South Florida turnaround stop

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by fixj, Jun 21, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jun 21, 2019 #1

fixj

fixj

fixj

Service Attendant

I want to take a trip on the Silver Meteor from Washington to the Miami area this fall. The train trip is really the destination, so my question is where to get off for the turnaround in South Florida? Which locations have the best stations, Lyft, and nearby hotels for a quick turn around? West Palm, Delray Beach, Deerfield Beach, Ft Lauderdale or all the way to Miami?

2. Jun 21, 2019 #2

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

There is a Doubletree in Deerfield Beach that has a shuttle that will transport you to and from the Amtrak station (and the beach if you so choose).

In my opinion, there are no decent hotels close to the Miami station.
    Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood are better options than Miami.

dogbert617 and Bob Dylan like this.
  3. Jun 21, 2019 #3

OBS

O

OBS

Conductor

I agree, anywhere but Miami...

4. Jun 21, 2019 #4

bratkinson

bratkinson

bratkinson

OBS Chief

Thank you, Penny, for coming up with a good hotel for an overnight or two in South Florida.

I tried to do a quick one-night stay in South Florida in January and had planned to ride the new Brightline. Unfortunately, a 3+ hr late Silver Meteor southbound put the kibosh on that idea. I also decided to 'stay cheap' at the Days Inn Ft Lauderdale on Broward Blvd a couple of blocks from the station. Big mistake! It's a dump and they refused to offer shuttle service to the station. So it was a 15 minute walk each way. Fortunately, I have rolling luggage so it wasn't too terrible. Perhaps this October or November when it cools down in Florida, this New Englander will book 2 nights to ensure I can ride the Brightline end to end and catch Tri-Rail from Deerfield to Miami and back (to catch/return from Brightline).

5. Jun 21, 2019 #5

chrsjrcj

c

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

Maybe I am biased, but I prefer West Palm Beach over the larger Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. There are a number of hotels in the downtown area that are a short cab ride away from the Amtrak station. In downtown, Brightline is a short walk away and a free city trolley (Green Line) more or less connect Brightline and Tri-Rail. Clematis Street has a decent number of restaurants and there is also an outdoor shopping mall called Rosemary Square (formally known as CityPlace) within walking distance too.

https://downtownwpb.com/trolley-2/

6. Jun 21, 2019 #6

jiml

j

jiml

Train Attendant

IIRC, there's a decent Marriott that might be walkable from the West Palm station. It's been awhile...

7. Jun 21, 2019 #7

MARC Rider

M

MARC Rider

Conductor

The other thing to consider is that later in the fall, it will be getting dark soon after the train leaves West Palm Beach. This will be especially true if the train is late. So if I were doing this, I'd turn at West Palm Beach, which looked like a pretty nice place, at least from the view of the train.

8. Jun 21, 2019 #8

fixj

fixj

fixj

Service Attendant

I spent the day searching google maps of the five South Florida stops I think I'm down to Deerfield Beach and the Double Tree or West Palm and the Double tree.
    How about Lyft in these areas. Are they prompt and frequent?

9. Jun 21, 2019 #9

pennyk

pennyk

pennyk

Conductor Staff Member Administator Moderator Gathering Team Member

When in Deerfield Beach, I either walked between the station and the Doubletree or took the hotel shuttle. Every time I stayed at the hotel, I had dinner at a restaurant at the beach and took the hotel shuttle.

I never needed to take Lyft, but I assume it active.

10. Jun 21, 2019 #10

chrsjrcj

c

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

I've only taken Lyft once and it was in Boca Raton. I didn't have to wait more than 2 minutes for the driver to show up (this was during the lunch hour, after I just missed the bus), but it was very expensive. There are also a number of cabs that meet the train in West Palm Beach, although I have never needed to use one so I can't speak to their reputation.

11. Jun 22, 2019 #11

Chatter163

Chatter163

Chatter163

OBS Chief

Definitely not Miami.

12. Jun 23, 2019 #12

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Lead Service Attendant

My heart is breaking into a million pieces at the thought of taking the train all the way from WAS to South Florida only to turn around and return. Having said that..
    -Uber and Lyft are ubiquitous, never any problem getting a car.
    -There are hotel options at all of the stops you mentioned.
    -Miami being the end of the line, by that time you've been on the train all day; the earlier stops you mentioned are advantageous for that reason alone, in addition to other considerations.
    -Miami airport hotels have the advantage of being less expensive (not all of them, but in general)

13. Jun 23, 2019 #13

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Uber is not as ubiquitous as we had hoped. In Springfield MA we could not find one after arriving by LSL. Fortunately a city bus came to our rescue.

14. Jun 23, 2019 #14

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Michigan Mom

Lead Service Attendant

My response was specific to South Florida. in Miami-Dade and Broward counties we have never had a problem getting a car within 5 minutes.

15. Jun 23, 2019 #15

fixj

fixj

fixj

Service Attendant

Many thanks for the replys.