Sorry to the family...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangesaint

Train Attendant
... that will not have a family bedroom on the train I just booked for late April. Blame Amtrak for having it only be $50 more then a roomette and about $250 cheaper then a standard bedroom.

The extra space that I would have made it a no-brainer for me, but how much money is Amtrak potentially losing with this transaction? It's not as if I am booking a train last minute, this is in the end of April. How often does this happen to Amtrak? And they wonder why they are losing money?

Exactly. It may be that the roomettes and bedrooms are selling pretty fast, but the family bedrooms aren't. There are some disadvantages to the family bedroom (lower level, no ensuite bathroom like a normal bedroom, etc.) so people may not want them.

There's also the potential that your specific segment of the trip fills a gap in the demand for that family bedroom as well. For example, on the Empire Builder there may be someone booking it CHI - MSP and WTN - SEA. If someone's looking for a room MSP - MOT, it'd make sense to try and push them towards that room to fill that gap as easily as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
... that will not have a family bedroom on the train I just booked for late April. Blame Amtrak for having it only be $50 more then a roomette. . .
$50 more? Fooey! Sniff around long enough and you'll find a Family Room less than a Roomette! And after a bit more sniffing you can even find a day when both a Superliner Bedroom and a Family Room are less than a Roomette. Welcome to the wild & wacky world of Amtrak fares.

Another person with the "losing money" attitude... They set that as the price for a reason.......
You seemed to just trail off there. Please continue.

It may be that the roomettes and bedrooms are selling pretty fast, but the family bedrooms aren't. There are some disadvantages to the family bedroom (lower level, no ensuite bathroom like a normal bedroom, etc.) so people may not want them.
Interesting theory for one of Amtrak's rarest compartments that can host up to four passengers and still has over three months to sell. What's your explanation for why bedrooms are allowed to undercut roomette prices?

Sniff around long enough and you'll find a Family Room less than a Roomette! And after a bit more sniffing you can even find a day when both a Superliner Bedroom and a Family Room are less than a Roomette. Welcome to the wild & wacky world of Amtrak fares.
I've seen that as well, but just because no other passenger rail line or airline or hotel does this doesn't mean it's wild or wacky. Just ask the nearest Ampologist.

I'd guess the thinking (if any) is along the lines of "school's still in session, so it's unlikely we'll fill that room with a family." Have you checked the availability in, say, July?

I don't think anyone...any human, at least...is doing any thinking at all about those prices. Always remember:

"To err is human. To really screw things up, you need a computer!"

The most uncomfortable room I ever rode in was a family bedroom. It had a terrible ride quality, it was hot, and the windows were a bit small. It was probably the most scared I've ever been on an Amtrak train as far as safety goes. I would happily take an upper level roomette (if traveling solo) than a family bedroom if both were the same price.

Thanks for the responses. To clarify a couple points: I will not be on board for the full duration of the route, but I will be from it's biggest mid-point city within the route, to its final destination, and will be on board approximately 18 hours. The same train from it's origin point to the midpoint where I board is also showing the same arrangements (family bedroom available for approximately $250 less then a standard bedroom, and about $80 more then a roomette). I am going to refrain from naming the route.

It does appear that standard bedrooms are selling fast. (So why not wait until they sell out and "force" someone to take the higher bucket family bedroom price when they do?)

It is a Sunday evening into Monday departure (for me), so while school will be in session; if a family is on a trip they could be deciding to have the kids be off on the Monday for it. Someone suggesting testing a July date. On the date tested, the arrangement seems more logical: family bedroom being $120 or so more then a standard bedroom, and nearly double the cost of the roomette.

Still, the trip is just over 100 days away. Seems like they are "giving up" too fast. Though of course I am happy to take it.

I have been on the lower level a couple times, and there hasn't seemed to be much of a difference. I've never been in a family bedroom. I can see the lack of toilet and shower being a minor deterrent, but its not a big deal (to me).

Thanks again for some interesting feedback, it will help me not feel guilty on trip day.

Ah but the handicap room has its own toilet, the family room does not. Of course having to sit on the pot to look out that side of the train has its drawbacks too. We have decided that neither wants the upper bunk so two room ette s works great for us. I prefer the larger albeit public toilet as well

No need to feel guilty. It's not like you're taking the handicapped room.
Ah but the handicap room has its own toilet, the family room does not.
I think the point about taking a handicapped room, would be the implied taking it from a truly handicapped person who needs it.

IMHO, the family room is an accommodation openly available to anyone, first come first serve.

Ah but the handicap room has its own toilet, the family room does not. Of course having to sit on the pot to look out that side of the train has its drawbacks too. We have decided that neither wants the upper bunk so two room ette s works great for us. I prefer the larger albeit public toilet as well
We are doing the same next Monday leaving from Portland Or to Sacramento then onto Chicago, south to New Orleans then west to La and back north to Portland. My spouse will use the handicap room and I will have a roomette as we can't do the top bunks . Can't wait and hoping for some winter weather going east.

I think that you are over thinking it entirely. Not going to name the route...We're not talking about a mistake fare here. They have revenue management people and algorithms to set the prices. You simply bought a room at a price that they set. No worries at all.

The other way to look at it is that Orangesaint paid $50 more for a room than he needed to... admittedly, it's a bigger room than a roomette, but Amtrak has hardly "lost money" on the deal.

Oranges 'aint the only fruit, old fruit :p

Ed :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back