South West Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At present we are thinking of going CHI to LAX on the South West Chief. Any thoughts on the best direction of travel? I have taken the CZ westbound, that was fantastic.

Both ways are fine, IMO. You could just ride it both ways, because the SWC is faster than the CZ. Got no money? Then you should'a booked five months in advance.

Edit: spelling error

Last edited by a moderator:
That is our favorite route to date. (Just something about the Southwest for some of us.) Have fun.

Both ways are fine, IMO. You could just ride it both ways, because the SWC is faster than the CZ. Got no money? Then you should'a booked five mounths in advance.
Yknow what, sometimes it is best to control the urge to reply to everything if one does not have anything positive to contribute. I hope you do realize not everyone in the world has infinite time and money. If the OP had the intention to travel both ways, s/he would have not asked the question to choose a direction in the first place.

I have done SWC journey eastbound and I enjoyed it, especially the daybreak in the high desert of AZ and the ride through vast open AZ/NM area. What I missed was crossing the Cajon Pass in daylight, in winters it gets dark as soon as the train pulls out of LAX. I don't know if the situation will be any better westbound.

At present we are thinking of going CHI to LAX on the South West Chief. Any thoughts on the best direction of travel? I have taken the CZ westbound, that was fantastic.
Since I start from the east, I always prefer taking Amtrak west. It's a great way to see the transition of geography from the familiar to the unfamiliar. Heading west on the SW Chief, you go from the green plains of the midwest to prairie, mountains, desert, and finally the LA basin. Assuming you are flying one way, to me the flight seems to work better heading home. I've used Amtrak in the homeward direction, and as the landscape become familiar, I get bored and just want it over with.

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!

I've only traveled the SWC eastbound as far as Albuquerque. I love seeing the plains of Kansas at night and then the transition to the mountains of Colorado at daybreak. The Raton Pass in CO/NM is gorgeous, and the Glorieta Pass in NM is equally breathtaking.

Both ways are fine, IMO. You could just ride it both ways, because the SWC is faster than the CZ. Got no money? Then you should'a booked five mounths in advance.
Yknow what, sometimes it is best to control the urge to reply to everything if one does not have anything positive to contribute. I hope you do realize not everyone in the world has infinite time and money. If the OP had the intention to travel both ways, s/he would have not asked the question to choose a direction in the first place.
Well, I can't decide either, I just wanted to say that there's not much difference, if any. So the OP can choose based on other reasons that are not directly related to the train.

One of best view is at AZ/NM border where the colorful cliff is. Going westbound in winter will be dark. Cajon is best eastbound in summer.

Sorcha is right about sunrise over the plains, westbound. It's a beautiful sight.

Best view would be riding both ways for train foamers!

One of best view is at AZ/NM border where the colorful cliff is. Going westbound in winter will be dark.
Some photos from this area from my trip on the Southwest Chief eastbound last November-

6327072309_e73c268ba8.jpg

6327822666_e65bbabc6e.jpg

6327822720_d241545e3a.jpg

It sure is very beautiful :)

I really loved the scenery from the SWC on the full day in the middle of the trip. I enjoyed the transition from plains to southwest plateaus/mesas immensely. I went westbound from CHI - LAX.

You can see my pictures at my blog trainsacrossamerica.blogspot.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back