Some New Equipment Plans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
If some of you remember over the summer I had drew up some of my own Viewliner plans on a home arcitecture program. Well no I have come up with a 6 car fleet that would represent the original Streamliner cars on the exteriors while retaining a modern and functioning interior. Tell me what you think and if you have any questions, just ask. :)

baggage.jpg

sleepingcar.jpg

crewcar.jpg

diningcar.jpg

lounge.jpg

coachsmoking.jpg

coach.jpg

Interesting designs, good job. :)

Two things that leap out at me are: One, place a door between the crew quarters and the overflow dining area. Second 2 showers in the crew dorm is a great waste of space IMHO. One should be more than enough. I don't know what you could do with the extra space, other than another bedroom, but it certainly doesn't need to be a shower.

Remember also that the cars have a very limited amount of hot water, so two people could never shower at the same time without running out of hot water.

I forgot that there would be limited hot water. What I think I'll do is move the shower into that empty space, put two rooms where the showeres used to be, then delete rooms 10 and 11 putting in 2 more tables. No that I have 2 extra tables in the over flow I think I'll take out 2 tables in the diner and extend the kitchen.

As for the doors I just didn't put them in. The should be at the ends of each car, plus between the dining and crew area of the crew car.

Thanks for the nice comments. :)

By the way, you forgot my Executive Suite, which I ordered for the sleeper. :lol: :D :p :)

After all I've got to have some standards for my convenience, when I travel. :lol:

Yoou just want an executive suite. That's to bad considering I was going to give you a whole train. Oh well. It's to late now. I'm already designing your "executive suite."

:lol: :D :blink: :lol:

I want a FREE ride on your train, also in an executive suite all my own.And I want a generous supply of chocolate chip cookies right outside my door. (oh god, not that again!)

My silly remarks aside, I genuinely like your ideas. I like the idea of another large room in the sleeper and the diffrentiations you make in the other rooms. I like the idea of a smoker in coach, I like the lounge car layout.

What are the distinctions you are making btween the economy berths and standard bedroom? By economy berths are you thinking about reviving the old sections? Also, do your standard bedrooms have lavatory and toilet? It doesn't look like they do.

Regarding the Lounge car I forgot to metion that on the side with the 2 person booths, the four person booths are suposed to half circle booths with a table in the center. The bar is going to be rounded and the on the wall infront of the bar will be a counter so free snacks can be laid out. The whole decor is to be like the upperlevel of a Auto Train Superliner I Lounge. B)

I think those plans are think they're very impressive, but you know me I'm dreaming of a Viewliner fleet, and I prefer the Double Window feature(Bottom Superliner Size, Top Amfleet I Size). I think the interiors are very good concepts. Two questions:

How'd you manage to find the time to do all of that?

More importantly, Do you think those designs (interiors, except for sleeper) could be incorporated in a Viewliner? :unsure:

I just work on this stuff when I have the free time. I've been working on them since early December and I've probably spent about 5 hours on them total.

I'm sure you could put it into a Viewliner design, but you could probably save on materials and money by making a Streamliner design. They would still include one row of large Superliner sized windows. Also if these cars were built they would be very low tech (in today standards meaning no complicated computers or overpowering electrical systems).

Amfleet said:
Viewliner,I remeber at one point you were doing Viewliner exteriors. You still working on those?
I have some done, what I don't I'll be doing on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, when I have a day off, and can use the computer at my dads office.

So put in your requests now.

Amfleet said:
So put in your requests now.
Can you do more than Viewliners. Mabey a Streamliner design?
No need, Click Here where they should have some, where I found the Viewliner and Modified it (Personal Use), I can make modifications to those though if you give me an Idea of what you want changed from the Heritage Look.

VERY nice, Amfleet.

Good call on the luggage racks...viewliners are missing those completely...there's no where to put it!!!

As for the showers in the crew car...I disagree with Alan. Two is minimum. In the Transition sleeper for superliners there are typically 4 or more. This is important because usually everyone is all getting ready at the same time. We need those showers! And I have NEVER run out of hot water!

And how about NO dining room seating in the crew car at all? I know you would have those doors, but that's just not the same. Over the summer, when we lost the Denver sleeper on the CZ, but people had tickets for it, they gave away the first few rooms in the crew car (there are doors dividing it). This was not great. We crew people need our own get away place. It is nice having a car to ourselves.

Great job....will be interested to see whatelse you offer!

Well remember the Superliner is a much larger car and has more room to store water. The 10-6 single-level crew dorms used today only have one shower too and since (I'm guessing) most of the crew is up before the other passengers, they can utalize showers in the other sleeping cars. As for the crew car used for Dining Car overflow I think it is a good idea. VIA Rail Canada even makes its crews sleep in different sleeping cars throughout the train. Also is a crew member really going to be sleeping or trying to rest during meal service. Remember, when the crew sleeper was used on your train passengers were in that car 24 hours a day and using the same bathrooms and showers. That could definetly cause havic.

Otherwise thanks for the nice remarks. :)

tubaallen said:
As for the showers in the crew car...I disagree with Alan.  Two is minimum.  In the Transition sleeper for superliners there are typically 4 or more.  This is important because usually everyone is all getting ready at the same time.  We need those showers!  And I have NEVER run out of hot water!
And how about NO dining room seating in the crew car at all?  I know you would have those doors, but that's just not the same.  Over the summer, when we lost the Denver sleeper on the CZ, but people had tickets for it, they gave away the first few rooms in the crew car (there are doors dividing it).  This was not great.  We crew people need our own get away place.  It is nice having a car to ourselves.
Four or more? Where could Amtrak put them? The car would need a major overhaul for that.

The transition sleepers were built with 3 showers I believe. There is one on the lower level, like the regular sleepers. That one could service either the crew or the handicapped room. Then there are two on the upper level. One is basically in the middle of the car, right about where the one upper level toilet is in the regular sleeper. This shower was designed to be for the crew.

The second shower is by the door at the end of the car with the high level pass through. This shower was to service the 8 standard public bedrooms, which Amtrak has since chosen not to sell.

While I can appreciate your need for a quite minute Tubaallen, IMHO this is a major source of lost revenue for Amtrak. These rooms should and must be sold when the train is full. This is especially true now with the current shortage of sleepers.

Perhaps Amtrak needs to put in a real door, instead of the swinging panel doors on the upper level. This might provide a little more privacy for the crew, plus you've still got the crew room downstairs.

Having this car exclusively for crew also has another real problem for Amtrak. There are a few who seek refuge in the crew dorm and neglect their passengers. Yes, there are many crewmembers such as you, who do work hard. However, is there was no place to hide out; those lazy crewmembers would have to do more work.

Ps. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to take a shower in a Superliner Deluxe room, only to find cold water. In fact, I learned to run the sink tap first to see if there is any hot water. Of course these days, I usually just go downstairs to the public shower anyhow, as it's much larger than the one in the deluxe room.

hello

On VIA Rail Canada there are no crew cars at all. Crew is spaced out through the sleepers for security/saftey reasons. This would make one less type of car Amtrak would have to pay for if they got all viewliner single level long distance trains.

John

The transition sleepers were built with 3 showers I believe. There is one on the lower level, like the regular sleepers. That one could service either the crew or the handicapped room. Then there are two on the upper level. One is basically in the middle of the car, right about where the one upper level toilet is in the regular sleeper. This shower was designed to be for the crew.
I remember from those new safety instrcutions with the diagrams that on the lower level of the Transition Sleeper there were just 2 complete bathrooms, one on each side. They had a shower, vanity, and toilet. Then on the upperlevel I think there was a shower, but I know there were two restrooms. I still took out one of the showers in my crew car design. This allowed me too push forward all the bedrooms and add two more tables in the overflow section. Then in the dining car I took out two tables, pushed everything back and extended the kitchen (which is good considering they're is enough capacity for 72 people, the capacity of a Superliner Diner!).

Amfleet said:
I remember from those new safety instrcutions with the diagrams that on the lower level of the Transition Sleeper there were just 2 complete bathrooms, one on each side. They had a shower, vanity, and toilet. Then on the upperlevel I think there was a shower, but I know there were two restrooms.
Well based upon the info I've seen, the lower level of the transition sleeper on the handicapped side, is identical to a standard sleeper. That means that there is a handicapped bedroom, 2 bathrooms on the left side, another bathroom on the right side in addition to 1 shower with changing room. (Left & Right directions assume that you are looking towards the handicapped bedroom.)

It's only on the other side, the family room side, that the trans sleeper differs. Here instead of 4 standard bedrooms and 1 family room, you have a crew room with tables.

As for the upstairs, I'm not really sure about the number of showers. I can tell you that there are only two rooms listed as bathrooms. Both are large enough and both have a wall design that indicates that they might be showers. However, it is possible that they are only large bathrooms.

Well maybe the next time someone is on a Superliner they can check the diagram. :)

Another odd thing about that diagram though. On the lower level of the Sightseer Lounge it showed two booths but then the rest was the casual seating you would find upstairs. This was on a Superliner I layout.

Amfleet said:
Well maybe the next time someone is on a Superliner they can check the diagram. :)
Another odd thing about that diagram though. On the lower level of the Sightseer Lounge it showed two booths but then the rest was the casual seating you would find upstairs. This was on a Superliner I layout.
Shush! :ph34r: Don't tell anyone, but that's what I'm looking at. I found an extra one smushed in my seat when I went to put my bed down, one night on my last trip. Since there was already another one in the window, the smushed one accidentally fell into my computer bag. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back