Sleeper on a Regional? What did I see at PJC yesterday?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just before 4:00 p.m. yesterday, a train came through Princeton Junction going south. I believe it was a Northeast Regional (might have been 85?) and the engine was 668. As it went by, though, I saw what looked like a sleeping car as the last car, but the back looked a bit different (although that might have just been the sun glare).

It was going very fast through PJC, though, so I didn't get a good look. It seemed unusual, so thought I would ask here if anyone knows what it was and what it was doing on the back of a Regional.

Thanks!
default_smile.png

If the back was one huge sheet of glass, it was Amtrak's theater car, which is a modified Viewliner.

It must have been "American View" then--looked very much like the photo GBNorman posted above (without, of course, the holiday tree!
default_tongue.png
)

Thank you all--now that mystery is cleared up, I can go and concentrate on my work without wondering about it in the back of my mind all day!
default_smile.png

It's a great car on the inside too. Most class ones and a handful of the larger regionals (Wheeling and Lake Erie). The rear generally has stadium style seating so everyone gets an equal view of the back, usually there is a set of headlights on the rear for nighttime viewing.

They are really nice cars to ride in. Of course most will never get a chance to ride in one because it's usually reserved for the top brass. I've worked on the NS one and can attest it is a very interesting car to be on at speed.

From the pictures, it does look very nice and comfortable--almost like seats in a living room looking out the back.

Of course, although Princeton Junction is great for casual train watching, it's not good for seeing details as the train goes by, because they just zoom through there on their way to their next stop!

So it was nice to see the photos on here of what went zooming by me yesterday!
default_smile.png

Back