Solari Board at PHL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is big news in the Philly area today (overshadowing Trump vs. Pelosi).   The media is reporting that they started to take it down on Thursday (fake news?).   Its going to be displayed at a train museum, with the hopes it might return back to 30th Street if Amtrak can find an alternate use for it (to display today's soup?).

Board was removed last night. (1/26)
tenor.gif

Glad I got to see it a few times while it was there. I feel like Amtrak is really missing what makes train travel special. Nobody buys a ticket on Amtrak to see a solari board (ok.. well someone might have at one point! :p).  But it's the little things like the old solari boards clacking away, the old benches in LA Union station,  the flowers on the dining car table, the conductors punching tickets, the old style announcements. These are some of the things that make train travel unique.  Now Amtrak is not a museum or nostalgia ride, they need to keep up with the times and adapt when necessary... but since some of the appeal of train travel is the unique charms of train travel.. I think amtrak is missing something by letting all of these charms just go away. 

As a side note... I know it's going to the Railroad Museum of PA... but wouldn't it be cool to install the thing across the street at Strasburg Railroad and let it click clack away for each train departure!?  Not exactly historically accurate for a small town "East Strasburg" depot, but fun none the less! ha

As a side note... I know it's going to the Railroad Museum of PA... but wouldn't it be cool to install the thing across the street at Strasburg Railroad and let it click clack away for each train departure!?  Not exactly historically accurate for a small town "East Strasburg" depot, but fun none the less! ha
Ah, but there would be depressingly few train departures at the Strasburg RR compared to PHL. I would think it would be cool/possible for the museum folks to program it to continue to display train status at 30th Street. That would ensure ongoing action.  (But leave out the Thruway buses, for Pete's sake).

Glad I got to see it a few times while it was there. I feel like Amtrak is really missing what makes train travel special. Nobody buys a ticket on Amtrak to see a solari board (ok.. well someone might have at one point! :p).  But it's the little things like the old solari boards clacking away, the old benches in LA Union station,  the flowers on the dining car table, the conductors punching tickets, the old style announcements. These are some of the things that make train travel unique.  Now Amtrak is not a museum or nostalgia ride, they need to keep up with the times and adapt when necessary... but since some of the appeal of train travel is the unique charms of train travel.. I think amtrak is missing something by letting all of these charms just go away. 

Couldn’t agree more. Train travel is expensive and slow, so if they strip away all the amenities and service associated with it, just what is the point in it? Anyone who can fly, will fly.

Unless rail service is able to provide compelling core transportation value not met by any other means with a set of basic travel services minus all the bells and whistles and nostalgia, it has no hope of long term survival, in this cut throat world pf competition. The bells and whistles and nostalgia are good additions, but not the core value of the mode. Of course the social/political environment makes a huge difference, in terms of what is considered to be value and what is not. But somehow I suspect there are not enough people who care for nostalgia enough to keep the entire mode going.

Unless rail service is able to provide compelling core transportation value not met by any other means with a set of basic travel services minus all the bells and whistles and nostalgia, it has no hope of long term survival, in this cut throat world pf competition. The bells and whistles and nostalgia are good additions, but not the core value of the mode. Of course the social/political environment makes a huge difference, in terms of what is considered to be value and what is not. But somehow I suspect there are not enough people who care for nostalgia enough to keep the entire mode going.
Well Rail service certainly does do that in Philadelphia.  

There’s a big difference between wanting nostalgia, and wanting a nice travel experience that makes it a valid alternative to flying or driving. We all know Amtrak really can’t compete when it comes to concrete stuff like speed and cost, so why not make the most of the benefits it can offer? Someone taking a long, luxurious vacation likely won’t really care about Amtrak being slow or a bit pricier than flying, if it’s worth the time onboard. The only way train travel can stay at all relevant is by making the overall experience superior.

Still, this is starting to digress from the Solari Board...

Back