first clue :) ..... Have a great trip, and rest assured - someone, either "official" or just a taller traveler, will be more than happy to help you!

As has been said, my first choice would be the luggage racks on Superliners just as you enter the car on the lower level. If that space is full and you carry it to your seat, I'm almost certain you'll receive help lifting your bag(s) up to the luggage rack above your seat - either by the Conductor, attendant or other passengers! I'm a male who is 6 feet tall and have been offered help with getting my bags up in the rack - many times by passengers.

Hi!!! I'm also only 5 feet tall. :)

Sometimes us shorties have some challenges. I have no problem placing my bags in overhead racks but I'm not tall enough to reach them once they are up there. I stand on a seat to get them down or generally someone near by sees me struggling and helps out.

Ditto the other posters. I'm 5'6", and my boyfriend is 5'8". We always help people with their luggage, especially those who are petite and/or elderly.

I 6'0" and my funniest time helping stow luggage was when I was boarding a plane (late in the boarded process) and a short flight attendant asked if she could "Borrow my hight" as I stowed my luggage and sat down. The task was putting my hands near the top of an overhead bin to help close it properly.

Hahaha!this is so helpful!

I was kind of nervous, I appreciate all of you for taking your time to reply so quickly!

Thank you for your wishes, and your stories, I got confidence now! :D

Back