Slidell loophole in reverse possible?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Last year I did the slidell to LA loophole trip via chicago and Portland. Is it possible to do this in reverse? I am no longer seeing that come up when I plug in LAX -> SDL.

Last year I did the slidell to LA loophole trip via chicago and Portland. Is it possible to do this in reverse? I am no longer seeing that come up when I plug in LAX -> SDL.
I don't think you can book it via Portland OR. Arrow will construct the Chief to the Capitol to the Crescent, but it will not construct a route using the Starlight to Portland and then the Builder to Chicago.

I just plugged in LAX-SDL for a month from today (May 3rd) and got three options:

1) LAX-NOL via the Sunset Limited and NOL-SDL via the Crescent;

2) LAX-CHI-CVS-SDL (SW Chief-Cardinal-Crescent)

3) LAX-CHI-WAS-SDL (SW Chief-Capitol Limited-Crescent)

Isn't the Slidell loophole caused by one train leaving before your train gets in so AGR either has to put you up in NOL or figure out a different routing?

Perhaps that fortuitous timing does NOT occur in the opposite direction.

Yes - and no!

The SL (if you're lucky :lol: ) arrives NOL in the afternoon, but the Crescent leaves in the morning. So that throws out the "overnight" argument. But I also think that Arrow never gets down to that option, since it only shows a certain number of trains on the screen.

Either that, or Amtrak got smart! :lol:

Anyone know what the best loophole trip is now that Slidell to LA is no longer available?

A couple of weekas ago, after reading cancellation possibilities, I called AGR & was told I could, in fact, go SDL to LAX to PDX on a 2 Zone trip!!! Am I missing new info? I HOPE NOT!!! :eek:

I did SDL to Seattle as the loop whole, via LAX! The lady gave me three choices, via the EB, via the CZ, or via the SWC. So I picked the SWC.
So is only the SWC the option that goes through LAX? Or can one take the EB to portland, then portland to LAX? I am surprised why this is not showing up on amtrak.com , perhaps something has changed in the last month?

Back